Is there reason to be optimistic about the future?

8 hours ago, IUB74 said:

I want IU to be consistently in the running for big ten championships, making deep runs in the NCAA and winning one every so many years.

Since IU has won 5 championships in 80 years so it is hard to expect them to win one every few years.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That fight and resiliency is something that was missing from a lot of previous teams.

Which ones?  14-15 team gave Wichita State a better game on a neutral court in the actual tournament.  And heck, even the 16-17 team managed to win a game in the BTT.

The way I see it, a rebuild develops in stages over time. Last year, we had no post season. This year, we made the NIT. Next year, I expect that we will also make the post season. I want it to be in the NCAA tournament, but I don't believe that is an absolute necessity or a deal breaker when it comes to CAM. I do believe in him and his process. I also know it will take time to instill all that he wants to see in a program.

For those that claim we should be farther along, or compare where we are vs where an OSU or Louisville are, I'd offer the following-

- Neither of those schools moved to a drastically different philosophy as did IU when we moved from Crean to CAM. There is no discernible difference in the way Louisville plays now vs how they played under Pitino. Same can be said with the move from Matta to Holtman. IU made a change from a run at all costs, try to outscore your opponent, turnovers and defense are secondary approach to almost the exact opposite. Players mindsets had to change. Some have adapted, some are in the process of adapting, some may never adapt. Holdovers from the Crean era were recruited to play a specific way, and their skill sets have to evolve to a different set of circumstances. IMO, this impatience is really telling of folks not interested in the long term success of the program, but more interested in returning to the roller coaster ride we had with Crean. 

I am not ready to bail on the coach, nor am I ready to bail on any of these kids. Progress did come this year, even though it was stymied by injuries and youth. Good things are on the way.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Which ones?  14-15 team gave Wichita State a better game on a neutral court in the actual tournament.  And heck, even the 16-17 team managed to win a game in the BTT.

Watford/Hulls' sophomore year

Vonleh's year

Crean's last year

8 hours ago, IUfan93 said:

I’m not optimistic. I said this in the post game thread. I think the state of this program is depressing. I don’t know what it’s going to take to right the ship but I’m so tired of ‘looking forward to next year’ only to be disappointed again. Archie has shown flashes of being a good coach and then we see the Pack line D make All Americans out of mediocre players and get lit up from 3. We need shooters and ‘help isn’t on the way’. Not to mention watching the offense stand around especially your supposed lottery pick disappearing in the corner most games just doesn’t lead me to believe this program is turning the corner any time soon. The fanbase is out of patience for 3-5 year rebuilds. I want to be wrong because honestly I just want to love IU basketball and look forward to watching them be a top B1G team again. 

I guess I am an optimistic person and don't let what a basketball team does on the court make me depressed.  it is only a game and if this is the worst thing to happen in our lives then we are very fortunate.

I have a question for some on here you acts so depressed just because IU is not winning up to your standards.  How does IU winning effect your life in any way that makes you guys so miserable when we don't win up to your standards.  We all like winning and want to see us to do well but it seems like some just take this way to seriously.  How is your life any different in the years that we won championships compared to seasons like this one.  Sports are for entertainment and if it is not entertaining to you then why keep watching if it makes you so miserable.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have a question for some on here you acts so depressed just because IU is not winning up to your standards.  How does IU winning effect your life in any way that makes you guys so miserable when we don't win up to your standards.  We all like winning and want to see us to do well but it seems like some just take this way to seriously.  How is your life any different in the years that we won championships compared to seasons like this one.  Sports are for entertainment and if it is not entertaining to you then why keep watching if it makes you so miserable.

When people say they are "depressed", I always take it to mean "in the terms of the scope of the program", not "life in general".

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Lol, dude we are literally talking about one teeny tiny bit of our lives on this forum.  If this was the, "My career is going well" forum or the "I love my kids" forum the tone would be totally different.

Don't mistake people complaining about IU sports on an IU forum as somehow an indication that a freaking game completely ruins our overall mood.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don’t we all watch sports for the thrill of winning but that the suffering during defeat is part of it? Some of us, get the thrill of watching our biggest rivals in defeat. That’s what makes sports great. As fans, we show our emotions good or bad. Do some take it too far? Sure. But why do you even watch if you stay so even keeled through an entire game/season? Why watch something that doesn’t provoke some sort of emotion out of you?

- It's hard to win when you can't shoot. Having two high volume, low accuracy shooters leave will help that some. Hopefully, Hunter will help that even more. I doubt we're going to be a great shooting team next year, but I think we might be average. In games where we were shooting the ball decently this year, we were pretty darn good. 

- It's hard to win without size in the front court. TJD will help that some. Hopefully a fully healthy Davis will use the summer to get a little more athletic and be able to play more minutes and more effective minutes.

- As promising as RP was/is he was not ready to be a starting PG in the Big 10 as a freshman. Hopefully he will be ready as a sophomore.

- We finished the season 6-2, beat one very good team, one pretty good team and no real cupcakes. If we played at that level, including the bad stretches, for the entire year, we would probably be ranked. 

I like Archie, his will to win, his hatred of losing, his energy, and his toughness.  Other than a couple of guys, his roster does not match the coach’s mentality. 

For that reason, I’d like to see wholesale changes to the roster.  Ideally, we’d get a five new players coming in.  Two could be grad transfers  and another freshman or juco to go with the two we have signed. 

We need a roster that’s tougher and smarter, with better chemistry and synergy.  We also need shooting.

I hope Archie has it in him to make these difficult changes. Regardless of record, we didn’t have a team that played in a manner we would consider exemplary let alone be proud of.  My concern is Archie has been too permissive and I hope that doesn’t portend allowing guys back.   I will be very disappointed if we come back with the same crew minus Romeo and the seniors.  We need some excisions to the roster.  

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I like Archie, his will to win, his hatred of losing, his energy, and his toughness.  Other than a couple of guys, his roster does not match the coach’s mentality. 

For that reason, I’d like to see wholesale changes to the roster.  Ideally, we’d get a five new players coming in.  Two could be grad transfers  and another freshman or juco to go with the two we have signed. 

We need a roster that’s tougher and smarter, with better chemistry and synergy.  We also need shooting.

I hope Archie has it in him to make these difficult changes. Regardless of record, we didn’t have a team that played in a manner we would consider exemplary let alone be proud of.  My concern is Archie has been too permissive and I hope that doesn’t portend allowing guys back.   I will be very disappointed if we come back with the same crew minus Romeo and the seniors.  We need some excisions to the roster.  

Part of Archie's mentality is "Play the hand you're dealt".  We're not going to see wholesale roster changes like that.  That's not how you build chemistry and synergy. 

24 minutes ago, Ib4IU said:

Don’t we all watch sports for the thrill of winning but that the suffering during defeat is part of it? Some of us, get the thrill of watching our biggest rivals in defeat. That’s what makes sports great. As fans, we show our emotions good or bad. Do some take it too far? Sure. But why do you even watch if you stay so even keeled through an entire game/season? Why watch something that doesn’t provoke some sort of emotion out of you?

I get upset and yell during the games but what I am talking about is how people act after games and even a few days after losses.

30 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

- It's hard to win when you can't shoot. Having two high volume, low accuracy shooters leave will help that some. Hopefully, Hunter will help that even more. I doubt we're going to be a great shooting team next year, but I think we might be average. In games where we were shooting the ball decently this year, we were pretty darn good. 

- It's hard to win without size in the front court. TJD will help that some. Hopefully a fully healthy Davis will use the summer to get a little more athletic and be able to play more minutes and more effective minutes.

- As promising as RP was/is he was not ready to be a starting PG in the Big 10 as a freshman. Hopefully he will be ready as a sophomore.

- We finished the season 6-2, beat one very good team, one pretty good team and no real cupcakes. If we played at that level, including the bad stretches, for the entire year, we would probably be ranked. 

All of these points are fair. I’d add if we can NOT have chemistry issues you add at least 5-6 wins to this team OR MORE.

13 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

- As promising as RP was/is he was not ready to be a starting PG in the Big 10 as a freshman. Hopefully he will be ready as a sophomore

Naw. RP is a beast and is only going to get better. IMO.. of the entire team, RP is the most valuable player on this IU roster going forward. 

19 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Part of Archie's mentality is "Play the hand you're dealt".  We're not going to see wholesale roster changes like that.  That's not how you build chemistry and synergy. 

I like Archie and hope for the best.  I am not holding anything against him right now, but we have a few markers to watch. 

1.  His team lacks shooting both from range and at the free throw line. In today’s game, the math tells you that you need to shoot the three ball.  

2.  He lost 12 of 13. Chalk that up to a novice coach. That should never have happened with the roster he had.  At northwestern, at Rutgers, at home to Nebraska, there were winnable games.  He needs to figure out how to address a losing streak, even if it’s three on a row. 

3.  He permitted dumb and lazy play and was afraid to use his bench to motivate. He’s got guys at the end of the bench that he was too afraid to play.  Considering the extreme negative action by guys, even letting some bench guys come out and hustle and scrap would be enough of a helpful motivator.  

If we are still talking about these same things in two years then it becomes a Crean situation where you’ve got a flawed guy.  

As for the hand  you’re dealt, I couldn’t possibly disagree more.  That’s not a winning mentality.  He will lose again next year if he doesn’t make changes and the ropes will be coming out.   

Yes.  I saw a team whose tourney hopes still could have survived the issues and injuries if they had just shot the ball and defended even marginally better as a team. 

There are huge shoes to fill with Morgan graduating and Romeo(the only  consistent scorers) still likely going to the NBA,(as of the last word I heard, anyway). 

Better fortune with health is where it all starts in 2019-20, though. It's hard to play right when a team can't practice normally for the majority of a season in a tough conference. Everyone needs to step up and the collective can do better than a team with one or two guys showing up regularly. We'll see, and plenty of things yet to be settled before I get too excited or worried about next year.

55 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

When people say they are "depressed", I always take it to mean "in the terms of the scope of the program", not "life in general".

This exactly. 

IUSCOTT please reread my post  I did NOT say I was personally depressed 😂 I said the STATE of this program is depressing.  My life does NOT revolve around IU basketball.  I like many just want IU to be consistent and a winning program again.  It’s been down far too long and that’s depressing but certainly not anything that has me jumping off the ledge or affecting my daily happiness in life.  This is a forum where people discuss their feelings about IU BASKETBALL not a general life forum.  Two separate things my man...

47 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

In today's game you need at least 2-3 guys on the floor at all time who are rain makers.  Villanova last year had 5.  I don't think we have a single one on our roster and may not have any next season either.  The fact that Archie hasn't grasped this concept yet should be downright frightening to us all.

Archived