Is there reason to be optimistic about the future?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 10:19 AM, RJPaisley said:

I'm a Durham fan. I look forward to his growth next yr. He seems to have a great work ethic.

Durham will be the key, he was the only one who brought some energy and attitude. Isn't his dad a coach? I often saw Al talking during breaks. I think he becomes our "coach on the floor", and gets in some faces. 

45 minutes ago, Sapperin LA said:

Durham will be the key, he was the only one who brought some energy and attitude. Isn't his dad a coach? I often saw Al talking during breaks. I think he becomes our "coach on the floor", and gets in some faces. 

Al was literally the only player on the team to meet expectations or maybe surpass it a little. Juwan was going to have a hard time playing better than last year so a wash for him. outside of that everyone else underachieved according to expectation. Injuries and other issues played a role in that but still....that's pretty impressive to have the entire roster not met expectation. That sucked for us last year but it's good for us going into next season. Lot's of room for big jumps.

(Our Defense was better collectively to be fair)

3 hours ago, JWoolsey said:

Al was literally the only player on the team to meet expectations or maybe surpass it a little. Juwan was going to have a hard time playing better than last year so a wash for him. outside of that everyone else underachieved according to expectation. Injuries and other issues played a role in that but still....that's pretty impressive to have the entire roster not met expectation. That sucked for us last year but it's good for us going into next season. Lot's of room for big jumps.

If all but one player underperformed, as you say, and the team still had a winning record and went to the third round of the NIT, I’d say that was a helluva coaching job.

Can’t wait to see what this team can do when they meet/exceed expectations in CAM’s systems 

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If all but one player underperformed, as you say, and the team still had a winning record and went to the third round of the NIT, I’d say that was a helluva coaching job.

Can’t wait to see what this team can do when they meet/exceed expectations in CAM’s systems 

If it’s starts turning more into this then.....ooo weeeee. Perfect type of coach / play style / age for me. 

https://ibb.co/Q67Nbd5

If it’s this....I’ll be a rooting for myself to look very foolish. 

https://ibb.co/6FwtqBJ

I’ll keep mouth shut and an open mind all year. I owe him that to be fair. I'm stoked either way, it should be a lot of fun. 

11 minutes ago, JWoolsey said:

If it’s starts turning more into this then.....ooo weeeee. Perfect type of coach / play style / age for me. 

https://ibb.co/Q67Nbd5

If it’s this....I’ll be a rooting for myself to look very foolish. 

https://ibb.co/6FwtqBJ

I’ll keep mouth shut and an open mind all year. I owe him that to be fair.

I wanted to ask you a question, and in no way do I mean this to be disrespectful or anything. I 100% respect the amount of thought and analysis that go into your posts. You're a great member of the community and again you put a ton of thought into posts, which is all anyone can really ask. 

With that said, lately I've had a difficult time sort of getting where you're coming from at times, and it hit me today. I'm not sure if you're rooting for IU to win or for yourself to be right. Like, would you rather see IU win in a way that proves all your analysis wrong, or IU lose in a way that proves you right? You don't owe me anything, but I realized I wasn't sure of the answer to that question and how you answer would go a long way in how I respond/engage with you. 

I hope you don't take me asking that the wrong way. I appreciate all you bring to the board. 

4 hours ago, JWoolsey said:

Morgan met expectations, following a very good Jr year.  Romeo by most accounts exceeded his expectations in regards to points and rebounds.  Phinisee easily was better than expected.  Davis, when healthy, met expectations.   Smith,Fitzner, Forrester...they didn't move the needle much

i will always love the Hoosiers and watch them through thick or thin, but i'm not very optimistic.  i still say we had serious chemistry issues and not convinced the problems are gone.  i also feel like we had 2 solid offensive players and both are now gone.  i know some are Green fans, but i don't like feast or famine players a whole lot.  that's just me.  anyway wit Romeo and Juwan gone, it's hard to see TJD being better than either as a freshman.  even harder to see who else would pick up that slack.  sure, Green I suppose, but you really get the bad with the good in a big way there.

19 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i will always love the Hoosiers and watch them through thick or thin, but i'm not very optimistic.  i still say we had serious chemistry issues and not convinced the problems are gone.  i also feel like we had 2 solid offensive players and both are now gone.  i know some are Green fans, but i don't like feast or famine players a whole lot.  that's just me.  anyway wit Romeo and Juwan gone, it's hard to see TJD being better than either as a freshman.  even harder to see who else would pick up that slack.  sure, Green I suppose, but you really get the bad with the good in a big way there.

Just color me hopeful.  It's nearly impossible to have a repeat of the level of injuries we had last season.  No doubt that contributed to our failures last season.  I see a gradual infusion of talent.  I also think CAM has only partially instituted his brand of BB  thus far.  I see us making the NCAAT next year.  I also doubt we see a losing streak like we saw last season repeated.  Also, CAM now has the luxury of using the bench for motivation when he needs it this coming season.  All in all, I still see us on an upward trajectory.  However, I don't see any significant movement of the "needle" for 2 more years. That's when CAM will have the program established with his players, system, and culture.   

1 hour ago, FWIUFan said:

Just color me hopeful.  It's nearly impossible to have a repeat of the level of injuries we had last season.  No doubt that contributed to our failures last season.  I see a gradual infusion of talent.  I also think CAM has only partially instituted his brand of BB  thus far.  I see us making the NCAAT next year.  I also doubt we see a losing streak like we saw last season repeated.  Also, CAM now has the luxury of using the bench for motivation when he needs it this coming season.  All in all, I still see us on an upward trajectory.  However, I don't see any significant movement of the "needle" for 2 more years. That's when CAM will have the program established with his players, system, and culture.   

We thought he would be able to use the bench as motivation this past year too. It wasn't just injuries that kept that from happening. I hope it happens, but I'm in wait and see mode on that one. 

6 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

i just don't agree about the injuries.  in a demanding college bball season you're going to have injuries.  look at our top 7 players and how many games and minutes they played.  it's really not that bad.  

13 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i just don't agree about the injuries.  in a demanding college bball season you're going to have injuries.  look at our top 7 players and how many games and minutes they played.  it's really not that bad.  

Who are you calling our top 7 players?

26 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Injuries does not only effect the games but it effects how you can practice and id you are short 3 or 4 players every day then it is hard to get in a good practice.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Who are you calling our top 7 players?

Just a guess, but I'd say JH was one of our top 7 and he didn't play all year! Why is it that IZZO and other coaches can complain about losing one player and HSN just says next man up and injuries are no excuse? Remember how worried everyone was when Zion went down! Don't quite understand the injuries don't matter mentality?

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Davis, Romeo, and to a lesser extent Zach all played with injuries and their on-court performance was affected. Davis couldn’t elevate and his stamina didn’t allow him to play extended minutes. Romeo’s shot was affected by his thumb. Both played but not to their capabilities. Zach didn’t see the floor for multiple games.

Playing, and playing to one’s ability, are two different things.

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Just a guess, but I'd say JH was one of our top 7 and he didn't play all year! Why is it that IZZO and other coaches can complain about losing one player and HSN just says next man up and injuries are no excuse? Remember how worried everyone was when Zion went down! Don't quite understand the injuries don't matter mentality?

I am trying to figure that top 7 thing out.  I guess he meant the top 7 available?  I dunno

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I am trying to figure that top 7 thing out.  I guess he meant the top 7 available?  I dunno

Yeah I guess we should just ignore the Scott May and Alan Henderson injuries? With good coaching IU should have still won those NC's?

5 minutes ago, rico said:

C'mon man, you forgot about Kitchel.  Geez.  I give up!!!!!!  LOL

Article that talks about the seriousness of Kitchel's injury.  

I quote....."The Bucks team physician said it's no longer safe for Kitchel to play basketball with a re-injured back." 

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/09/30/Guard-Sidney-Moncrief-of-the-Milwaukee-Bucks-saying-he/6412433742400/

If you want a wildly optimistic scenario:

1. De’Ron works like a madman all offseason.  He comes in slimmer and well conditioned, with some renewed athleticism with over a year behind him since the injury.  He’s already a load to cover in the post.  If he gets that body right, he can be brilliant scoring down low.  Incredible combo of power and touch. 

2.  Green legitimately has turned the corner.  He’s had false positives before but you’d like to think his late season surge portends what he’s going to be the rest of the way. 

3.  Hunter gets completely healthy and his injury becomes a faint memory.  He ends up being a wash to what Romeo brought in 2019.  He also helps stretch the floor and open up space, which is something we lacked last year.

4.  Brunk brings the energy and leadership we want and improves as a defender in Archie’s system. 

5. Durham works on his body and comes in stronger and continues to improve.

6.  Phinisee just gets better and better, on both ends.  He gets more confident shooting and continues as a defensive stopper on opposing point guards. 

7.  TJD comes in without tremendous pressure because there is talent around him.  He works his way up and brings a nice boost.

8.  Race Thompson gets fully healthy and gets regular rotation minutes.  He comes in as a physical, rough and tumble presence.  

9.   I hope there’s another wing shooter that we get.

10  The chemistry of the team improves by leaps and bounds, as does the competitiveness and toughness of the team.   

Archived