Is there reason to be optimistic about the future?

9 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If you want a wildly optimistic scenario:

1. De’Ron works like a madman all offseason.  He comes in slimmer and well conditioned, with some renewed athleticism with over a year behind him since the injury.  He’s already a load to cover in the post.  If he gets that body right, he can be brilliant scoring down low.  Incredible combo of power and touch. 

2.  Green legitimately has turned the corner.  He’s had false positives before but you’d like to think his late season surge portends what he’s going to be the rest of the way. 

3.  Hunter gets completely healthy and his injury becomes a faint memory.  He ends up being a wash to what Romeo brought in 2019.  He also helps stretch the floor and open up space, which is something we lacked last year.

4.  Brunk brings the energy and leadership we want and improves as a defender in Archie’s system. 

5. Durham works on his body and comes in stronger and continues to improve.

6.  Phinisee just gets better and better, on both ends.  He gets more confident shooting and continues as a defensive stopper on opposing point guards. 

7.  TJD comes in without tremendous pressure because there is talent around him.  He works his way up and brings a nice boost.

8.  Race Thompson gets fully healthy and gets regular rotation minutes.  He comes in as a physical, rough and tumble presence.  

9.   I hope there’s another wing shooter that we get.

10  The chemistry of the team improves by leaps and bounds, as does the competitiveness and toughness of the team.   

11. Anderson finds the stroke from the 3 that he was recruited for, and gets better on D.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Injuries does not only effect the games but it effects how you can practice and id you are short 3 or 4 players every day then it is hard to get in a good practice.

when you have what?  13 guys on scholarship and walk-ons?  should still have at least 10 quality healthy bodies in practice, right?

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Just a guess, but I'd say JH was one of our top 7 and he didn't play all year! Why is it that IZZO and other coaches can complain about losing one player and HSN just says next man up and injuries are no excuse? Remember how worried everyone was when Zion went down! Don't quite understand the injuries don't matter mentality?

i suppose we can guess or assume that Hunter would have been in that top 7, but that's a pretty big assumption without him playing 1 college game.  he would be in front of Morgan, Langford, Phinissee, Smith, Green, Durham, or Davis?  he was a fairly well ranked recruit, but we're not talking a 5 star McD's AA here.  

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Davis, Romeo, and to a lesser extent Zach all played with injuries and their on-court performance was affected. Davis couldn’t elevate and his stamina didn’t allow him to play extended minutes. Romeo’s shot was affected by his thumb. Both played but not to their capabilities. Zach didn’t see the floor for multiple games.

Playing, and playing to one’s ability, are two different things.

now, i can give this point to an extent.  i won't give that McRoberts was one of our top 7 players though.  not sure i'd give him top 9.  Romeo and Rob's injuries limited them at times.  not sure you can count Davis as an injury anymore.  he pretty much is what he is now, right?

10 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Yeah I guess we should just ignore the Scott May and Alan Henderson injuries? With good coaching IU should have still won those NC's?

nope.  HUGE difference.  actually exactly my point.  if Langford or Morgan were out for most of the year, then i would 100% say that the problem was injuries.  the point i am arguing is that someone said our whole problem was injuries.  i don't think we had all that much worse of injury problems than most college programs over the course of an average year.

9 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If you want a wildly optimistic scenario:

1. De’Ron works like a madman all offseason.  He comes in slimmer and well conditioned, with some renewed athleticism with over a year behind him since the injury.  He’s already a load to cover in the post.  If he gets that body right, he can be brilliant scoring down low.  Incredible combo of power and touch. 

2.  Green legitimately has turned the corner.  He’s had false positives before but you’d like to think his late season surge portends what he’s going to be the rest of the way. 

3.  Hunter gets completely healthy and his injury becomes a faint memory.  He ends up being a wash to what Romeo brought in 2019.  He also helps stretch the floor and open up space, which is something we lacked last year.

4.  Brunk brings the energy and leadership we want and improves as a defender in Archie’s system. 

5. Durham works on his body and comes in stronger and continues to improve.

6.  Phinisee just gets better and better, on both ends.  He gets more confident shooting and continues as a defensive stopper on opposing point guards. 

7.  TJD comes in without tremendous pressure because there is talent around him.  He works his way up and brings a nice boost.

8.  Race Thompson gets fully healthy and gets regular rotation minutes.  He comes in as a physical, rough and tumble presence.  

9.   I hope there’s another wing shooter that we get.

10  The chemistry of the team improves by leaps and bounds, as does the competitiveness and toughness of the team.   

yeah, there's talent for sure if we gel.  Phinissee, Green, Hunter, Smith, TJD?  a lot of potential punch there.  really like what Davis can do as well.  Brunk seems like a nice piece and of course Durham.  Thompson might be good enough to play a decent role as #9?  i have no idea about the Frankiln kid.  does he have potential to contribute right away?

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i suppose we can guess or assume that Hunter would have been in that top 7, but that's a pretty big assumption without him playing 1 college game.  he would be in front of Morgan, Langford, Phinissee, Smith, Green, Durham, or Davis?  he was a fairly well ranked recruit, but we're not talking a 5 star McD's AA here.  

It’s hard to talk hypotheticals but Hunter did win the golden jersey. I don’t believe any ‘ non top 7 guys’ did that. Juwan also said on a podcast that he couldn’t go easy vs Hunter at practice- that Hunter took it to him 100%. I can’t remember the exact phrasing but Juwan eluded to Hunter being the toughest freshman. 

14 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i just don't agree about the injuries.  in a demanding college bball season you're going to have injuries.  look at our top 7 players and how many games and minutes they played.  it's really not that bad.  

One of IU's top seven never saw the floor last year.

1 minute ago, rico said:

So your top 7 are the guys that played the most minutes?  And of your top 7, how many missed games?

and led in points, rebounds, assists, and steals, but i'm open to who you think is better than those 7.  they missed a combined 19 games i believe, but that also includes Green's suspension, so probably make that 15 and Romeo missing the NIT, but i guess we can count that.  so 15 missed games from 7 guys.  our leading scorer played every game.  2nd leading scorer only missed the last 3.  3rd missed mainly due to suspension.  4th missed 1.  5th missed none.  6th missed 3.  i don't know.  admittedly i haven't researched the other programs, but would think in a 35 games season others are very similar.  

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

and led in points, rebounds, assists, and steals, but i'm open to who you think is better than those 7.  they missed a combined 19 games i believe, but that also includes Green's suspension, so probably make that 15 and Romeo missing the NIT, but i guess we can count that.  so 15 missed games from 7 guys.  our leading scorer played every game.  2nd leading scorer only missed the last 3.  3rd missed mainly due to suspension.  4th missed 1.  5th missed none.  6th missed 3.  i don't know.  admittedly i haven't researched the other programs, but would think in a 35 games season others are very similar.  

So you take Romeo, Morgan, and Smith out of the equation and your 4 remaining guys missed time.  Add to that McRoberts missed time.  Add to that Hunter never saw the floor and Race for all purposes missed the season as well.  7 guys missed time due to injury(And you could make that 8 with Romeo)  I doubt very seriously if any other team in the country suffered that kind of devastation.

That being said, I am tired of the injury excuse myself.  We played with what we had and still almost made the NCAAT.  

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Langford

Morgan

Green

Durham

Smith

Phinissee

Davis

Well Green missed 7 games as well as Phinissee and Davis missed significant time. Hunter would have been one of the top 7 layers but he missed the whole year.  Also now it is known that Romeo played all year with a bad wrist injury so injuries had a he impact on this team.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:57 PM, BGleas said:

I wanted to ask you a question, and in no way do I mean this to be disrespectful or anything. I 100% respect the amount of thought and analysis that go into your posts. You're a great member of the community and again you put a ton of thought into posts, which is all anyone can really ask. 

With that said, lately I've had a difficult time sort of getting where you're coming from at times, and it hit me today. I'm not sure if you're rooting for IU to win or for yourself to be right. Like, would you rather see IU win in a way that proves all your analysis wrong, or IU lose in a way that proves you right? You don't owe me anything, but I realized I wasn't sure of the answer to that question and how you answer would go a long way in how I respond/engage with you. 

I hope you don't take me asking that the wrong way. I appreciate all you bring to the board. 

I would never trade Indiana W's and root against Indiana just so I could look good. I don't even want to 'look good'. I started with nothing and lived in Databases AFTER spending thousands of hours at the tables. I figured out how the best players won and then stole what they did and added it to my game. 

IMO I was getting close to figuring it out and then the government banned poker right when I was getting close to the top (top of pot limit omaha, my specialty) so yes, I'm very loud spoken about the things that I think I know what I'm speaking about. I think I've earned that right. You don't start with 0 and work that into a 6 figure cash bankroll playing vs the best in the world without self-belief. 

I've got the history of the people I've played against and I figured out what they did wrong and what's there to exploit. It lead me to the biggest games running at the time.

There's just one of the tabs. It goes crazy in depth and I put the effort into looking at it in depth.

results.jpg

Look at the the stat selection tab to the left and ignore all that other stuff. This stuff gets very in depth and SOMEBODY is going to take it very very seriously and exploit it so why not me? This is from an old blog in 2010 they banned it in 2011.

I was crushing it and exploiting the things that the data said I should exploit and it led me all the way to 100-200 which is a massive game online. So I'm not blowing smoke up peoples *** or talking **** 

https://www.highstakesdb.com/replayer/rePlayer.html?handid=458889

https://www.highstakesdb.com/replayer/rePlayer.html?handid=458948

I was young and stupid and have nothing to show for that hard work 8 years later so this is far from me bragging. I'm not even that smart I just work hard and I'm honest with the things I see. I  know where to look and know the things I'm looking for. Being honest and taking yourself (IU in our scenario) out of the equation when analyzing yourself is the thing that people can't do. It's not fun but I learned how to do that. You all might think I'm talking mad **** and I'm some pessimistic nerd but I'm just being honest and telling you what I've found. I went to Vegas at 21 thinking I was hot **** and I quickly learned that I'm just another bum who might be a big shot in my home town but out here I'm a nobody. I took to the data in 2007 and it turned my career around. If you think poker/bball aren't comparable well then that's fine but NOVA played a perfect season with 'perfect data' two seasons ago so I'd say you are being Naive. 

The defense IS AMAZING. I've been ignoring that and it's half the puzzle so I've made it a point to mention that several times now (it's really not half the puzzle because you can win with a good but not great d, but cant win with a good but not great O, call it maybe 35%?). I've been doing my best to be nice and objective on here and trying to show you a new way to look at things. If I was playing poker and I found a guy with data like Archie then I'd follow him around and play him every single day and every single chance I got. His style beats up on good to decent squads and plays terribly against good to great ones. I tried to point that out in the record vs A level teams. People said I was cherry picking and had an agenda but that record was vs teams in the same level as Dayton. It's very easy to game plan against and it's very predictable.

I'm never immune from criticism and I'll never lock myself into absolutes. I'm always looking to evolve and always looking to get better but when I put the effort into it you betting believe that I'm going to trust myself until it's proven wrong. That will never change. Archie will win 21-25 games every season minimum starting probably next season but that won't be enough for me. I'm sick of the big ten getting slapped around and I have no respect for teams that constantly get there and don't win. It's settling and I hate settling. That's what this offense reminds me of...Just being good enough isn't for me. I'm sorry. If that rubs people the wrong way then that's on them. Am I moving too fast and expecting too much? Yes, that's why I've tried to get the point across that I'm optimistic going into next season and why I'm giving him a clean slate and being open minded. 

I don't like to even talk about my past but I know what I'm talking about and what I'm doing.

I'm a super competitive dude. Just watching the game and letting it play out will never be enough for me. I don't want to be the arrogant, know it all **** and I'm sure that's what this is going to come out looking like when that's not even moderately my intentions in the slightest. Maybe, I'm just a weirdo?? 

Just to reiterate again...I WOULD NOT ROOT AGAINST INDIANA. I do put a lot of hard work figuring out the things I'm opinionated in so of course I will back myself confidently expressing those thoughts. Also, the only reason I bring this is up is because you wanted a better understanding of how to interact with me so I wanted to give you a complete background. I hope you continue engaging with me because I enjoy it.

Cheers. 

55 minutes ago, JWoolsey said:

I would never trade Indiana W's and root against Indiana just so I could look good. I don't even want to 'look good'. I started with nothing and lived in Databases AFTER spending thousands of hours at the tables. I figured out how the best players won and then stole what they did and added it to my game. 

IMO I was getting close to figuring it out and then the government banned poker right when I was getting close to the top (top of pot limit omaha, my specialty) so yes, I'm very loud spoken about the things that I think I know what I'm speaking about. I think I've earned that right. You don't start with 0 and work that into a 6 figure cash bankroll playing vs the best in the world without self-belief. 

I've got the history of the people I've played against and I figured out what they did wrong and what's there to exploit. It lead me to the biggest games running at the time.

There's just one of the tabs. It goes crazy in depth and I put the effort into looking at it in depth.

results.jpg

Look at the the stat selection tab to the left and ignore all that other stuff. This stuff gets very in depth and SOMEBODY is going to take it very very seriously and exploit it so why not me? This is from an old blog in 2010 they banned it in 2011.

I was crushing it and exploiting the things that the data said I should exploit and it led me all the way to 100-200 which is a massive game online. So I'm not blowing smoke up peoples *** or talking **** 

https://www.highstakesdb.com/replayer/rePlayer.html?handid=458889

https://www.highstakesdb.com/replayer/rePlayer.html?handid=458948

I was young and stupid and have nothing to show for that hard work 8 years later so this is far from me bragging. I'm not even that smart I just work hard and I'm honest with the things I see. I  know where to look and know the things I'm looking for. Being honest and taking yourself (IU in our scenario) out of the equation when analyzing yourself is the thing that people can't do. It's not fun but I learned how to do that. You all might think I'm talking mad **** and I'm some pessimistic nerd but I'm just being honest and telling you what I've found. I went to Vegas at 21 thinking I was hot **** and I quickly learned that I'm just another bum who might be a big shot in my home town but out here I'm a nobody. I took to the data in 2007 and it turned my career around. If you think poker/bball aren't comparable well then that's fine but NOVA played a perfect season with 'perfect data' two seasons ago so I'd say you are being Naive. 

The defense IS AMAZING. I've been ignoring that and it's half the puzzle so I've made it a point to mention that several times now (it's really not half the puzzle because you can win with a good but not great d, but cant win with a good but not great O, call it maybe 35%?). I've been doing my best to be nice and objective on here and trying to show you a new way to look at things. If I was playing poker and I found a guy with data like Archie then I'd follow him around and play him every single day and every single chance I got. His style beats up on good to decent squads and plays terribly against good to great ones. I tried to point that out in the record vs A level teams. People said I was cherry picking and had an agenda but that record was vs teams in the same level as Dayton. It's very easy to game plan against and it's very predictable.

I'm never immune from criticism and I'll never lock myself into absolutes. I'm always looking to evolve and always looking to get better but when I put the effort into it you betting believe that I'm going to trust myself until it's proven wrong. That will never change. Archie will win 21-25 games every season minimum starting probably next season but that won't be enough for me. I'm sick of the big ten getting slapped around and I have no respect for teams that constantly get there and don't win. It's settling and I hate settling. That's what this offense reminds me of...Just being good enough isn't for me. I'm sorry. If that rubs people the wrong way then that's on them. Am I moving too fast and expecting too much? Yes, that's why I've tried to get the point across that I'm optimistic going into next season and why I'm giving him a clean slate and being open minded. 

I don't like to even talk about my past but I know what I'm talking about and what I'm doing.

I'm a super competitive dude. Just watching the game and letting it play out will never be enough for me. I don't want to be the arrogant, know it all **** and I'm sure that's what this is going to come out looking like when that's not even moderately my intentions in the slightest. Maybe, I'm just a weirdo?? 

Just to reiterate again...I WOULD NOT ROOT AGAINST INDIANA. I do put a lot of hard work figuring out the things I'm opinionated in so of course I will back myself confidently expressing those thoughts. Also, the only reason I bring this is up is because you wanted a better understanding of how to interact with me so I wanted to give you a complete background. I hope you continue engaging with me because I enjoy it.

Cheers. 

I see the world through HiveQL queries, and even my first reaction was "Damn, that's not poker, that's work."

Kudos for putting that much work into that, but give me a deck, a whiskey, and a TV with a game on. Stogie optional.

Oh, and you should use Sam Farha as your avatar...lol

Here's why I'm optimistic...add Jerome Hunter to the incoming class or TJD and Armaan Franklin.  Excellent class.  Plus grad transfer Joey Brunk (who was recruited by IU ).  Add another year of experience to everyone else coming back. 

Here's my big bold predictions for next year...

Team shooting from behind the arc is +5% over last season (Green shoots 40%, Durham at 38...Damezi, Hunter, Franklin and Phinisee something less than that, but good enough to be an improvement over Romeo & Juwan who took (and missed ) a LOT of IU's 3's).  Smith is a wildcard, but I'm going to assume that he gets a red light if he shoots a couple & misses.

If I'm right on the improved 3-point shooting, IU wins at least 23 games and plays in the big boy tournament.

Heck yes, I'm optimistic.  Life as a pessimist sucks.

Archived