Is there reason to be optimistic about the future?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Drink more. I'm the best euchre player in the galaxy after 5-6 beers.

At least I think I am anyway.....

It's a slippery slope. Once I get to about 10-12 beers, I start to forget the proper strategy. I've got the right and the ace in my hand, but I mix up the playing order and fail to play the right to draw out the left before I play the ace. I'll never live that down.....

7 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

It's a slippery slope. Once I get to about 10-12 beers, I start to forget the proper strategy. I've got the right and the ace in my hand, but I mix up the playing order and fail to play the right to draw out the left before I play the ace. I'll never live that down.....

I will never live down getting set on a loner.  What are the odds that one of my opponents has 4 trump and an off suite Ace?  

If you guys really want to have some fun drinking and playing a euchre type game, try sheepshead.

I lived in Wisconsin for the better part of 8 years and consider myself a pretty astute card player. Sheepshead was a whole different ballgame though. I had to have the directions written out for me each time I played, and even then, had troubles with the rules. Alcohol made the game a lot more fun, but the rules got even hazier.

Needless to say, I couldn't tell you the first thing about the game now...been over 20 years since I even tried to play.

7 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If you guys really want to have some fun drinking and playing a euchre type game, try sheepshead.

I lived in Wisconsin for the better part of 8 years and consider myself a pretty astute card player. Sheepshead was a whole different ballgame though. I had to have the directions written out for me each time I played, and even then, had troubles with the rules. Alcohol made the game a lot more fun, but the rules got even hazier.

Needless to say, I couldn't tell you the first thing about the game now...been over 20 years since I even tried to play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheepshead_(card_game)

F*** that....lol

That makes cribbage look easy.

It's like euchre meets differential equations on LSD.

20 hours ago, IUaic said:

Is that the same as Bid Euchre?

it is.  2 euchre decks.  bid similar to spades, but obviously spades is not always trump.  i can't play regular euchre any more.  it's too simple.  in double deck or bid, you can make a lot happen even with bad hands.  

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

it is.  2 euchre decks.  bid similar to spades, but obviously spades is not always trump.  i can't play regular euchre any more.  it's too simple.  in double deck or bid, you can make a lot happen even with bad hands.  

Ahhhhhh, bid euchre.  Never heard it called double deck.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Ahhhhhh, bid euchre.  Never heard it called double deck.

yeah.  when it was introduced to me in my high school, they called it double deck bid euchre.  we shortened it to double deck.  it's literally the only card game i have liked to play over the last 30 years.   

In the grand scheme of things, I think eventually Archie would succeed at IU if fans and administration are patient enough to give him time. But I also think our program took a hit in recruiting due to the unsuccessful season with Morgan and Langford. Sure we can have multitude of reasons why things had to be that way, but it may take more time for a rebuild. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Optimistic about the future ?   Andy Katz seems to feel that way about De'Ron :

5 seniors who can have breakout college basketball seasons in 2019-20 | NCAA.com

I know he's naturally a good natured kid, but I want to see more of mean DeRon. A 6'10" athletic post presence that can also make opponents crap themselves from thinking about going across his lane...priceless.

40 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I know he's naturally a good natured kid, but I want to see more of mean DeRon. A 6'10" athletic post presence that can also make opponents crap themselves from thinking about going across his lane...priceless.

Having watched De'Ron close up, since the 8th grade, I doubt your wish will get fulfilled. De'Ron is a lot of things.  But the one thing he isn't, is mean.  Having said that.... as the last season ground to an end.... I did see a side of De'Ron that I had not seen before. He was a lot more aggressive, and very willing to mix it up in the key, and under the bucket against opponents.

Not the best example here.  But just a taste here.  But an example of what I expect IU fans to see this upcoming season :

2.2.19 De'Ron Davis Highlights vs. Michigan State 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Having watched De'Ron close up, since the 8th grade, I doubt your wish will get fulfilled. De'Ron is a lot of things.  But the one thing he isn't, is mean.  Having said that.... as the last season ground to an end.... I did see a side of De'Ron that I had not seen before. He was a lot more aggressive, and very willing to mix it up in the key, and under the bucket against opponents.

Not the best example here.  But just a taste here.  But an example of what I expect IU fans to see this upcoming season :

I don't want ANYONE to slide into the relm of being a dirty player...but if he wants to be like a Ben Wallace type, not taking any crap from anybody and if you want to come in MY lane you're guna pay for it kinda guy....id be ok with that.  😁😁👍👍

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

That's the exact moment I was thinking of.  I always knew he was fairly good natured, but during that MSU game, seeing him like that.....I liked it. 

And I liked the Ben Wallace comparison.  Not necessarily aggressive, but not giving an inch and not giving a damn. 

De'Ron seems like a great kid.  I hope he can stay healthy all summer, which will allow him to start this fall in the best shape of his life. I just think the injuries have not allowed him to get in shape to show everyone how talented he really is.  He shows flashes of brilliance every once in while that makes me believe he could be a dominant player for IU next year.

9 minutes ago, Chad B said:

De'Ron seems like a great kid.  I hope he can stay healthy all summer, which will allow him to start this fall in the best shape of his life. I just think the injuries have not allowed him to get in shape to show everyone how talented he really is.  He shows flashes of brilliance every once in while that makes me believe he could be a dominant player for IU next year.

Well, I can vouch, first hand that De'Ron is a great person.  As far as injuries.  Think back to when he first arrived on campus, he already came in injured, having had to miss two all star games in the late Spring due to injury.  Injuries certainly have played a big part in his career at IU.  Sadly, giving the wrong impression to many IU fans as to his drive and determination to succeed. He came back from a devastating injury last season, when many of us expected him to take the year off.... only to become hampered with another injury as the season progressed.  And through all of that, I have never heard De'Ron complain about being injured or playing while injured.  Though I have heard Archie second think himself in attempting to bring De'Ron back too soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hell yes there is reason for optimism.  We have a great university, a young coach who believes he can turn this around, and players like TJD and AF who still believe in our program enough to commit to it. I think CAM has the sort of personality that he just gets eaten up by seasons like the last two. I believe he will get this program turned around. Patience.

Wasn't sure where to put this. The guy might have better luck posting this over here since any and everyone I know left Peegs years ago. Brian Davidson is running for trustee and one of his main platforms is stopping McRobbie from taking tens of millions of $ from BTN contract away from IU Athletics. Rabjohns tweeted his link out if you care to find on your own. 

Needless to say. Anyone that stops that nonsense has my vote. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. The guy might have better luck posting this over here since any and everyone I know left Peegs years ago. Brian Davidson is running for trustee and one of his main platforms is stopping McRobbie from taking tens of millions of $ from BTN contract away from IU Athletics. Rabjohns tweeted his link out if you care to find on your own. 

Needless to say. Anyone that stops that nonsense has my vote.

I am normally an academics first guy, but I disagree with robbing from the income that athletics is generating.  Academics should be able to stand on it's own.  Plenty of successful schools don't rob from athletics to shore up bloated academic cost structure.  The fact that IU is still $25,000/year (in-state - out of state is more like $50,000/year) in cost of attendance even with the millions robbed from athletics tells me there is a LOT of inefficiency and wastefulness on the academic side of the coin and that starts with McRobbie.

Until that crap stops, Nebraska will have better athletic facilities than IU does.

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I am normally an academics first guy, but I disagree with robbing from the income that athletics is generating.  Academics should be able to stand on it's own.  Plenty of successful schools don't rob from athletics to shore up bloated academic cost structure.  The fact that IU is still $25,000/year (in-state - out of state is more like $50,000/year) in cost of attendance even with the millions robbed from athletics tells me there is a LOT of inefficiency and wastefulness on the academic side of the coin and that starts with McRobbie.

Until that crap stops, Nebraska will have better athletic facilities than IU does.

I'm very proud of my IU Business and Economics Degrees....but the idea of any institution (especially IU)  pilfering more successful revenue streams (athletics) to fund their own agendas (research for grants) has to end. People act surprised when they hear schools like the one you mentioned have better basketball facilities. Fact is up until recently they did and probably still do. Hopefully people take a minute to vote. 

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm very proud of my IU Business and Economics Degrees....but the idea of any institution (especially IU)  pilfering more successful revenue streams (athletics) to fund their own agendas (research for grants) has to end. People act surprised when they hear schools like the one you mentioned have better basketball facilities. Fact is up until recently they did and probably still do. Hopefully people take a minute to vote. 

Purdue did that before Mitch became president and it drove most of us nuts. Cordova took at least $3 million a year from BTN money. 

Archived