Is there reason to be optimistic about the future?

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm very proud of my IU Business and Economics Degrees....but the idea of any institution (especially IU)  pilfering more successful revenue streams (athletics) to fund their own agendas (research for grants) has to end. People act surprised when they hear schools like the one you mentioned have better basketball facilities. Fact is up until recently they did and probably still do. Hopefully people take a minute to vote. 

No question IU has a very fine business school, but there's no reason to think that with 25-50K/student a year PLUS $$$ from the state that they can't keep a balanced budget.  It makes me think that the administration has just gotten sloppy/lazy/greedy with the $$$.

Imagine if the BTN $$$ was left alone...they could probably go back to charging students $5/game and maybe $20-30 for everyone else instead of a hundred bucks a seat.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue did that before Mitch became president and it drove most of us nuts. Cordova took at least $3 million a year from BTN money. 

I say this loud and clear. I know one of the Daniels clan well. Can't tell you the number of overtures made on MD's behalf because he wanted same role at IU. I'll just say this. Purdue football had been a joke since Tiller. Painter had 4 years of missed tourney/first round exit. Mitch shows up and poof...Painter's had his best 3 year run and Purdue football has Brohm. Coincidences like that just don't happen. Hopefully IU fans will understand the whole University has to be on the same page. Harbaugh's suggested it when Crean was fired....many didn't want to believe. Hopefully they start believing one of the major problems in Bloomington the last 15-20 years are the idiots that actually think IU is known for it's Linguistics department. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue did that before Mitch became president and it drove most of us nuts. Cordova took at least $3 million a year from BTN money. 

I wish IU's admin ONLY took $3 million a year.  Say what you want about Mitch politically as he was certainly a controversial figure and lightning rod, the man is very good with budgeting and finances.  IU's admin could learn a lot by watching him balance the books.

I hope that doesn't stray too close to the realm of politics...I'm only referring to Mitch's experience with budgeting and finance.  In that area, I think he has a great deal of competence and experience.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I say this loud and clear. I know one of the Daniels clan well. Can't tell you the number of overtures made on MD's behalf because he wanted same role at IU. I'll just say this. Purdue football had been a joke since Tiller. Painter had 4 years of missed tourney/first round exit. Mitch shows up and poof...Painter's had his best 3 year run and Purdue football has Brohm. Coincidences like that just don't happen. Hopefully IU fans will understand the whole University has to be on the same page. Harbaugh's suggested it when Crean was fired....many didn't want to believe. Hopefully they start believing one of the major problems in Bloomington the last 15-20 years are the idiots that actually think IU is known for it's Linguistics department. 

I mean you think about the new football performance center and the eventual football stadium plans wouldn’t have happened 5 years ago. You look at the Saab plant coming to Purdue and all of the updates being made on campus. Absolutely correct everyone has to be on the same page. I hope Mitch never retires because he has been a grand slam hire for us. 

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

No question IU has a very fine business school, but there's no reason to think that with 25-50K/student a year PLUS $$$ from the state that they can't keep a balanced budget.  It makes me think that the administration has just gotten sloppy/lazy/greedy with the $$$.

Imagine if the BTN $$$ was left alone...they could probably go back to charging students $5/game and maybe $20-30 for everyone else instead of a hundred bucks a seat.

Very sloppy considering the number of out of state students is at an all time high. 

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I wish IU's admin ONLY took $3 million a year.  Say what you want about Mitch politically as he was certainly a controversial figure and lightning rod, the man is very good with budgeting and finances.  IU's admin could learn a lot by watching him balance the books.

I hope that doesn't stray too close to the realm of politics...I'm only referring to Mitch's experience with budgeting and finance.  In that area, I think he has a great deal of competence and experience.

Agree re the budgeting/finance. He trimmed a lot of fat that Córdoba had left. But he also realizes you have to spend money to make money in certain instances which is evidenced by Brohm’s new contract and the football performance center. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean you think about the new football performance center and the eventual football stadium plans wouldn’t have happened 5 years ago. You look at the Saab plant coming to Purdue and all of the updates being made on campus. Absolutely correct everyone has to be on the same page. I hope Mitch never retires because he has been a grand slam hire for us. 

Best hire Purdue ever made. My bias aside (I wanted Mitch in DC)...he's absolutely one of the best things to hit West Lafayette in decades. 

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

One of the best there has been. I'll echo your sentiments. I'm not going down the political thing here.....just pointing out that Purdue hasn't had this level of success in years and one of the main reasons is because the admin and athletics are working together. Unlike our comrades in Bloomington. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. The guy might have better luck posting this over here since any and everyone I know left Peegs years ago. Brian Davidson is running for trustee and one of his main platforms is stopping McRobbie from taking tens of millions of $ from BTN contract away from IU Athletics. Rabjohns tweeted his link out if you care to find on your own. 

Needless to say. Anyone that stops that nonsense has my vote. 

Got my ballot via e-mail today.  Though he currently is living in Illinois, I cast my vote for Davidson, because of your post. 

For all our member graduates of IU.  Voting continues through June. Closes at 10 a.m. E.T.  June 28.

Davidson's platform:

Issues – Brian Davidson

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Best hire Purdue ever made. My bias aside (I wanted Mitch in DC)...he's absolutely one of the best things to hit West Lafayette in decades. 

I wanted him in DC too haha. Got to chat with him before a football game a few years back. Such a humble guy in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm very proud of my IU Business and Economics Degrees....but the idea of any institution (especially IU)  pilfering more successful revenue streams (athletics) to fund their own agendas (research for grants) has to end. People act surprised when they hear schools like the one you mentioned have better basketball facilities. Fact is up until recently they did and probably still do. Hopefully people take a minute to vote. 

Treat departments as conglomerates do divisions: each should be able to financially stand on their own. If one can't, small losses are tolerable so long as that division serves a strategic benefit.

If there's a budget shortage somewhere and they need to move 250K from athletics to wherever, fine. But if athletics is earning it, they should keep 95% of it minimum.

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Treat departments as conglomerates do divisions: each should be able to financially stand on their own. If one can't, small losses are tolerable so long as that division serves a strategic benefit.

If there's a budget shortage somewhere and they need to move 250K from athletics to wherever, fine. But if athletics is earning it, they should keep 95% of it minimum.

Indiana University is blessed to have  one of the top 20 endowments  in the nation. 

Endowment Rankings: Financial: About IUF: Indiana University Foundation: Indiana University

And, yet. We have a current President who steals money from the Big Ten Network ?

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Indiana University is blessed to have  one of the top 20 endowments  in the nation. 

Endowment Rankings: Financial: About IUF: Indiana University Foundation: Indiana University

And, yet. We have a current President who steals money from the Big Ten Network ?

Thanks for posting this. This is the part I struggle with. Ton of $ down there and yet they still need to essentially cost IU athletics success because they need a skim. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for posting this. This is the part I struggle with. Ton of $ down there and yet they still need to essentially cost IU athletics success because they need a skim. 

Up until recently, I was unaware that Big Ten money was being reallocated towards academics.  All along I just figured the Big Ten money was going to support our many athletic programs.  And it was HSN members, such as yourself, who enlightened me.

Gonna have to reconsider offering  funds to the IUF, until and unless something changes. Somehow, I feel I have been lied to.

Indiana University Foundation: Indiana University

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Up until recently, I was unaware that Big Ten money was being reallocated towards academics.  All along I just figured the Big Ten money was going to support our many athletic programs.  And it was HSN members, such as yourself, who enlightened me.

Gonna have to reconsider offering  funds to the IUF, until and unless something changes. Somehow, I feel I have been lied to.

Indiana University Foundation: Indiana University

It's the little things that paint a picture. I remember when Sampson first came in and he couldn't believe that IU in his mind were so far behind the times in facilities. One other little thing I saw yesterday. Someone tried to get the www.firefredglass.com address and found out it's already owned.....by none other than IU itself. Those sorts of things combined with 4 coaches in 15 years or so combined with trustees openly questioning $ doesn't paint a picture of harmony down there. Hopefully the public will do it's thing. 

The dumb thing is, unless Fred is saying "Here, take half my revenue.  I don't need it.", this is not his failure.  This is likely 100% on McRobbie and the BoT that enables his pilfering.  For all we know, Fred Glass is as frustrated about this as we are.  I'll bet IU also owns FireMcRobbie.com.

I don't think Fred Glass is a bad AD.  He's hired some good coaches and despite a limited budget, has improved the facilities considerably during his tenure.  Just imagine what he could do if he had the revenue generated by athletics.

46 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I am optimistic. The big ten money will explode and some of it will be reinvested. Anyway, I believe in Archie. Every time I hear him speak I am convinced that he spends all of his time thinking about basketball...

A lot of good coaches have failed because their hands were tied.

Archived