What Needs to Change in 2019-20?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per your point about improving 3 pt shooting. I brought this guy up in the Transfer Portal thread....

Daniel Utomi from Akron is transferring and is available immediately. He has made 181 threes in the last two years.

Already, he has heard from N. Carolina, USC, Xavier, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Wichita St., Nevada, Iowa and Virginia.

Seems like a guy that CAM should at least investigate.

13 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Per your point about improving 3 pt shooting. I brought this guy up in the Transfer Portal thread....

Daniel Utomi from Akron is transferring and is available immediately. He has made 181 threes in the last two years.

Already, he has heard from N. Carolina, USC, Xavier, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Wichita St., Nevada, Iowa and Virginia.

Seems like a guy that CAM should at least investigate.

I agree.  I think with guys like Utomi, Kira Lewis, Quinones and others out there, they need to be aggressive in finding someone that is best known as a shooter and hope it doesn't backfire like Fitzner.

Excellent article. I agree across the board.  

The one thing that comes to mind is no longer tolerating physically or mentally lazy play.  In the WSU game alone, you have got guys falling asleep on defense and losing track of their man; extremely lazy, frankly half @#$ed passes that get ripped away; dumb shot selection where a guy takes a shot from a distance where he has less than a one in five chance of making it; missing an easy layup on the run because you’re too cool to take it up with fundamentals, etc.

You take care of 6-7 of those and that’s quite a swing. 

Making sure all the little things are done right makes for creating a winning mindset.  When you tolerate physically or mentally weak play it spreads like an infection and doesn’t allow for a winning mindset to take hold. 

When a WSU player did any of this nonsense, “buzz!” they are introduced to the bench. Today’s player is not afraid of being coached. Other coaches use the bench as a motivator. 

I am frankly very surprised that Archie tolerates so much of this.  He’s afraid to play Moore and Forrester but I’ve never noted a lack of effort from those guys.  They may be in the wrong position but unless you give them chances, it will stunt their growth. Moore is agile, can move, block shots, etc.  I’m sure a lot of coaches could find a role for him.  Forrester is a bit undersized but he’s a good athlete and has an excellent motor.  If you’re not playing well anyway, bringing them in can’t be that terrifying. 

In regard to #3, what does he mean by “they turned it into a half court league”?  I get that the Big Ten generally plays at a slower, more physical pace than other conferences, but is he referring to anything specific?

The discussion about Archie’s “transition offense” is frustrating to me.  We were terrible in transition this year.  We had the athletes to get out and run, and we hardly ever did.  I don’t see how that’s the Big Ten’s fault.

I thought we could have run more and frankly empowered Romeo more from the top not off the wing.  We were fairly cautious this year and didn’t really scheme ourselves into some wins. 

Ignoring Izzo as a man, I do like his emphasis on strength inside.  He doesn’t need Kareem.  He wants a physical, strong guy.  Get the board and go run, plus tough D.  I think we can do that.  I expected more of it.  

21 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Honestly I don’t know why we don’t recruit Frankie Davidson from Fort Wayne Blackhawk. Dukde can flat out play and shoot it!! Better version of Colin Hartman 

I thought he signed with Indianapolis?

1.  Archie needs to step up as a coach.  There have been several posts about how he is on a learning curve, and it takes a few seasons to get used to the big stage.  Yes there were injuries.  But I haven't seen a good trajectory of Archie as a coach.  I think he'll get there, but I expected a lot more.  I honestly don't know where he even is on the learning curve. 

2.  There is more to coaching than just telling, asking, or explaining things to players.  If it were that easy, they could just play YouTube instructionals.  A coach needs to teach, motivate and improve the players he has, not the players he wishes he had.   I don't agree with the idea of "hey, he can only do so much, and if the players don't do it, whatcha gonna do?"      

6 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Archie needs to step up as a coach.  There have been several posts about how he is on a learning curve, and it takes a few seasons to get used to the big stage.  I can't imagine Duke, when they replace the now 72-year-old Coach K, will hire someone and say, hey, he's young, let's sit out part of a decade while he figures things out.  Yes there were injuries.  But I haven't seen a good trajectory of Archie as a coach.  I think he'll get there, but I expected a lot more.  I honestly don't know where he even is on the learning curve.    

He's exactly where he should be on the learning curve, and his results are nearly identical to the results that Gregg Marshall, Jay Wright, John Beilein and several other quality coaches have produced in the same situation. Read here:

Now, the difference between the coach that will replace K at Duke...odds are, they'll be inheriting an NCAA tournament level team.  The level of team that the coach inherits has a lot of bearing on their results the first few years.  In the example above, the only coach to make the tournament more than once in his first three years inherited a team that made the tournament the year before.  If Archie inherited an NCAA level team, and it remained largely intact, then yes, that's what I would have expected. 

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

He's exactly where he should be on the learning curve, and his results are nearly identical to the results that Gregg Marshall, Jay Wright, John Beilein and several other quality coaches have produced in the same situation. Read here:

Now, the difference between the coach that will replace K at Duke...odds are, they'll be inheriting an NCAA tournament level team.  The level of team that the coach inherits has a lot of bearing on their results the first few years.  In the example above, the only coach to make the tournament more than once in his first three years inherited a team that made the tournament the year before.  If Archie inherited an NCAA level team, and it remained largely intact, then yes, that's what I would have expected. 

Good point.  And Duke wasn't Duke when K started there.  His early W-L record reflected it. 

I just expected more at this point from Archie and the teams he puts on the floor.  Hard to define.  IU teams used to scare opponents.  Even in our down years, we were dangerous.  It's hard to explain what I feel is missing.

2 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Good point.  And Duke wasn't Duke when K started there.  His early W-L record reflected it. 

I just expected more at this point from Archie and the teams he puts on the floor.  Hard to define.  IU teams used to scare opponents.  Even in our down years, we were dangerous.  It's hard to explain what I feel is missing.

Actually Duke was in the championship game a couple of years before coach K got there.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

In regard to #3, what does he mean by “they turned it into a half court league”?  I get that the Big Ten generally plays at a slower, more physical pace than other conferences, but is he referring to anything specific?

The discussion about Archie’s “transition offense” is frustrating to me.  We were terrible in transition this year.  We had the athletes to get out and run, and we hardly ever did.  I don’t see how that’s the Big Ten’s fault.

The way I took it is in the B1G, teams sacrifice Offensive Rebounding from the Guard/Wing positions in order to get back on D and stop transition offenses.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, just about every game I ended up walking out of the press room kicking myself for not asking a certain question.  That was the one after this game.  It is hard on the spot like that.  It is kind of like the George Costanza "jerk store" moment.

What I THINK he meant is just that the league allows so much physical play that even getting out and running in transition is hard.  You've got the teams like Purdue that emphasize hand checks, arm bars, and hip checks and it just mucks everything up, even off the ball.  There just really is no "freedom of movement" like there is supposed to be.

4 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

And there is the collective problem.  If you want a quick, 2-year fix, you're hiring a guy like Calipari.  And yeah...no. 

Archie's results his first two years are comparable to Wright's first two years at Villanova.  They're comparable to Beilein's first two years at Michigan.  They're comparable to Marshall's first two years at WSU.  They're comparable to Barnes' first two years at Tennessee. 

"Well, hire a better coach".  A) Wright, Beilien and Marshall are at the top of the stack anyway; they don't come much better.  B) Guys that do make it above them never come on the market. 

4 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Ha!  I hate it when facts intrude on my opinions.  It's so embarrassing.

If only it didn't happen so often.

You are not the only one that have said this but going back to the 50's Duke has appeared in the AP top 10 more than any program in the history of college basketball.  Most think Duke was nothing before coach K but they were a very good program but never won a championship.

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And there is the collective problem.  If you want a quick, 2-year fix, you're hiring a guy like Calipari.  And yeah...no. 

Archie's results his first two years are comparable to Wright's first two years at Villanova.  They're comparable to Beilein's first two years at Michigan.  They're comparable to Marshall's first two years at WSU.  They're comparable to Barnes' first two years at Tennessee. 

"Well, hire a better coach".  A) Wright, Beilien and Marshall are at the top of the stack anyway; they don't come much better.  B) Guys that do make it above them never come on the market. 

Just to clarify, I made no mention of a quick fix, and your "hire a better coach" quote didn't come from my post.  Other early records have been noted dozens of times on this board.  I wasn't digging that up.

I think Archie was and is a good hire.  His recruiting is much better than I expected.  But there are still questions.

Can he develop players?  Can he game plan?  Is he good after time outs?  Does the team play hard from the opening tip?  Are they better at the end of the season than when it started?  Does he make halftime adjustments?  Can he coach a team up, beyond what the raw talent level would indicate?

That's all I have.  We're all on the same side.  We want good basketball.  In the scheme of life, it's not that important.  The entire sport could disappear and would it really impact us?  First world problems that we can spend time on just a game. 

9 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Just to clarify, I made no mention of a quick fix, and your "hire a better coach" quote didn't come from my post.  Other early records have been noted dozens of times on this board.  I wasn't digging that up.

I think Archie was and is a good hire.  His recruiting is much better than I expected.  But there are still questions.

Can he develop players?  Can he game plan?  Is he good after time outs?  Does the team play hard from the opening tip?  Are they better at the end of the season than when it started?  Does he make halftime adjustments?  Can he coach a team up, beyond what the raw talent level would indicate?

That's all I have.  We're all on the same side.  We want good basketball.  In the scheme of life, it's not that important.  The entire sport could disappear and would it really impact us?  First world problems that we can spend time on just a game. 

Didn't mean to insinuate that you directly said that.  Generally, I'll use the quote function to represent actual quotes from users.  If I just put something in quotes, it's meant more as a hypothetical statement or internal dialogue vs an actual quote from someone.  I'll try to clarify in the future. 

Archived