What Needs to Change in 2019-20?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

So, does the fact that MSU is in the elite 8 change anyone's mind about the possible ceiling for this team next year? It does for me.

I'm not sure how we can have a ceiling for this team next year. There are a lot of unknowns, and if they all break out way we'll be in really good hsape. If none of them do, we'll be right back where we are right now. 

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

4 coaches in 17 years. Eventually you have to stick with 1. I for one am embarrassed in our fans if we think it would be wise to discuss moving on from Archie...even if next year is disappointing. Our fans are one of the greatest attributes of our program but really starting to think our fans are our biggest problem. Whether it's expectations, thinking we know better....or can coach better...or whatever. 

I'll keep saying the same thing. Shows how truly great Knight was to keep our fans in line and win at the highest level.

All kudos to Knight (sincerely) but it was MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, easier for him to “keep our fans in line” prior to social media/blogs etc.  The difference between current times and the Knight era are light years apart. Back then if you had a complaint it was expressed with two of your buddies at the bar or a letter to the editor.....LOL.

30 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

So, does the fact that MSU is in the elite 8 change anyone's mind about the possible ceiling for this team next year? It does for me.

No.  Barring something like Romeo coming back or getting Watford, there just won’t be enough scoring on next year’s team.

6 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I recently saw an interview with Knight (might have been the one hour show he did with IU’s own Joe Buck).   One question posed to Knight was “what is the most critical trait a successful coach has to have?”  The big man paused and said, “hating to lose.”  As a fan, I see it that way too and Knight just confirmed my own bias.  It’s the type of thing that can permeate into your work, life, etc, because competition is part of the real world.  

I’ve always liked Archie’s attitude and demeanor and think he’s got Knight’s biggest trait.  He is wired that way and he’s obviously insanely competitive and hates to lose.  It oozes off of him.  I haven’t seen any evidence that Archie is a brilliant guy who’s going to draw up the game plan that’s going to beat somebody (I think, as a young coach, he’d be well advised to bring in a grizzled coach who can help with that).  But, by God he wants to win.  If Archie consistently recruits players that have the edge he has, IU has a chance to be good.  

People talk about culture, and I agree that culture will be Archie’s biggest ticket to success because he’s not going to Chris Beard his team’s into wins.  This past year, Archie took a team that was NCAA tourney worthy and just didn’t get it done.  Playing time was inapposite.  In this respect, there were chemistry problems, players that dogged it, parents embarrassing themselves, dumb play, disrespectful players in huddles, a possible locker room fight, and on and on.  This all was tolerated.  If Archie isn’t the schemer then he needs to win with a style of play, and smart, tough, ball.  

If you look at the remaining teams, they have a spirit and chemistry this team lacked.  This past team was anything but that, and Archie could have more aggressively handled his team to emphasize these points.  Players played big minutes despite lazy play, dumb play, lack of competitiveness, etc.  It is one of the two biggest red flags of this past season (the other being how he helplessly watched the unimaginable losing streak like a speculator watching the ticker tape on Black Monday).

This roster needs an enema.  There were people saying that’s not true, and 24 hours later Moore is gone.  

I hope Anderson stays.  Green is a complicated case but he is a rare playmaker on the roster so I’d like to see him stay.  

Winning is a habit and starts with the smallest things being done right.  Everybody knows how Johnny Wooden did the shoe tying exercise.  It seemed corny but he was instilling a winning mindset.  IU woefully lacks that in the program.  You get permissive with lazy defense, lack of concentration, disrespect in huddles, etc, and your program is on the wrong track.  

We need turnover though because this will be year three now and you can’t come back with all the losing habits his prior roster had.  That needs turned around now.  Archie just presided over a dysfunctional team and didn’t have answers.  If he pulls another season like that, his seat will be like the electric chair on low voltage but the dial nearby.  The Board already expressed frustration with Eccentric Fred.  

I'm all for allowing a coach time to establish their culture, but I honestly don't know what culture he is trying to establish.  I think we all expected his culture to be a hard nosed, no nonsense, leave everything on the court style, but he didn't hold his team accountable to those ideas this year.  Like you said, way too many things were tolerated.  If your culture is expecting winning effort on every play, you pull a guy when they don't give it.  It doesn't matter if Stevie Wonder is the only guy on the bench.  To establish the culture you want, you put the guy on the bench.

If Smith is still here next year, as an upper classman, do you really think he'll tell the incoming freshman, "you better bust your butt every second or you'll find your ass at the end of the bench?"  Hell no.  What culture is Archie trying to establish that everybody knows coming in they will have to uphold?  What was the culture this year that next year's upper classmen will teach to the younger guys?  I don't think the answer to that is a good thing. That is my biggest red flag with him too.

I think this offseason more than anything else, Archie needs to figure out what he wants his culture to be, and not cave to it.  As soon as you let it slide once, you're screwed and the team will either take advantage of it, or they will get pissed that someone else wasn't held to the same standards.  I hope he comes out next year, and talks non stop about effort and intensity, and then upholds everyone to those standards.  First time a guy turns it over and doesn't hustle back, they sit for a while.  I don't care if Green hit 4 straight 3s.  Lack of hustle on the next play, on the bench.  It shouldn't matter that TJD is a star recruit.  He needs to be held to the same standards as Phinisee, as Anderson, as the managers, as the assistant coaches, as the ball boys, etc.  Everyone involved in the program should be expected to give everything they can to making it great.

If he can establish that culture, I might start to be excited about the future with him.  If he can't establish it next year, I think a large portion of the fanbase is waiting to throw him on the hot seat after this year's disaster.

7 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm all for allowing a coach time to establish their culture, but I honestly don't know what culture he is trying to establish.  I think we all expected his culture to be a hard nosed, no nonsense, leave everything on the court style, but he didn't hold his team accountable to those ideas this year.  Like you said, way too many things were tolerated.  If your culture is expecting winning effort on every play, you pull a guy when they don't give it.  It doesn't matter if Stevie Wonder is the only guy on the bench.  To establish the culture you want, you put the guy on the bench.

If Smith is still here next year, as an upper classman, do you really think he'll tell the incoming freshman, "you better bust your butt every second or you'll find your ass at the end of the bench?"  Hell no.  What culture is Archie trying to establish that everybody knows coming in they will have to uphold?  What was the culture this year that next year's upper classmen will teach to the younger guys?  I don't think the answer to that is a good thing. That is my biggest red flag with him too.

I think this offseason more than anything else, Archie needs to figure out what he wants his culture to be, and not cave to it.  As soon as you let it slide once, you're screwed and the team will either take advantage of it, or they will get pissed that someone else wasn't held to the same standards.  I hope he comes out next year, and talks non stop about effort and intensity, and then upholds everyone to those standards.  First time a guy turns it over and doesn't hustle back, they sit for a while.  I don't care if Green hit 4 straight 3s.  Lack of hustle on the next play, on the bench.  It shouldn't matter that TJD is a star recruit.  He needs to be held to the same standards as Phinisee, as Anderson, as the managers, as the assistant coaches, as the ball boys, etc.  Everyone involved in the program should be expected to give everything they can to making it great.

If he can establish that culture, I might start to be excited about the future with him.  If he can't establish it next year, I think a large portion of the fanbase is waiting to throw him on the hot seat after this year's disaster.

I could not agree more.  SPOT ON!

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

53A829B4-9B4F-4861-94DD-D38FA2613E77.png

I heard that exact quote verbatim from a guy I know, other than it started with the connection to Schilling being through his son. And the quote I heard was him reading me a text message...

Then the next day Moore announced he was transferring. 

EDIT: worth adding I'm skeptical of the info and so is the guy who read me the text, which is why I didn't post it on my own. 

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

53A829B4-9B4F-4861-94DD-D38FA2613E77.png

The fact that others are spreading this is as sad as the person who sat there and thought this up and typed and sent this.  Not attacking anyone, but rumors spread rapidly and this could damage individuals.  We are talking about people.  One thing we learned is that the staff and Archie is tighted lipped and there will not be anything leaked.  Furthermore big ten tourney showed Rob and Romeo joking around together before game.  There is a stong chemistry between the two.  Sorry to have to say that. 

Who cares if it is true or not Bobby c has a the freedom of speech. We will find out from other sources of similar or not stories. This site I for entertainment only no matter who you are. Let’s make this enjoyable no matter who stays or goes. Build the best roster possible for next year! Go get archie

13 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Who cares if it is true or not Bobby c has a the freedom of speech. We will find out from other sources of similar or not stories. This site I for entertainment only no matter who you are. Let’s make this enjoyable no matter who stays or goes. Build the best roster possible for next year! Go get archie

You are 100% right in that this forum is for entertainment.  The point of contention isn't freedom of speech for me, it's the fact that we are talking about people, playing for the university and on the team we love.  Mentioning unfounded rumors can only cause harm.  I find such potentially damaging rumors to be of zero entertainment value.  In an odd manner, I am glad it was posted so we can discredit it.

43 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

You are 100% right in that this forum is for entertainment.  The point of contention isn't freedom of speech for me, it's the fact that we are talking about people, playing for the university and on the team we love.  Mentioning unfounded rumors can only cause harm.  I find such potentially damaging rumors to be of zero entertainment value.  In an odd manner, I am glad it was posted so we can discredit it.

Yes I could care or less about the drama but something really affected the team this year. Big life big stage has a lot of unwanted publicity for some and welcomed by others. I would like to know what happened to this team and I realize there will be things I don’t need to hear or want to hear but with all the info that leaks out it is difficult to know fact from fiction. If it is fact and not rumor I will not ignore people’s in put as that would be stacking the deck as to what I want to hear and that would not be very objective of me so hear is looking for more information to confirm or deny Bobby c statement 

Archived