Joey Brunk (Butler transfer) Commits to IU

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm sure it's a lot to think about.  I don't expect a decision until school is out.  Still think there is a chance he returns, the fact CAM isn't burning up the recruiting trail is telling.  

Agree.  I would be at least a little surprised if no scholarships open up, but it may or may not be Romeo's.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

wouldn't you want to make the decision earlier then so you can dream about the cash for the ticket that you have already submitted?

To me if he was sure he was leaving it would have already been announced.  Not saying he is not leaving but if he has already made up his mind we would have already heard it.

This is an interesting one to me. The offseason literally just started, so who knows how things are going to shake out. I personally think that shooting/scoring from the wing and/or guard spots is more of a need at the moment. But again, we don't know how the rest of the offeason will go. 

What I'm saying is, I think I'd be a little disappointed if say Langford leaving and Brunk taking his scholarship is the only change. I just think we have other needs higher on the lists. With that said, if we're able to keep Langford (not likely) and someone else leaves to open up this spot for Brunk, or 2 guys (Langford and someone else) leave and we add Brunk and a shooter/scorer, then I love the Brunk move. 

I think bringing Brunk in, if it were to happen, is a great culture move by Archie. I guess even higher than a shooter/scorer, culture is really the programs biggest need right now, and Brunk will bring toughness, energy, and basketball IQ. He's not the most talented guy, but he plays hard and physical, and from what I've seen (not a ton) he plays with a lot of emotion. IU needs that right now and Archie needs players like that right now to set the tone. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is an interesting one to me. The offseason literally just started, so who knows how things are going to shake out. I personally think that shooting/scoring from the wing and/or guard spots is more of a need at the moment. But again, we don't know how the rest of the offeason will go. 

What I'm saying is, I think I'd be a little disappointed if say Langford leaving and Brunk taking his scholarship is the only change. I just think we have other needs higher on the lists. With that said, if we're able to keep Langford (not likely) and someone else leaves to open up this spot for Brunk, or 2 guys (Langford and someone else) leave and we add Brunk and a shooter/scorer, then I love the Brunk move. 

I think bringing Brunk in, if it were to happen, is a great culture move by Archie. I guess even higher than a shooter/scorer, culture is really the programs biggest need right now, and Brunk will bring toughness, energy, and basketball IQ. He plays hard and physical, and from what I've seen (not a ton) he plays with a lot of emotion. IU needs that right now and Archie needs players like that right now to set the tone. 

I saw him in person 3 games when he was in high school and one this year when he was at Butler and everything you sad about him is true.

3 minutes ago, Ib4IU said:

I like the potential of what Brunk could bring to the table but if it’s in replacement of Romeo, I think that scholly would be better used on a shooter/guard. That’s where we lack depth imo. 

I would say that would be more true if Brunk was just here a year but he would have two years left and he would be a good replacement for Davis once he leaves.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I saw him in person 3 games when he was in high school and one this year when he was at Butler and everything you sad about him is true.

And again, along with shooting/perimeter play, those intangibles (effort, toughness, leadership, IQ) that Brunk would bring are what this program needs most. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would say that would be more true if Brunk was just here a year but he would have two years left and he would be a good replacement for Davis once he leaves.

We’d also have a more experienced TJD, Moore, and Forrester. This is assuming that the only open scholly to take on Brunk is to have Romeo leave. If you look at the roster the majority is of guys who play the 4/5 (TJD, Race, Moore, Forrester, Smith) others are a 3/4 (Hunter). That leaves Phinisee, Durham, Anderson, Franklin for the 1-3 positions.

Adding Brunk only adds another front court player. I’m sure there will be more attrition but in the scenario we’re speaking  if we only have 1 is still prefer a guard. I guess if we’re only in on guards for 2020 makes sense 

1 minute ago, Ib4IU said:

We’d also have a more experienced TJD, Moore, and Forrester. This is assuming that the only open scholly to take on Brunk is to have Romeo leave. If you look at the roster the majority is of guys who play the 4/5 (TJD, Deron, Race, Moore, Forrester, Smith) others are a 3/4 (Hunter). That leaves Green, Phinisee, Durham, Anderson, Franklin for the 1-3 positions.

Adding Brunk only adds another front court player. I’m sure there will be more attrition but in the scenario we’re speaking  if we only have 1 is still prefer a guard  

I mainly just stating when bringing in players just don't look a just the next year.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Why do I feel like this is just Evan Fitzner 2.0...

Not close. Fitzner was brought in to make threes and hopefully spread the floor. He also played in a conference that does not have near the physicality of th B1G.

Brunk is an inside player first, last and foremost. He also played in a conference much more similar to the styles played in the B1G

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I mainly just stating when bringing in players just don't look a just the next year.

I get that. Can’t have a roster with 0 bigs like Crean was known for. I just think it’s also important to address weaknesses. The problem right now, there are a lot. Having guys play with energy and passion is one of them. Joey fixes that. 

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Why do I feel like this is just Evan Fitzner 2.0...

I think that the Big East is an awful lot closer to the level of play and physicality than anything that Evan Fitzner had experienced prior to coming to IU...So Brunk is more obviously prepared, with two years of eligibility, and a more outwardly passionate style of play...I think that this is pretty different than what the staff was trying to get when they brought in Fitzner.

3 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I'm going to chat with a Butler peer this afternoon that I trust more than any other. Should give us a better vision as to where we are, but multiple people told me today that Brunk to IU is good. All of them were Butler people, none were IU. 

Could you clarify what you mean by "Brunk to IU is good". Does that mean it is done? that it's a good move for Joey? for IU? for Butler to have a free scholarship?

3 minutes ago, Ib4IU said:

I get that. Can’t have a roster with 0 bigs like Crean was known for. I just think it’s also important to address weaknesses. The problem right now, there are a lot. Having guys play with energy and passion is one of them. Joey fixes that. 

I think we are recruiting some guards Morton and Leal for the 2020 class and maybe will like them better than what we can get at this late stage of this class.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not close. Fitzner was brought in to make threes and hopefully spread the floor. He also played in a conference that does not have near the physicality of th B1G.

Brunk is an inside player first, last and foremost. He also played in a conference much more similar to the styles played in the B1G

Regardless of what Fitzner was brought in to do, he provided nothing from the perimeter.  They’re both unathletic bigs that can’t rebound, dunk, or block shots.  Brunk might be a slight upgrade, but I just don’t see how this would move the needle much at all.

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Regardless of what Fitzner was brought in to do, he provided nothing from the perimeter.  They’re both unathletic bigs that can’t rebound, dunk, or block shots.  Brunk might be a slight upgrade, but I just don’t see how this would move the needle much at all.

Brunk can rebound especially on the offensive end so I don't know what you were watching.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He’s a 6’11 center that averaged 3.6 rebounds per game this season.  

In how many minutes a game.  Do I think he would average 15/10 no but I think he could come in and average 7/5 off the bench.  I think to many look at only star ratings and athletic ability when looking at players and not how players fit as a team.  Does Purdue starting lineup look like a team that should win the big ten and have a good chance of going to the final 4.  Soe of our fans would flip out if we started walkon like Eifert who was not highly rated or averages big point.

2 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I didn't do the math, but I believe he averages more rebounds per minute than DeRon Davis or Justin Smith do.. 

What's not to like about getting bigger, older, and tougher?

I like the move a lot. We upgrade from JM with 2 fouls/DNP DD/Fitzner flailing to Healthy DD/Brunk. Shoring up the 5 spot = 2-4 more wins in the Big (easily).

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

In how many minutes a game.  Do I think he would average 15/10 no but I think he could come in and average 7/5 off the bench.  I think to many look at only star ratings and athletic ability when looking at players and not how players fit as a team.  Does Purdue starting lineup look like a team that should win the big ten and have a good chance of going to the final 4.  Soe of our fans would flip out if we started walkon like Eifert who was not highly rated or averages big point.

You mean the fans that roundly loved walk-on Zach McRoberts?  Give me a break.  This has nothing to do with “star ratings, “averages big point,” or whatever you’re rambling about.  It has everything to do with the fact that we have limited scholarships available, and another unathletic bench big who can’t rebound, dunk, defend, or block shots isn’t going to get IU into the tournament next season.

Now if we end up having at least 3 open spots between Romeo leaving and a couple transfers, then I won’t mind it as much.

Archived