Joey Brunk (Butler transfer) Commits to IU

1 hour ago, Shooter said:

Brunk would be our 7th scholarship post player. And most of those guys are college 5s more than 4s - none of them have shown an ability to shoot the ball at this level. If these rumors are true, have to assume Archie is expecting one or more transfers.

Agreed. Imagine that Brunk and Davis would be the ones playing center and use TJD at PF. 

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not so sure about that... Plenty of people expected Green and Smith to improve a lot this year.

That is true but to assume they won’t is different. I don’t see every single player coming back not improving their offensive game and being the same player next year as this year.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

If Green is our poor mans Carson Edwards next year we are in trouble. You really really have to manage Green carefully...he has the worst basketball IQ I’ve ever witnessed in IU basketball. I’m not trying to be pestimistic...I just objectively trying to figure out how we get good enough to be a tournament team.

You don’t need 1 guy to be the man to go to the tournament. You need a team, the points next year are going to come from the collective. Phinisee, Durham, Green, Hunter, Davis can and will likely be 10+ points a game players. Which is what Tennessee was this year. We will not be a 2 seed, but think of us as a poor mans Tennessee next year. Fix the chemistry issues and be relatively healthy and we should be dancing. 

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Agreed. Imagine that Brunk and Davis would be the ones playing center and use TJD at PF. 

I agree, which raises a big question - is TJD really a college 4? Would love to hear from people who've seen him play a lot.

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

When I see teams like UK get all-conference grad transfers who can start and avg almost a double double it makes getting a guy that was less than impressive at Butler (I'm sorry he was...he was an avg player on a bad team where there are plenty of opportunities for rebounds and put backs) not look so impressive. If he ends up at IU I will root like crazy for him and hope he grows and plays great for us...but I ain't going to lie...hustle guy, hard worker should be the base effort...the minimum requirement for coming to IU. I would like to see the talent level be a little higher if we are going to be a tournament team. Otherwise if we are just trying to fill the basic requirements...I think we have maxed out the potential of this team....I will expect a lot more NITs in the future. We used to talk about bringing in guys that could put us over the top for a B1G championship and a run to the final four...now we are just trying to find guys that will get us in the tournament....I'd like to hope we could raise our standards but maybe we just aren't there yet.

We have not been to the tournament in 3 years now.  Yes, we need guys to just get to the Big Dance at this point.  Have to crawl before we can walk.

I like this addition if it is in replacement of a guy who wants to transfer out.  I have nothing bad to say about a kid like Moore.  However, up to this point it does not look like he is part of the coaching staff's plan.  If that is the case, I hope they let him know that.  From the limited action I saw, he is plenty good enough of a player to get minutes somewhere.  

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

You don’t need 1 guy to be the man to go to the tournament. You need a team, the points next year are going to come from the collective. Phinisee, Durham, Green, Hunter, Davis can and will likely be 10+ points a game players. Which is what Tennessee was this year. We will not be a 2 seed, but think of us as a poor mans Tennessee next year. Fix the chemistry issues and be relatively healthy and we should be dancing. 

I sure hope it's as easy as you make it sound.  😁   I see a lot of uncertainty in your answer, especially with the five players listed.  Not saying it won't or couldn't happen, but it feels like a stretch at this moment...not to mention your casual comments of "fix the chemistry" and "be relatively healthy".

10 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

The three things you need to have a top tier program:

1)Culture

2)Culture

3)Culture

What last night's games prove is that you don't need a lot of 5 star top 25 players to win in the tournament.  How many 5 star players played on teams that own last night so you are right is about culture and roster management.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

But Archie has nothing to do with the past so he deserves time to build his roster and culture.

I agree he deserves time. But 2 years in and the culture still stinks. If it’s the players not buying in then they need to go! I understand getting old and staying old. I appreciate that philosophy. But you have to get old and stay old with the right group of people. Quite honestly the culture may have regressed in year 2. 

1 minute ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

My question is, were there this many people upset with CTC after his second season being the coach at IU?  Lets see a record breakdown of CTC shall we through his first 5 years at IU compared to Archie.

Coach Tom Crean:

2008-2009: 6-25

2009-2010: 10-21

2010-2011: 12-20

2011-2012: 27-9(Sweet 16 appearance)

2012-2013: 29-7(Sweet 16 appearance)

Coach Archie Miller:

2017-2018: 16-15

2018-2019: 19-16(NIT Quarterfinals).  

2019-2020:

2020-2021:

2021-2022:

Anyone upset with Archie lets give him a break(yes CAM has some flaws but doesn't every coach to some point???), if at the end of year 4 we have not made the NCAA tournament and made it say to at least the 2nd rd or sweet 16 then we can revisit our thoughts about Archie.  It took Crean 4 years to get to the NCAA Tournament with IU.  If Archie and company improve say 2 games next season they are in the tournament.  Just my two cents. 

The fact that Crean didn’t know how to build a team and happened to get lucky in year 4 with Zeller doesn’t exactly make a strong case for Archie 

10 hours ago, Shooter said:

Brunk would be our 7th scholarship post player. And most of those guys are college 5s more than 4s - none of them have shown an ability to shoot the ball at this level. If these rumors are true, have to assume Archie is expecting one or more transfers.

"1-2. Two kids still debating". Is what I "heard". 

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

I sure hope it's as easy as you make it sound.  😁   I see a lot of uncertainty in your answer, especially with the five players listed.  Not saying it won't or couldn't happen, but it feels like a stretch at this moment...not to mention your casual comments of "fix the chemistry" and "be relatively healthy".

The goal has been from day one to get old and stay old. It’s a growth process. I see no reason why we wouldn’t continue to progress. We aren’t losing anyone who isn’t replaceable with more experience. To me part of the chemistry issues stem from having a one and done and a team of developing players. I agree with Seth Greenburg when he says if you have a one and done it breeds jealousy. You need multiple one and dones at the same time for it to work. Bc then you have kids going through the same process. Romeo was on a different process than everyone else. Not that it’s his fault, but then you get jealousy from others towards him. Chemistry issues. 

We started 4 freshmen and a senior in the Big attendance tournament. That is a young lineup. Continued skill development from the young guys will help. Personal/maturity growth from a young core will also help. 

Not saying to will be easy but I don’t see a reason to be down on the trajectory of the program at this point. 

Assuming one transfer is a front court player, I think Brunk would be a useful addition - he's got size and experience.  I'd hope he's got a good basketball IQ - he's a very good student.  He's also been through some tough issues with his family and should be pretty mature emotionally.  It's hard to not expect at least a single outgoing transfer, with two players families tweeting negative things and some rarely getting off the bench.

As for TJD, I've only seen him play a handfull of times on TV and I believe he will need some time.  Every freshman, with few exceptions, faces a large step up in competition and physical improvement. In the game against Ben Davis a couple of weeks ago he was basically man handled by the massive opposing center.  He did end up with a very good stat line, but he'll be facing players stronger and more experienced than that guy. I think he can become a very good player but I have tempered expectations for his freshman season.

21 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

In the game against Ben Davis a couple of weeks ago he was basically man handled by the massive opposing center.  He did end up with a very good stat line, but he'll be facing players stronger and more experienced than that guy. I think he can become a very good player but I have tempered expectations for his freshman season.

That kid for BD is massive. Something like 6’8 and 330+. And an athlete too. Believe he is an Ohio State offensive lineman recruit. I’m sure that kid bodies quite a few players he goes against. 

24 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Assuming one transfer is a front court player, I think Brunk would be a useful addition - he's got size and experience.  I'd hope he's got a good basketball IQ - he's a very good student.  He's also been through some tough issues with his family and should be pretty mature emotionally.  It's hard to not expect at least a single outgoing transfer, with two players families tweeting negative things and some rarely getting off the bench.

As for TJD, I've only seen him play a handfull of times on TV and I believe he will need some time.  Every freshman, with few exceptions, faces a large step up in competition and physical improvement. In the game against Ben Davis a couple of weeks ago he was basically man handled by the massive opposing center.  He did end up with a very good stat line, but he'll be facing players stronger and more experienced than that guy. I think he can become a very good player but I have tempered expectations for his freshman season.

1.) Who was the other family? I know of Ed Smith only.

2.) Dawand Jones is a future pro O-lineman. He would manhandle anyone. TJD will not be facing guys stronger than Jones. TJD handled Vernon Carey well in AAU as I recall, who is a pretty large man.

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

The goal has been from day one to get old and stay old. It’s a growth process. I see no reason why we wouldn’t continue to progress. We aren’t losing anyone who isn’t replaceable with more experience. To me part of the chemistry issues stem from having a one and done and a team of developing players. I agree with Seth Greenburg when he says if you have a one and done it breeds jealousy. You need multiple one and dones at the same time for it to work. Bc then you have kids going through the same process. Romeo was on a different process than everyone else. Not that it’s his fault, but then you get jealousy from others towards him. Chemistry issues. 

We started 4 freshmen and a senior in the Big attendance tournament. That is a young lineup. Continued skill development from the young guys will help. Personal/maturity growth from a young core will also help. 

Not saying to will be easy but I don’t see a reason to be down on the trajectory of the program at this point. 

I'm not really down on our coach or program.  But I question whether or not Davis is really going to be the player we thought he'd be...or Hunter.  Health plays an enormous part in their ability to perform as well as Phinisee's, possibly.  And as for Greene and Durham, well, l guess we can hope there's development.  

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

The fact that Crean didn’t know how to build a team and happened to get lucky in year 4 with Zeller doesn’t exactly make a strong case for Archie 

So then did he get lucky in year 5 with a team he didn't know how to build?  Not sure you can just assume Crean doesn't know how to build a team. 

19 minutes ago, rico said:

So what "Defcon" are we at right now?

I would say Defcon 4. If Purdue ends up in the final 4 you may see Defcon 3. I know it isn't Archie's fault the 2-3 years leading up to his tenure....but if it's taking 6-7 years since we have had any sense of success....it's going to ratchet up pretty quick. People don't look at the program in a vacuum...they take all things into consideration...others success...past years failures before this coach...they are hungry to win...and its been awhile since we have had an opportunity to be optimistic....then we got the best HS player this state has seen in decades and we still didn't make the tourney....that's depressing.

Archived