Joey Brunk (Butler transfer) Commits to IU

I'm usually skeptical when fans think we'll use a big lineup in the offseason.  Message board chatter tends to always predict a bigger lineup than what we see on the floor by the time we're in the heart of the Big 10 season. 

However, this seems to indicate that we'll likely be playing with two post players most of the time.  I would guess that Smith is likely going to be a 3 now.  Also- I wonder how this affects Race Thompson.  How much playing time will he get and would he tolerate a 3rd season on campus with little action?  

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I'm usually skeptical when fans think we'll use a big lineup in the offseason.  Message board chatter tends to always predict a bigger lineup than what we see on the floor by the time we're in the heart of the Big 10 season. 

However, this seems to indicate that we'll likely be playing with two post players most of the time.  I would guess that Smith is likely going to be a 3 now.  Also- I wonder how this affects Race Thompson.  How much playing time will he get and would he tolerate a 3rd season on campus with little action?  

Smith has shown zero capability to play the 3

1 hour ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Well, his first season was a redshirt as he was rehabilitating an injury after reclassing up a year. His second season was almost over before it began because of the awful concussion he had. Race just wasn't in game shape and didn't have the previous experience to play much down the stretch in the BIG.  It's not like he's been stewing at the end of the bench. So I don't get the narrative about him not "tolerating" a 3rd season in the wings when he hasn't had even half a season of availability.

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

B2074DE2-7EC6-40CF-8AFC-8949C6BDA691.jpeg

93AADF1B-2B9C-4B68-8CEC-FF8ED7A8A190.jpeg

Doesnt know when to stop.  Does he realize that is the same guy that worked out Yogi (a crean guy) and other players from past IU teams?  He works out a bunch of guys.  Doesnt mean anything except getting s workout in preparing for the draft.  

Maybe there is something brewing.  How do guys who know the game stick by Archie?  The dude can coach, and he was given a horrible roster.   I'll listen to Jefferies, Moye, Van Gundy, Knight anyday of the week.  

May 3rd is the last academic day of the semester.  If a player wanted to transfer yet lay low until then, I'm sure someone could be doing some back channeling to line something else up.  

It's hard to control a grown man.  Not sure the positives outway the negatives when trying to establish culture.  

Hoping that Trendon gobbles up this opportunity and the problem takes care of itself.  

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If Archie already hasn't had the 'Talk' with Justin, it needs to happen very soon.  Justin could very well be the nicest kid in the world, but if I'm coach, and dad is spewing this stuff on social media, the kid is off the team.  

Yeah, I would not put up with that.  And frankly if I was looking at a kid as a transfer, that kind of stuff would lead me to look elsewhere.  The payoff has been nowhere near worth the headache.

19 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Justin and his dad need to go. Unacceptable. 

Why? What has the kid done? He can’t control his dad. 

Justin is a really bright kid. Pretty sure he made academic all conference. He may or may not become the player that his athleticism suggests he could be, but I bet he figures it out.

CAM has the opportunity to stick by a kid and help him grow, or he can throw him out with the bath water. Unless Justin is doing the same as his dad, I think it would send a horrible message for the coaches to give up on him

Well, maybe he goes to Georgia. I was trying to stay optimistic about Justin for next season bc he is just a sophomore. But his Dad cannot do this crap. I don’t think the son should be held responsible for the actions of the father. But from a culture standpoint, you can’t have this around a program. Any successful program can’t have someone setting a negative tone. When you recruit, you recruit the family. I wouldn’t want Lanzo Ball and I think it time for Mr. Smith to have his son transfer. 

It feels misplaced to be upset with Justin.  It's his dad making noise.

There's no reason for Justin to suffer the consequences (including message board scorn) of someone else's actions.  Especially when that someone else is family, and has some degree of power over him.

Justin has to be true to himself, loyal to his teammates, loyal to his school and coach, and love his father.  All while in the public eye

That has to be difficult. 

24 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Why? What has the kid done? He can’t control his dad. 

Justin is a really bright kid. Pretty sure he made academic all conference. He may or may not become the player that his athleticism suggests he could be, but I bet he figures it out.

CAM has the opportunity to stick by a kid and help him grow, or he can throw him out with the bath water. Unless Justin is doing the same as his dad, I think it would send a horrible message for the coaches to give up on him

This is a great post. 

I would lose a lot of respect for CAM if any player is punished for the actions of a parent.

Make him transfer?  Essentially kick him off the team?  These are kids' futures we're talking about. 

Archived