Joey Brunk (Butler transfer) Commits to IU

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Now if we end up having at least 3 open spots between Romeo leaving and a couple transfers, then I won’t mind it as much.

This. 

But if we can only take on one additional player between now and the start of next season, there are several I'd take in front of Brunk. 

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

You mean the fans that roundly loved walk-on Zach McRoberts?  Give me a break.  This has nothing to do with “star ratings, “averages big point,” or whatever you’re rambling about.  It has everything to do with the fact that we have limited scholarships available, and another unathletic bench big who can’t rebound, dunk, defend, or block shots isn’t going to get IU into the tournament next season.

Now if we end up having at least 3 open spots between Romeo leaving and a couple transfers, then I won’t mind it as much.

I would bet you probably have not watched much of Brunk and Butler because he can rebound.  He also ahs a very good low post game with an up and under move.  He also is not a stiff and has some good athletic ability as well.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

This. 

But if we can only take on one additional player between now and the start of next season, there are several I'd take in front of Brunk. 

Like who because I have not seen our name mentioned for many of the grad transfers out there right now.

14 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I didn't do the math, but I believe he averages more rebounds per minute than DeRon Davis or Justin Smith do.. 

edit: just did the math and I am correct. Along with a higher FG% than both too. 

Davis and Smith also suck at rebounding, lol

I have not seen Brunk play (at least in years), no personal observations to offer.

Haven't read through the thread, so siap, here are his college stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/joey-brunk-1.html

On a purely stat basis, he 'looks' like a guy who would bring depth up front off the bench.

Fitz's spot is open. Fitz was brought in to help with outside shooting, which for whatever reason didn't pan out, but we're getting Hunter back and presumably Demezi will come back stronger as a soph, and he's a shooter (developing at the college level). 

If Brunk is a banger as it sounds like, he could help. 

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Someone who can space the floor. 

Brunk doesn't fill a critical need at the moment. 

While I agree that shooting/scoring from the perimeter is a bigger need right now in terms of actual play on the court, an almost larger need is at higher level in terms of culture. Right now this program lacks toughness, heart, consistent effort and physicality. Brunk will bring those things. I'm not saying he would transform those thing by himself overnight, but being that this would be a 2-year player I think this would be a really good "culture" add, in addition to what he's add on the court. 

Again though, I agree we also need at one shooter/scorer from the wing/guard spot. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I have not seen Brunk play (at least in years), no personal observations to offer.

Haven't read through the thread, so siap, here are his college stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/joey-brunk-1.html

On a purely stat basis, he 'looks' like a guy who would bring depth up front off the bench.

Fitz's spot is open. Fitz was brought in to help with outside shooting, which for whatever reason didn't pan out, but we're getting Hunter back and presumably Demezi will come back stronger as a soph, and he's a shooter (developing at the college level). 

If Brunk is a banger as it sounds like, he could help. 

Ugh though, looks like another bad free throw shooter. 

23 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I didn't do the math, but I believe he averages more rebounds per minute than DeRon Davis or Justin Smith do.. 

edit: just did the math and I am correct. Along with a higher FG% than both too. 

De'Ron Davis
Rebounds per 100 possessions, career: 12.3
Rebounds per 100 possessions, 18-19: 10.8
Rebounds per 40 minutes, career: 8.5
Rebounds per 40 minutes, 18-19: 7.4

Joey Brunk
Rebounds per 100 possessions, 18-19: 11.5
Rebounds per 40 minutes, career: 8.3
Rebounds per 40 minutes, 18-19: 7.7

They look pretty comparable to me

Here are two players stats from the big ten champion and a team in the sweet 16

Eifert  5.6 points and 5.1 rebounds

Eastern 7.4 points and 5.4 rebounds.

I would bet that Brunk could average this or even more and is the kind of play like Eifert that make plays that does not show up in the box score.

1 hour ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I'm going to chat with a Butler peer this afternoon that I trust more than any other. Should give us a better vision as to where we are, but multiple people told me today that Brunk to IU is good. All of them were Butler people, none were IU. 

After reading one Butler fan board.... they seem convinced Brunk is IU bound.

41 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

De'Ron Davis
Rebounds per 100 possessions, 18-19: 10.8
Rebounds per 40 minutes, career: 8.5
Rebounds per 40 minutes, 18-19: 7.4

Joey Brunk
Rebounds per 100 possessions, 18-19: 11.5
Rebounds per 40 minutes, career: 8.3
Rebounds per 40 minutes, 18-19: 7.7

They look pretty comparable to me

The big question is does everyone trust DeRon to get in shape and play a full season? I sure don't.

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The big question is does everyone trust DeRon to get in shape and play a full season? I sure don't.

Davis starts with Brunk as his direct backup, keep Davis minutes in the high teens to help limit injuries?  I'd be fine with that.  I would think DeRon can get back to or close to his 18.8 MPG that he had prior to his injury in 2017-2018.  Give Brunk close to his 18 MPG and that leaves around 4 MPG for the "Center" position". 

1 minute ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Davis starts with Brunk as his direct backup, keep Davis minutes in the high teens to help limit injuries?  I'd be fine with that.  I would think DeRon can get back to or close to his 18.8 MPG that he had prior to his injury in 2017-2018.  Give Brunk close to his 18 MPG and that leaves around 4 MPG for the "Center" position". 

I would love to see Davis average around 25 mpg and Brunk around 15 mpg

C- Davis/brunk

PF- TJD/Race

SF- Hunter/Anderson

SG- Romeo ? or Green/Franklin

PG- RP/Durham

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would love to see Davis average around 25 mpg and Brunk around 15 mpg

C- Davis/brunk

PF- TJD/Race

SF- Hunter/Anderson

SG- Romeo ? or Green/Franklin

PG- RP/Durham

If we are speculating I am guessing brunk gets closer to 30 with tjd around 30 and Davis around 20 if he is healthy and of course considering foul trouble for all

My first reaction was to think that if we're adding this guy it must be because coach is anticipating more than 1 additional spot opening up: now that I've thought about it more, I think this is our biggest need. If you start with the idea that we were playing like a tournament team for the last 8 games, including the 3 without Romeo, then we don't need a guy to move the needle, we need depth. 

Of the guys that shot a decent number of 3's the three guys with the lowest percentages are all leaving: that goes along way to fixing our terrible shooting. Throw in Hunter and Damezei and I don't think it's a terrible weakness. What we lack is a backup plan if TJD struggles adjusting to playing defense in the Big 10. Or if Davis misses time again. Or a guy that can plausibly push Smith to the bench if he struggles and/or doesn't hustle. This guy at least fills those roles - maybe more. 

My expectation for Brunk is a role player who brings energy and toughness.  I think we do need size.  De'Ron can be outstanding if things fall into place, but Brunk would give us a second player with legit size.  Moore is long but he never plays.  Shooting is an acute need but we need another center too.

We may very well have another opening or two for a shooter as well.  There is a spot for Brunk the minute Romeo declares for good, but beyond that, a transfer or two would be needed if there is a senior transfer who is a shooter or in the chance Trendon Watford falls out of the sky.

Plus think about all the puns we can have.  Season on the Brunk etc.

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Appreciate the intelligence...this one either adds to or subtracts from your "street cred" (the "done deal" rule).

I dont think he is proclaiming it...just passing along what he was told.

If he were to come on here and say "Brunk to IU.  Set in stone.  I'd bet my left nut on it!" And he....(sorry, I'm assuming he for some reason.  If I'm wrong, forgive me.)  wpuld happen to be wrong, then by all means, get the chloroform, duct tape and a spoon.

Archived