Joey Brunk (Butler transfer) Commits to IU

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My expectation for Brunk is a role player who brings energy and toughness.  I think we do need size.  De'Ron can be outstanding if things fall into place, but Brunk would give us a second player with legit size.  Moore is long but he never plays.  Shooting is an acute need but we need another center too.

We may very well have another opening or two for a shooter as well.  There is a spot for Brunk the minute Romeo declares for good, but beyond that, a transfer or two would be needed if there is a senior transfer who is a shooter or in the chance Trendon Watford falls out of the sky.

Plus think about all the puns we can have.  Season on the Brunk etc.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The big question is does everyone trust DeRon to get in shape and play a full season? I sure don't.

Exactly. What happens if Davis misses a game? Freshman TJD will need help. Brunk allows Davis to play 20-25 minutes and stay fresh. Is an experienced big for when Davis is in foul trouble or otherwise not able to play. TJD can get spot minutes at the 5 but play more at the 4 and be eased in. Brunk can be the experienced big when Davis leaves. I like the move the move and think it makes a lot of sense. Especially if Moore is not expected to be ready for bigger minutes next year and/or decides to leave the program

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My expectation for Brunk is a role player who brings energy and toughness.  I think we do need size.  De'Ron can be outstanding if things fall into place, but Brunk would give us a second player with legit size.  Moore is long but he never plays.  Shooting is an acute need but we need another center too.

We may very well have another opening or two for a shooter as well.  There is a spot for Brunk the minute Romeo declares for good, but beyond that, a transfer or two would be needed if there is a senior transfer who is a shooter or in the chance Trendon Watford falls out of the sky.

Plus think about all the puns we can have.  Season on the Brunk etc.

"If it aint Brunk, don't fix it..."

When I see teams like UK get all-conference grad transfers who can start and avg almost a double double it makes getting a guy that was less than impressive at Butler (I'm sorry he was...he was an avg player on a bad team where there are plenty of opportunities for rebounds and put backs) not look so impressive. If he ends up at IU I will root like crazy for him and hope he grows and plays great for us...but I ain't going to lie...hustle guy, hard worker should be the base effort...the minimum requirement for coming to IU. I would like to see the talent level be a little higher if we are going to be a tournament team. Otherwise if we are just trying to fill the basic requirements...I think we have maxed out the potential of this team....I will expect a lot more NITs in the future. We used to talk about bringing in guys that could put us over the top for a B1G championship and a run to the final four...now we are just trying to find guys that will get us in the tournament....I'd like to hope we could raise our standards but maybe we just aren't there yet.

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

De'Ron Davis
Rebounds per 100 possessions, career: 12.3
Rebounds per 100 possessions, 18-19: 10.8
Rebounds per 40 minutes, career: 8.5
Rebounds per 40 minutes, 18-19: 7.4

Joey Brunk
Rebounds per 100 possessions, career: 12.3
Rebounds per 100 possessions, 18-19: 11.5
Rebounds per 40 minutes, career: 8.3
Rebounds per 40 minutes, 18-19: 7.7

They look pretty comparable to me

In fairness these stats show Brunk rebounded 1.3 boards more per 100 possessions last season. 

Not to get too bogged down in stats, it'd be nice if he shot better at the stripe but another banger, if that's his game, would help.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

This is an interesting one to me. The offseason literally just started, so who knows how things are going to shake out. I personally think that shooting/scoring from the wing and/or guard spots is more of a need at the moment. But again, we don't know how the rest of the offeason will go. 

What I'm saying is, I think I'd be a little disappointed if say Langford leaving and Brunk taking his scholarship is the only change. I just think we have other needs higher on the lists. With that said, if we're able to keep Langford (not likely) and someone else leaves to open up this spot for Brunk, or 2 guys (Langford and someone else) leave and we add Brunk and a shooter/scorer, then I love the Brunk move. 

I think bringing Brunk in, if it were to happen, is a great culture move by Archie. I guess even higher than a shooter/scorer, culture is really the programs biggest need right now, and Brunk will bring toughness, energy, and basketball IQ. He's not the most talented guy, but he plays hard and physical, and from what I've seen (not a ton) he plays with a lot of emotion. IU needs that right now and Archie needs players like that right now to set the tone. 

So you are saying you were against it before you were for it? :)

15 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

😂😂.. ok you busted me..it was a txt..so technically i was not told...but it wasnt Twitter, I swear

I should have known better than to believe a guy with Doc Holiday avitar. LOL hope all is well for you and the family I send up a little prayer when I see your post

36 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Well here we go! First step to a make over of our roster! Here’s hoping it’s just the beginning! Welcome Brunk! Excited to have ANYONE with toughness, IQ and coachableness. 

You are correct. If this is the first step, it will be of many!

Archived