Purdue does more with less than Indiana

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Another thing is that Purdue's main goal going into every season is t win the big ten and nothing about the tournament.  They know if you build a program to win your conference it will alow you to get better seeds and that allows you a chance to do something in the tournament.  All our fans care about is the destination and that is the NCAA tournament and not the conference and to me that is not the best way of looking at your program.

Lol

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

Let's be honest - it took Cline shooting 70% from three (7-10) and scoring 27 for them to squeak out a win in overtime after being bailed out by getting fouled on a three after being up 18 in the second half.

Last game they were shooting lights out as well.  It definitely makes Painter look good, and I can admit that he's a good coach, but I'm not going to anoint him as some savant because they squeaked by with a player shooting 70% from three.

If they continue to shoot like that, they are going to be hard to beat, but that's a big ask in my opinion.

On another note, I'm just sick and tired of all the negativity.  Here we are bellyaching that Purdue plays hard, they have a culture, etc. when Painter is essentially Keady 2.0 and he's been the coach for 10 years!  That's a lot of stability.  Give Archie a second people!  He plays an entirely different system than Crean; it ain't gonna change overnight.

I mean even with Cline shooting like that, Tennessee still shot a better percentage from both the 3-point line and the foul line.  The game turned when Cline had to sit after that bogus 4th foul call against him.  It wouldn't have gotten that close IMO if they didn't call that foul.

56 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Agreed. A lot of love for a team that blew an 18 point lead and was bailed out by lights out shooting from Kline (props to him for incredible performance/his shooting has no impact on whether Painter is a good/great/bad coach though), UT fouling Edwards at the end (huge mistake by UT/agree with the call), and some shoddy clock work at the end of regulation (don't think it would have mattered b/c another mistake by UT of trying to make 2 passes for some reason instead of 1 before the T/O).

Why do people keep fixating on blowing a lead even after winning a game?  Tennessee blew a 25 point lead to Iowa but still won.  It only matters if you lose the game.

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why do people keep fixating on blowing a lead even after winning a game?  Tennessee blew a 25 point lead to Iowa but still won.  It only matters if you lose the game.

How you win games certainly matter. If your just scrapping by like IU was early in year red flags go up that there is trouble on the way. Congrats on the run boiler I’m sure it’s been fun. 

23 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

How you win games certainly matter. If your just scrapping by like IU was early in year red flags go up that there is trouble on the way. Congrats on the run boiler I’m sure it’s been fun. 

Fair point.  And thanks man.  Heading down tomorrow night with my dad for the game.  Pretty pumped.

26 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Blowing a lead like that is a sign. It matters IMO.

Still winning is also a sign.

Couldn't disagree more that it only matters if you lose the game. 

What happened to Tennessee in their next game after Iowa? Did blowing the lead have any impact on them? No way to tell. Maybe it did and that's why they got down by 18 to Purdue. Maybe it was Purdue's incredibly hot shooting to get their 18 point lead. Maybe it gave them the will to battle back after being down because they just experienced the other side of it. 

I think you're smart enough to know that just because Tennessee lost their next game in "reverse fashion" against Purdue, doesn't mean that Purdue will do the same. The fact that UT still won against Iowa after blowing a 25 point lead still matters though.

I can't respond to you anymore after this until you change that avatar either. 🤢

41 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean even with Cline shooting like that, Tennessee still shot a better percentage from both the 3-point line and the foul line.  The game turned when Cline had to sit after that bogus 4th foul call against him.  It wouldn't have gotten that close IMO if they didn't call that foul.

Pretty funny to call Cline's 4th a bogus call.  That play is pretty much what Purdue basketball is all about, they just got a dose of their own medicine there.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Pretty funny to call Cline's 4th a bogus call.  That play is pretty much what Purdue basketball is all about, they just got a dose of their own medicine there.

Why is it funny?  I counted 3 jump shots (2 fouls against Cline) and the one when the guy was cramping where they weren't touched.  Are we talking about the same foul? 

Won't root for the Toiletmakers period, but they do have one thing you coach haters need to pay attention to...a coach that has been there for awhile.  A lot of folks complaining about Archie would have also fired Painter long ago.

...and their success absolutely depends on their guards.  Shut them down and you win.

No matter how much I dislike PU and hope they lose every game, this team is fun to watch.  They play the right way and they have built their program the way I like a program to be built and the culture they have built.  Most of the players seems like good kid sand I don't dislike them except for Haarms.

24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Won't root for the Toiletmakers period, but they do have one thing you coach haters need to pay attention to...a coach that has been there for awhile.  A lot of folks complaining about Archie would have also fired Painter long ago.

...and their success absolutely depends on their guards.  Shut them down and you win.

To be fair, the expectations at Purdue aren't the same as us, and yes, Painter probably wouldn't still be the coach here if he had the same results. He's been there over a decade and this is the first time he's gotten past the S16, and there were back to back losing seasons in the middle of his tenure. I mean, congrats to them for what they've done this year, but getting this far is a major accomplishment for a program that's never won a title . It's simply not the same at IU, whether you think that's right or not. 

That being said, I do think expectations are being lowered with a new generation of IU fans, so those results might be acceptable to some people in that group. 

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

To be fair, the expectations at Purdue aren't the same as us, and yes, Painter probably wouldn't still be the coach here if he had the same results. He's been there over a decade and this is the first time he's gotten past the S16, and there were back to back losing seasons in the middle of his tenure. I mean, congrats to them for what they've done this year, but getting this far is a major accomplishment for a program that's never won a title . It's simply not the same at IU, whether you think that's right or not. 

That being said, I do think expectations are being lowered with a new generation of IU fans, so those results might be acceptable to some people in that group. 

To me our expectations should be like Painters said in an interview and that is to compete for the conference championship every year.  Right there should be are goal every year because the tournament is such a random thing so to expect great runs every year is not realistic.  If your goal is to win the conference then the tournament run will take care of itself because you will get high seeds in the tournament.  By the way I am the old generation of fan and have seen 3 national championships.  even rMK said the goal is to win the big ten first and foremost.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me our expectations should be like Painters said in an interview and that is to compete for the conference championship every year.  Right there should be are goal every year because the tournament is such a random thing so to expect great runs every year is not realistic.  If your goal is to win the conference then the tournament run will take care of itself because you will get high seeds in the tournament.  By the way I am the old generation of fan and have seen 3 national championships.  even rMK said the goal is to win the big ten first and foremost.

Well, Tom Crean won 2 titles in his time here, and he was fired. Why? Well, there were a number of reasons, but one of them was because of his team's failures in the tournament. Winning a B1G title isn't enough for this program, and it shouldn't be. It's not enough at the other blue blood programs, and if we're going to continue to act like we're still one, the expectations should be set accordingly.

FYI, I'm also an "old school" type, and I do believe that competing for a B1G title is important (as did RMK), but more because I think that prepares you for success in the tournament. 

2 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Regular season, I agree with you.  If you're scraping by on 1-2 point wins, you know the other side of the coin is going to show eventually.  And coaches/teams are familiar with each other. For the most part, Izzo, Beilein and Painter know how to game plan for each other. 

However, in the postseason, that degree of familiarity isn't there.  There are going to be stretches and runs based on quick adjustments, one player getting abnormally hot/cold, etc.  Survive and advance. 

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, Tom Crean won 2 titles in his time here, and he was fired. Why? Well, there were a number of reasons, but one of them was because of his team's failures in the tournament. Winning a B1G title isn't enough for this program, and it shouldn't be. It's not enough at the other blue blood programs, and if we're going to continue to act like we're still one, the expectations should be set accordingly.

FYI, I'm also an "old school" type, and I do believe that competing for a B1G title is important (as did RMK), but more because I think that prepares you for success in the tournament. 

Did not say that we shouldn't want tournament success but I never say in a certain year it is championship or bust because a lot of things can happen.  I would just rather enjoy 4 months of great basketball and maybe have to go through one disappointing day in March than struggling through regular seasons and maybe making a descent run.

1 minute ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Bill muffins ! Those (censured) jerks had more experience than Indiana did and has not lost a single key layer all season to injury ! Their streak of incredible luck is about to run out ! I can hardly wait !!!

Give it a rest because Purdue has had a great run

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why is it funny?  I counted 3 jump shots (2 fouls against Cline) and the one when the guy was cramping where they weren't touched.  Are we talking about the same foul? 

Maybe not.  I am talking about the one where Cline bowled over a guy that had stopped in his tracks.  I thought that was his fourth but I could be mis-remembering.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We'll, RMK also said that the most important game was the next one on the schedule, and that each offensive and defensive set were important. Doesn't seem like IU teams have played with that kind of mindset for quite a while. 

Just now, hoosiertildeath said:

Man , you can't handle  the truth ! They are the luckiest bunch of meatheads and it will soon be over for them ! Take your love for pee yew to black & gold !!!!!!

I hate Purdue as much as you but I can see over that hatred and don't have to resort to childish behavior since I am 48 years old.

Archived