Purdue does more with less than Indiana

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yeah, I think I get what you guys are saying, and I agree - a B1G title should be first priority, because that generally leads to tournament success as well. But, my question is still the same - would you be ok with those B1G titles and results if the tournament results weren't there, like what Bennett and Painter have done? Because, let's face it, for those of us that are older (I was on campus for the '87 title, so I'm pretty sure we're the same generation), we expected both.

yes and also Bennett is still a young coach and has time to do well in the tournament.  it took John Wooden 14 years to win his first title at UCLA

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yeah, I think I get what you guys are saying, and I agree - a B1G title should be first priority, because that generally leads to tournament success as well. But, my question is still the same - would you be ok with those B1G titles and results if the tournament results weren't there, like what Bennett and Painter have done? Because, let's face it, for those of us that are older (I was on campus for the '87 title, so I'm pretty sure we're the same generation), we expected both.

Good question, and this is where I see your point. Big Ten Titles are great, but the team has to be capable of deep tourney runs. As far as Bennett, I think I'd be happy minus last years 1/16 loss. Otherwise he has 4 ACC Titles and has been to a Sweet Sixteen and 2 Elite Eights. I'll take that, though there would be some pressure to break through soon and get to a Final Four. But, IMO he has teams that are capable of Final Fours, just needs to break through. 

Painter/Purdue is a different story. While what Painter has done the last 5 years at Purdue, mainly in terms of the regular season is impressive, I never actually view his teams as a Final Four caliber. I think he's maximized his talent really well, but I wouldn't call his teams title contenders. So no, at a full up and running IU that is not ok. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

yes and also Bennett is still a young coach and has time to do well in the tournament.  it took John Wooden 14 years to win his first title at UCLA

That's a fair point and I can appreciate that, but is there a point when the lack of tournament success is a problem? Painter's in, what, year 12-13 or something like that (I'm too lazy to go look), and this is his first EE. I think it's fair to say that if the older generation is ok with those results, then the expectations have been lowered. Not saying that is right or wrong, just that it's kind of true, yes?  

These are my thoughts first give Purdue credit! I hate their arrogant fans! As much as the next guy. They have a very nice team. They play hard every play something we don’t do! Some of the difference is Painter took over a program that was in good shape. Let’s be truthful Crean left the cupboard pretty bare. Why because he couldn’t recruit anymore are he knew he was getting fired an said to hell with it. Only he knows. We’ve got to quit calling for Archie to be fired. What recruit likes to hear that, why come the coach will begone before me. I believe Painter gets very good players ,but most are three to four year guys., but he always gets good shooters. And some big guys. They play hard defense and knock down shots! Everything we want our guys to do!  Crean could care less about defense are turnover! He just wanted to fly up and down the court and out score the other team. 90 to 85. That is still engrained in some of our upperclassmen. Archie needs to bring in new blood. I think that will wake a few guys up. If not well there time here in numbered. 

Purdue has continuity. We have had the exact opposite. Crean was a weird coach/personality and weirder recruiter who lacked consistency. We're paying the price for the many deeds of others (Knight, Sampson, Davis, Crean). The program is the epitome of death by a thousand cuts. It's time to heal these wounds with solid and rational recruiting and more importantly consistency. I think CAM's the guy, but fans are tired of being 2nd, 3rd, 4th fiddle in our on state. Next year is huge year in regards to exorcising some demons. 

39 minutes ago, Bob said:

These are my thoughts first give Purdue credit! I hate their arrogant fans! As much as the next guy. They have a very nice team. They play hard every play something we don’t do! Some of the difference is Painter took over a program that was in good shape. Let’s be truthful Crean left the cupboard pretty bare. Why because he couldn’t recruit anymore are he knew he was getting fired an said to hell with it. Only he knows. We’ve got to quit calling for Archie to be fired. What recruit likes to hear that, why come the coach will begone before me. I believe Painter gets very good players ,but most are three to four year guys., but he always gets good shooters. And some big guys. They play hard defense and knock down shots! Everything we want our guys to do!  Crean could care less about defense are turnover! He just wanted to fly up and down the court and out score the other team. 90 to 85. That is still engrained in some of our upperclassmen. Archie needs to bring in new blood. I think that will wake a few guys up. If not well there time here in numbered. 

Painter didn’t inherit what Crean inherited but I wouldn’t say the program was in “good shape” when he took over. Keady’s last few years were pretty bad. Purdue had only made the tournament 1 time in the last 5 years Keady was there and the year before Painter took over they were 7-21. He had Carl Landry and David Teague but Landry missed all but 5 games and Teague was out the whole season with injury. He made the tournament in year two with those guys back when he had Chris Kramer as a freshman. 

30 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Painter didn’t inherit what Crean inherited but I wouldn’t say the program was in “good shape” when he took over. Keady’s last few years were pretty bad. Purdue had only made the tournament 1 time in the last 5 years Keady was there and the year before Painter took over they were 7-21. He had Carl Landry and David Teague but Landry missed all but 5 games and Teague was out the whole season with injury. He made the tournament in year two with those guys back when he had Chris Kramer as a freshman. 

Painter had the advantage of being able to recruit his first class while waiting in the wings for Keady to finish his final year with it already know he was going to be the coach.  This is a huge advantage over coming into a program cold in the Spring to try to piece together a class for the upcoming year and for the following year. 

19 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Painter had the advantage of being able to recruit his first class while waiting in the wings for Keady to finish his final year with it already know he was going to be the coach.  This is a huge advantage over coming into a program cold in the Spring to try to piece together a class for the upcoming year and for the following year. 

It was good to have that but I still wouldn’t necessarily call it a program in “good shape” you know? I don’t think a program missing the tournament in 4 of the last 5 years is typically in good shape. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Guessing your dad is pumped?

Oh yeah.....Dad and 5 cousins.  Not counting all my Boiler buddies.

On a serious note, I couldn't help but think about my recently departed sis-in-law.  Purdue grad, Boiler fan through and through.  I imagine she has a big grin on her face up there in Heaven.

Darci would have been proud of the fellas...it brings a tear to my eye.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

On a serious note, I couldn't help but think about my recently departed sis-in-law.  Purdue grad, Boiler fan through and through.  I imagine she has a big grin on her face up there in Heaven.

Thoughts and prayers to your family man. Sorry to hear about your loss. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

I get it. My Dad, who passed in 2011, was a Purdue grad. Have thought of him a lot.

10 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

😘No Mas 99 points ! No Mas " pork chop and his little hot dog " in 2018-2019 ! How sweet it is ! Muck pee yew !!!!!

Yeah pretty sweet.  They make the Elite Eight and we get bounced in the quarters of the NIT at home.  Definitely a "top of the world" feeling.

I don't like Purdue, but they put on a great show last night. Edwards was fun to watch. Hope he goes pro, so we don't have to see that in a PU uniform any more. I realize he is short, but can't believe he is picked to be bottom of second round. 

I know it has been said before, but how good would IU be if they had Kyle Guy and Ryan Cline opening up the floor for all of our other players.

6 minutes ago, Chad B said:

I don't like Purdue, but they put on a great show last night. Edwards was fun to watch. Hope he goes pro, so we don't have to see that in a PU uniform any more. I realize he is short, but can't believe he is picked to be bottom of second round. 

I know it has been said before, but how good would IU be if they had Kyle Guy and Ryan Cline opening up the floor for all of our other players.

Spot on....! As much as I hate Purdue, they were legit during this tourney. It's rare that I say ANYTHING good about that team, but props to them and what they accomplished. Carson is an absolute stud and scary good! I would love to see gun slingers like he and Cline playing for the Pacers. I would welcome either one of them.

21 minutes ago, Chad B said:

Regarding Edwards draft status, this was before last night:

Known mostly as a volume scorer, he has looked significantly more efficient and showed an improved shot selection during March Madness. If he can continue to play at this level, improve his playmaking and do well during the pre-draft process, there is plenty of reason to believe a team would take a chance on him in the first round.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/03/30/carsen-edwards-march-madness-ncaa-tournament-nba-big-board-mock-draft-projection/

Excellent article. I guess I was thinking of an older mock draft.  Late first round or early second round seems reasonable to me.  Best of luck to him in the NBA.  He would be crazy not to go in the draft after his performance in the last three games. 

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Spot on....! As much as I hate Purdue, they were legit during this tourney. It's rare that I say ANYTHING good about that team, but props to them and what they accomplished. Carson is an absolute stud and scary good! I would love to see gun slingers like he and Cline playing for the Pacers. I would welcome either one of them.

Cline will not sniff the NBA. 

Archived