Clifton Moore

With Moore gone and some talk of others transferring it got me thinking which is dangerous.  Even though Green finished the year off strong I can still see hi wanting to go elsewhere.  I just don't see him and Archie every really seeing eye to eye on what they want from Green.  The only thing that could stop him is that he is going into his senior year and not wanting to transfer and have to sit out the year.  Unless he can graduate it would be tough to transfer.  To me Smith just does not looks like he doe snot enjoy playing for Archie and they don't see eye to eye either

This is total hypothetical but say those two leave but some hoe Romeo stays and we get Brunk how would this 9 deep rotation look to you. Also we would probably add a couple of more players.

RP/Durham

Romeo/Franklin

Hunter/? new recruit

TJD/Thompson

Davis/Brunk

That would still leave Forrester and Anderson so that still would not be that bad of a lineup.  I know that is a big if with Romeo and Hunters health.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Fact is, as long as Archie fills all 13 schollies, there will be 4-5 guys not getting enough PT, and we will have transfers.  Archie is going to play 8, 9 at most.  Even with all the injuries this year, Cliff, Jake, Damezi, and to a lesser extent, Race, could not get on the floor.  Sure, we can fill the scholarship, but why?  It will just mean we will have one more player unhappy with PT next season.  

For sure.  Ideally, guys are brought along slowly.  Few minutes freshman year, 6-12 mpg sophomore year and around starter status or minutes as an upperclassman.  Get old , stay old.  I get Clifton wasn't getting those minutes described above.  Here's to hoping it's an amicable split by all parties, including us fans.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

With Moore gone and some talk of others transferring it got me thinking which is dangerous.  Even though Green finished the year off strong I can still see hi wanting to go elsewhere.  I just don't see him and Archie every really seeing eye to eye on what they want from Green.  The only thing that could stop him is that he is going into his senior year and not wanting to transfer and have to sit out the year.  Unless he can graduate it would be tough to transfer.  To me Smith just does not looks like he doe snot enjoy playing for Archie and they don't see eye to eye either

This is total hypothetical but say those two leave but some hoe Romeo stays and we get Brunk how would this 9 deep rotation look to you. Also we would probably add a couple of more players.

RP/Durham

Romeo/Franklin

Hunter/? new recruit

TJD/Thompson

Davis/Brunk

That would still leave Forrester and Anderson so that still would not be that bad of a lineup.  I know that is a big if with Romeo and Hunters health.

What did you just call Romeo?  :coffee:

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Fact is, as long as Archie fills all 13 schollies, there will be 4-5 guys not getting enough PT, and we will have transfers.  Archie is going to play 8, 9 at most.  Even with all the injuries this year, Cliff, Jake, Damezi, and to a lesser extent, Race, could not get on the floor.  Sure, we can fill the scholarship, but why?  It will just mean we will have one more player unhappy with PT next season.  

I can agree with you on most of what you have said.  With the exception of the Brunk rumor coming true.  Should that happen, I could see Joey getting much more PT than Clifton did.... which... helping to make your point.... would  cause some one else further down the bench.

It the end... it all depends upon how much one treasures wearing the Candy Stripes.  And going down in history as a life long Hoosier.  Given the chance, and knowing my BB skills... I would have given anything to have worn the Candy Stripes for four years.... understanding my abilities... but being able to live the experience. 

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I can agree with you on most of what you have said.  With the exception of the Brunk rumor coming true.  Should that happen, I could see Joey getting much more PT than Clifton did.... which... helping to make your point.... would  cause some one else further down the bench.

It the end... it all depends upon how much one treasures wearing the Candy Stripes.  And going down in history as a life long Hoosier.  Given the chance, and knowing my BB skills... I would have given anything to have worn the Candy Stripes for four years.... understanding my abilities... but being able to live the experience. 

Indiana's end of the bench guys need to be from Indiana, specifically IU country.  This season, on the end of our bench, we had two guys from Pennsylvania, one from Minnesota, one from California, and one from South Bend, which, while in Indiana, is not actually IU country. 

That's why I'm confounded so many people want to take a wait and see on Anthony Leal.  At worst, you get a player that has dreamed his whole life about donning the candy stripes who would likely be content waiting his turn for playing time.  At best, you hit lightning in a bottle and immediately  get a rotation guy that can help solve the biggest team weakness (shooting).

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I’m with you in that wearing the candy stripes would have been a dream come true for me (it also would have required a nuclear event that eliminated 99.999% of all HS basketball players).

Unfortunately, because of the last 20+ years, the perception that today’s HS players have of IU is not the same as yours or mine. I was listening to a Brian Snow podcast and it was striking that he said that none of the last three Indiana 5 stars (Romeo, TJD and Brooks) grew up being IU fans....Think about that.  On a positive note, this can be turned around with a few good years.

8 hours ago, INDenizen said:

I don't like to see kids transfer either, but I'm at the point where I'm going to give Archie a long leash (working within the rules of course) to build his team and potentially save his job. We may not like some of it, but if on and off the court this team and culture improve, then I for one will be satisfied. And Archie may have tried to convince him to stay.

Since things have been going rough, some fresh faces, attitudes and skill sets interests me for sure.

“Save his job”?

What do you mean?

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’ve worked with weasal’s before and it seems like they have a tendency to not be the best shooters. But they’re quick and crafty little booger’s.

Yep, they are scooters not shooters........and they got sharp teeth.  When they got the ball, they take the air out of it.

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

RP/Durham

Romeo/Franklin

Hunter/? new recruit

TJD/Thompson

Davis/Brunk

Judging from Devonte's Wichita State post game comments, he knows what he needs to work on (consistency, decisions) and he didn't sound like a guy who was contemplating transferring.

And I don't know if this is correct thinking, but if it was me looking at transferring, I'd enter my name in the transfer portal ASAP to give myself the largest amount of options. 

Good luck, Clifton...

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Indiana's end of the bench guys need to be from Indiana, specifically IU country.  This season, on the end of our bench, we had two guys from Pennsylvania, one from Minnesota, one from California, and one from South Bend, which, while in Indiana, is not actually IU country. 

That's why I'm confounded so many people want to take a wait and see on Anthony Leal.  At worst, you get a player that has dreamed his whole life about donning the candy stripes who would likely be content waiting his turn for playing time.  At best, you hit lightning in a bottle and immediately  get a rotation guy that can help solve the biggest team weakness (shooting).

Huh,  what's that you said about South Bend ?

Funny stuff.  Agree with you. Over time, having end of the bench guys who bleed Cream and Crimson.... I would hope would only help IU snare top of the barrel kids from Indiana.

We need less Gary Harris's and Branden Dawson's..... and more Cody Zeller's, and yes even more Romeo Langford's 

12 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I’m with you in that wearing the candy stripes would have been a dream come true for me (it also would have required a nuclear event that eliminated 99.999% of all HS basketball players).

Unfortunately, because of the last 20+ years, the perception that today’s HS players have of IU is not the same as yours or mine. I was listening to a Brian Snow podcast and it was striking that he said that none of the last three Indiana 5 stars (Romeo, TJD and Brooks) grew up being IU fans....Think about that.  On a positive note, this can be turned around with a few good years.

Even more would have had to been eliminated for me, than you.  Does, not take away a dream from a kid who can't remember a time when he did not cheer for IU. And I am going back to the days when Walt Bellamy was my idol growing up in NWI. 

Does anybody know if Green is ready to graduate in 3 years ?

Either way I don’t understand this transfer speculation because it just doesn’t add up, and despite the ‘good/bad Devonte’, I’d really hate to see him leave. 

Assuming Romeo is gone (I believe this to be a safe assumption) its a pretty big gamble throwing Anderson or Hunter into Green’s role. Green has played in Archie’s system for 2 years and has the most playing experience of anybody on the team. He, along with Al, are really the only ones who don’t play scared either. 

He also was the only one at the end of the season who I felt comfortable shooting the 3. Green will not be asked to handle the ball as much next year and I think he’s better suited to be playing off the ball. 

AND from his standpoint, do you really think he wants to sit out a year and transfer when he’s going to have a huge role on next year’s team?

Everybody is always complaining that we are young and inexperienced and don’t have any leaders, etc., etc. Let’s give some guys a chance to lead before shipping them off to another program. Have we forgotten the days of players like Verdell Jones, asked to do so much early in their career and then finally settling into their role. I’m not sure there are any recruits or transfers out there right now who are going to help this team next year more than Green will. 

Sorry,  just had to rant for a minute.   

Archie and the staff CLEARLY know more than me about players on the team, and building a program. However, I have to wonder...

What is the point of burning a year of eligibility on a guy like Jake this past year? They had to have seen in practice what he was going to provide. I do understand Deron's uncertainty and Race's injury made things a little tight in the front court, but Jake and Clifton were interchangeable (I thought Clifton was better in the limited action). Jake did nothing that Fitzner couldn't do.  So we had 5 bigs (including Justin) for 2 spots.

It's always possible they asked him if he wanted to redshirt, or take whatever opportunities to play this year (albeit, mostly garbage time)...and Jake could have said he didn't want to redshirt. But the thing is...these kids like Jake and Moore, are really put in a position to develop in to a contributor by sophomore year, or reallllllly start to question a transfer if their purpose is to play college basketball games. And the staff doesn't really have time for "what ifs" on development, so they go after a Joey Brunk and/or other grad transfers.

So, Jake is competing with...
Davis (Sr.)
TJD (McDs AA)
Race (third year at IU, and good)
Brunk (assumption, but 22 years old, 6'11 230, classic Big Ten style player)
Justin Smith (2 year starter)

I don't see Jake taking any meaningful minutes from those guys.

Now, because he never redshirted, he's a Junior, and only one player from those 5 that he couldn't beat out are leaving. No significant PT in site and only 2 years of eligibility. He transfers to get PT, and we have Race Thompson as the only big man left. 

If he redshirted, he would instead be going in to his RS Sophomore year, getting a chance to earn some minutes, but has a RS Jr and RS Sr year ahead, with departures from Brunk, Smith and maybe TJD. Front court would be RS Senior Race Thompson and RS Junior Jake Forrester.

There needs to be a cycle where we always have upperclass bigs coming up through the program, and not losing them to transfer.

2 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Archie and the staff CLEARLY know more than me about players on the team, and building a program. However, I have to wonder...

What is the point of burning a year of eligibility on a guy like Jake this past year? They had to have seen in practice what he was going to provide. I do understand Deron's uncertainty and Race's injury made things a little tight in the front court, but Jake and Clifton were interchangeable (I thought Clifton was better in the limited action). Jake did nothing that Fitzner couldn't do.  So we had 5 bigs (including Justin) for 2 spots.

It's always possible they asked him if he wanted to redshirt, or take whatever opportunities to play this year (albeit, mostly garbage time)...and Jake could have said he didn't want to redshirt. But the thing is...these kids like Jake and Moore, are really put in a position to develop in to a contributor by sophomore year, or reallllllly start to question a transfer if their purpose is to play college basketball games. And the staff doesn't really have time for "what ifs" on development, so they go after a Joey Brunk and/or other grad transfers.

So, Jake is competing with...
Davis (Sr.)
TJD (McDs AA)
Race (third year at IU, and good)
Brunk (assumption, but 22 years old, 6'11 230, classic Big Ten style player)
Justin Smith (2 year starter)

I don't see Jake taking any meaningful minutes from those guys.

Now, because he never redshirted, he's a Junior, and only one player from those 5 that he couldn't beat out are leaving. No significant PT in site and only 2 years of eligibility. He transfers to get PT, and we have Race Thompson as the only big man left. 

If he redshirted, he would instead be going in to his RS Sophomore year, getting a chance to earn some minutes, but has a RS Jr and RS Sr year ahead, with departures from Brunk, Smith and maybe TJD. Front court would be RS Senior Race Thompson and RS Junior Jake Forrester.

There needs to be a cycle where we always have upperclass bigs coming up through the program, and not losing them to transfer.

Jake was a freshman this past season. Part of CAMs first recruiting class. The sophs were all CTC recruits

But in hindsight, redshirt wouldn’t have been a bad thing 

• 5 weeks later...

Archived