Declaring for pros....

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Even with Carsen Edwards And Cline pee yew

lost Three more games this season than they lost the previous season ! They will Lose more than ten games in 2019-2020 , imho . P.S.,those of you who have good memories will remember  that I predicted that they would not win as  many games this season before this season started !!

I’m guessing you predicted they’d make the Elite 8 too lol. You do realize Purdue had a better season this year than last year right?  They won the B1G and made the Elite 8 versus last year finishing in 2nd and losing in the Sweet 16.  The win/loss total isn't that relevant.

Here's what I found out about the NBA over the past 10-15 years. Nothing we think every translates. For those who are big CE boards I'd prep for disappointment. There's only about 4-5 guys his size regardless of wingspan that make the league or stay in the league longer than 2 years. Yogi actually is a very rare exception.

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Monta is 6’3, though.  He’s got to have 5-6 inches on him.  Kyle Lowry is 6’0.

i could see him as a scorer, ideally with a taller point around him.  It’s tough to be tiny and not be a facilitator. 

Agreed, the chances of being like Monta (ceiling) are pretty slim 

22 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

6 figures net, I'm assuming. 

This is what I found out about my friend's son that played in Germany.  He made $175,000 per year tax exempt.  The team supplied him a house and a car.  The team also paid his agent's fees.

Not too shabby at all.

Just now, rico said:

This is what I found out about my friend's son that played in Germany.  He made $175,000 per year tax exempt.  The team supplied him a house and a car.  The team also paid his agent's fees.

Not too shabby at all.

That's an often overlooked aspect of Euro contracts, which is the reason I asked.

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's an often overlooked aspect of Euro contracts, which is the reason I asked.

I forgot to mention this...My friend told me that the league his son played in had a rule.  Only two Americans were allowed per team.

25 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

If 26&10 is better than 30&7 , the World is going to explode !I!SO LMAO !! P . S 😢Those jerks failed to win the NCA A Tournament  , again for the 80th. Consecutive season !!!!

Ask anyone if they'd rather have 26 wins, a B1G championship, and an Elite 8 appearance or 30 wins, no B1G championship, and a Sweet 16 appearance.  It'll be lopsided toward the former.

29 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

If 26&10 is better than 30&7 , the World is going to explode !I!SO LMAO !! P . S 😢Those jerks failed to win the NCA A Tournament  , again for the 80th. Consecutive season !!!!

Are you really dragging on PU for going to the Elite 8 and winning the BIG when we could barely tie our shoes this season?

14 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

I understand all that with non guaranteed deals.   Maybe 10-15 years ago it didn't work out much for 2nd round picks.  Now, many of these 2nd round picks that get cut cut often find new contracts fairly quick.  Ray Spalding was a late 2nd.  Mavs cut him and paid him 847k to open up a roster spot in Porzingus trade. Not sure why they didn't cut JJ.  Anyway, Suns scooped Spalding up and gave him a 2 year deal starting next year around 1.5 mil per year.  I understand that is not guaranteed but my guess if he is cut someone will sign him.  2nd round contracts do not seem so scary.  It just seems the landscape has changed quite a bit with extra opportunities out there.  And it works both ways.  What if you stay and do not move up your draft stock? 

Yes certainly agree the landscape has changed with more (and better) opportunities. China, Europe, the G League, have all improved in playing opportunity, salary/contracts and exposure. The League's use of the G League is growing and scouting in Europe and players going and coming back is growing. Generally still better off with a first - round pick, but yes opportunity is there in the second.

Another thing that has changed the NBA in terms of second round picks making the league is the change that first round picks are no longer fully guaranteed. It used to be if you were picked in the 1st round you were guaranteed 4 years. That was a significant investment for a team. Now, a team can opt out of the 1st round picks contract after two years, which as a result has made 2nd round picks on a much more level playing field.

In the past even if a 2nd round pick was able to get a contract, even if he outplayed a 1st round pick it wouldn't really matter because of the investment the team had in the 1st rounder. Now if pick #37 outplays the guy a team took at 22 it's no big deal, we'll just cut the guy we picked at 22. You couldn't do that in the past. This has made being a 2nd rounder much less of a negative. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Matthews, Poole, and Ignas all declare from Michigan. 

Makes sense for Mathews since he is a senior but I don't think the other two will stay in the draft.  Did Poole and Ignas hire an agent or are they just going through the process.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Makes sense for Mathews since he is a senior but I don't think the other two will stay in the draft.  Did Poole and Ignas hire an agent or are they just going through the process.

Ignas hiring an agent. He's gone. 

1 minute ago, Sagamore said:

I think they changed the rules a bit - if they retain an agent then can opt to go back to school if not drafted and invited to combine

I didn't mean he's gone simply because he hired an agent, it's his comments about declaring...

3 minutes ago, Sagamore said:

I think they changed the rules a bit - if they retain an agent then can opt to go back to school if not drafted and invited to combine

Iggy will get drafted at some point though  he is young enough that someone will take a chance on him at some point.

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I didn't mean he's gone simply because he hired an agent, it's his comments about declaring...

Yep. He's gone and I wouldn't surprised if the others are too. Kids just want to take the next step. Michigan could go from a top team in Big to maybe, maybe middle of the road. 

Archived