Declaring for pros....

49 minutes ago, rico said:

This is what the NCAA has created with their rules.

Agreed. But like the OAD rule, the NBA holds the keys.  They are very ruthless when protecting their business.  Apparently they have been fine with what OAD has done to colleges, coaches, players, and college basketball in general.  Something like the baseball rule makes too much sense.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Agreed. But like the OAD rule, the NBA holds the keys.  They are very ruthless when protecting their business.  Apparently they have been fine with what OAD has done to colleges, coaches, players, and college basketball in general.  Something like the baseball rule makes too much sense.

All the rules in the other major professional sports make more sense than the NBA's.  

4 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

The one and done has actually been great for both the NBA and college basketball. There's elements of it that stink for coaches and fans, but there are also elements that are great for everyone. I'm not saying I like it, but it has been great for college basketball to have the Greg Oden's, Anthony Davis's, Zion Williamson's, etc., etc. in the college basketball, even if for just a year. 

33 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The one and done has actually been great for both the NBA and college basketball. There's elements of it that stink for coaches and fans, but there are also elements that are great for everyone. I'm not saying I like it, but it has been great for college basketball to have the Greg Oden's, Anthony Davis's, Zion Williamson's, etc., etc. in the college basketball, even if for just a year. 

Booooooooooooooooooo

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Is the NBA obligated to give feedback to every kid that declares? At what point is it a waste of resources for the NBA or wherever it is giving this feedback?

For guys on the NBA radar, like Carsen Edwards and Juwan Morgan last year, I would think they get actual feedback.  For the others, I can't imagine any NBA scout taking time to do any kind of research unless it's a favor to the kids coaching staff or something.  Dakich, on his show today, said they submit paperwork to enter the draft and get back a drafted/not drafted response only.  I could see that response for Smith and/or Durham.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

For guys on the NBA radar, like Carsen Edwards and Juwan Morgan last year, I would think they get actual feedback.  For the others, I can't imagine any NBA scout taking time to do any kind of research unless it's a favor to the kids coaching staff or something.  Dakich, on his show today, said they submit paperwork to enter the draft and get back a drafted/not drafted response only.  I could see that response for Smith and/or Durham.

Well that would be a massive waste of time for both, then.  If there's no real feedback besides drafted/not drafted, I can give both that answer today and that's from someone who likes and supports both players.

A very close friend of mine is in tight with a former college player that tested the waters. Not sure if the player was being serious or just making light of it, but he told us the NBA feedback was return to school be sure you get your degree in a field you like because that's what you will be doing for a career not playing basketball. 

Not sure if he was serious or just that guys like him dont get much back

Can't seem to find it anywhere that I have looked on here but Romeo has signed with an agent.  Happy Walters, so I guess we can put that to rest now that it is official as of yesterday.  I figured maybe it was talked about on here yesterday but couldn't locate it anywhere last night when I looked.

1 hour ago, bryan200088 said:

Can't seem to find it anywhere that I have looked on here but Romeo has signed with an agent.  Happy Walters, so I guess we can put that to rest now that it is official as of yesterday.  I figured maybe it was talked about on here yesterday but couldn't locate it anywhere last night when I looked.

Rule change.  Just signing with an agent doesn't immediately make a player ineligible if they pull back out. 

25 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Rule change.  Just signing with an agent doesn't immediately make a player ineligible if they pull back out. 

Yeah they can but I don’t think that will be the case.  IMO it’s a signal he is gone for good. I know it’s been said all along he was leaving regardless of what happened I just held out the smallest sliver of hope.

3 minutes ago, bryan200088 said:

Yeah they can but I don’t think that will be the case.  IMO it’s a signal he is gone for good. I know it’s been said all along he was leaving regardless of what happened I just held out the smallest sliver of hope.

Oh I don't expect him to either, just saying that the agent issue isn't the automatic line in the sand that it used to be.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Oh I don't expect him to either, just saying that the agent issue isn't the automatic line in the sand that it used to be.

Agreed.  It really is becoming a little bit of a cluster.  I wish they would figure out the OAD and draft stuff.  Decide on something and stick with it

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Time to resurrect this thread...

Fran gets some good news to counter the Bohannon injury. Joe Weiskamp withdraws from the draft today and will return to the Hawkeyes. 

He was the B1G's #2 three point shooter last year.

Does that mean the Francon level got downgraded?

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Summary: Durham, Smith and Green have all withdrawn.  Romeo still in as of the time of this post.  All as expected. 

Well over 80 who have not withdrawn, by my count. Could be close to 100, but I counted fast.  Do all these guys expect to be playing in the NBA next year ?

Second question.  Just suppose the three that are coming back, decided to stay in the draft.  Where would that have left IU at this late date ?  Just does not sit right with me. 

Wonder if any of the older guys that withdraw their name are candidates for transfer.  Remember right before the tourney Goodman said something along the lines of a "known" state of Indiana kid was going to transfer?  I've always wondered if Brunk was that guy or if it was a more "known" name.  

Are they still out there?  Could there be a few of these guys out there that become transfers?

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Wonder if any of the older guys that withdraw their name are candidates for transfer.  Remember right before the tourney Goodman said something along the lines of a "known" state of Indiana kid was going to transfer?  I've always wondered if Brunk was that guy or if it was a more "known" name.  

Are they still out there?  Could there be a few of these guys out there that become transfers?

Assume he was talking about Brunk

Archived