Transfers

rico

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I don't mean to disrespect the late Neil  Reed, but when it come to fitting in to RMK system, he was a soft.  

Fife was tough as nails.  

How  in the world was Reed soft or did you forget him playing in pain in his freshman year with his shoulder going out of place.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

How  in the world was Reed soft or did you forget him playing in pain in his freshman year with his shoulder going out of place.

I did forget that.  I guess my memory was lost in the fog of time. 

Also, one shouldn't drink and post. Idiotoc things may come out. 

18 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Derek Holcombe did OK at Illinois. 😀

Had to google a few articles because I remember the name just not the story. Didn't start following the Hoosiers hard until early 80's. What I found amazing about DH and others....is the number of players that Knight booted after obviously two of the greatest seasons a coach or program could ever have. 

Conflicting reports on DH. Did he leave because of the way Knight did things or otherwise? I saw he was a 3rd round pick in NBA draft in 81. Curious if he ever had regrets leaving. 

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Had to google a few articles because I remember the name just not the story. Didn't start following the Hoosiers hard until early 80's. What I found amazing about DH and others....is the number of players that Knight booted after obviously two of the greatest seasons a coach or program could ever have. 

Conflicting reports on DH. Did he leave because of the way Knight did things or otherwise? I saw he was a 3rd round pick in NBA draft in 81. Curious if he ever had regrets leaving. 

This is what I feel happened regarding Holcomb.  He was brought in to be the heir apparent to Benson, he had his opportunities his frosh year and did not not take advantage of them.  Then he saw the writing on the wall as Ray Tolbert was coming to town.  That is my take.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

This is what I feel happened regarding Holcomb.  He was brought in to be the heir apparent to Benson, he had his opportunities his frosh year and did not not take advantage of them.  Then he saw the writing on the wall as Ray Tolbert was coming to town.  That is my take.

Didn't he have some foot injury issues?  Not that it caused him to leave, but something I vaguely remember.

10 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Didn't he have some foot injury issues?  Not that it caused him to leave, but something I vaguely remember.

Not that I recall.  But that '76-'77 season is one that I try not to remember.  

17 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

One of the articles I read via google search mentioned his arches or something along that line. They caused an inability to keep up with Knight's practices. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Not that I recall.  But that '76-'77 season is one that I try not to remember.  

Yeah...That was a tough season.  Coming off the '76 team and championship there was great expectations due to a highly regarded freshman class with Mr. Basketball from Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois.  Only problem was Grunwald blew out his knee, Carter struggled as a guard, Holcombe wasn't the next "Benny".  And they were freshman...New to the Knight way of playing.  Woods on was the only member that actually lived up to his title, IMO.  And Mike Miday from Canton, Ohio left IU without ever playing a game.  

4 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah...That was a tough season.  Coming off the '76 team and championship there was great expectations due to a highly regarded freshman class with Mr. Basketball from Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois.  Only problem was Grunwald blew out his knee, Carter struggled as a guard, Holcombe wasn't the next "Benny".  And they were freshman...New to the Knight way of playing.  Woods on was the only member that actually lived up to his title, IMO.

The 76-77 team officially ended up 16 - 11 (11 - 7 in Big Ten).  Minnesota beat us twice, but later forfeited both games.

A lot of talent.  We won the first game of the season 110 - 64.  Everyone on campus thought the train was still rolling. 

I played against Mike Woodson once in a HPER pick up game.  He must have learned a lot from me, on his way to over 2,000 points at IU.  😀 😀 😀

Archived