Josh Fryar Commits to Ohio State

KDB

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I know it's early after the visit,  but has anyone heard an6 rumblings on his visit?  I hate missing out on guys like David Bell, but linemen like Fryar will make a bigger difference on this program making the next step.

How do you figure? I feel like you guys have had pretty decent/good lines recently but didn’t have a plethora of stud skill players like a David Bell. I think they’re both important but if I had to pick between skill guys or linemen, I’d go skill guys. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How do you figure? I feel like you guys have had pretty decent/good lines recently but didn’t have a plethora of stud skill players like a David Bell. I think they’re both important but if I had to pick between skill guys or linemen, I’d go skill guys. 

I feel like we have had a lot of skill talent at rb with Tevin Coleman, Jordan Howard, and now Stevie Scott and crew.  Wide receiver has been pretty solid too with Cody Latimer, Shane Wynn, and Simmie Cobbs, etc.

I think the biggest difference for IU and PU to compete with the big boys regularly,  not a random win here or there, is offensive and defensive line.

Our oline has been pretty solid, but there have been crucial times we needed to run to convert a first down and couldn't do it.  Or stop the run to get off the field.

I don't disagree Bell would have been a great addition to our roster,  but we need as many big athletic linemen as we can get.

7 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

I feel like we have had a lot of skill talent at rb with Tevin Coleman, Jordan Howard, and now Stevie Scott and crew.  Wide receiver has been pretty solid too with Cody Latimer, Shane Wynn, and Simmie Cobbs, etc.

I think the biggest difference for IU and PU to compete with the big boys regularly,  not a random win here or there, is offensive and defensive line.

Our oline has been pretty solid, but there have been crucial times we needed to run to convert a first down and couldn't do it.  Or stop the run to get off the field.

I don't disagree Bell would have been a great addition to our roster,  but we need as many big athletic linemen as we can get.

Yeah that makes sense. Or we have a good first unit but not a ton of depth whereas OSU/PSU can go 2 or 3 deep at most positions with minimal drop-off. It’ll be nice when we don’t have to keep using grad transfer band-aids on the OL haha. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If you pick skill over line you're going to be in a world of hurt. 

48 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

But idk if I’d agree that a guy like Fryar would make a bigger difference on the program making the next step than Bell. 

I am by no means trying to diminish Bell because he is an absolute stud, but football is blocking and tackling... the rest falls further down the list. 

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Ohio State, it will be interesting to see whether Ryan Day—who is completely unproven at this level—is up to the job.  He’s going to find there’s more to the job than developing an offensive game plan.  He’s inheriting talent but managing it can be difficult. Michigan, as an example, recruits at a high level (look at the last draft where half their defense got drafted) and hasn’t been able to break through.  Day may do well but it’s not preordained. 

• KDB changed the title to Josh Fryar Commits to Ohio State

Archived