Outlier, Beating MSU?

It's really been bothering me, that I can't put any kind of finger on the reason IU beat final four team MSU both home and away while looking horrible for such a great part of the season. Best thing I came up with, is that in both games it seems our most inconsistent players actually showed up! To me that is extremely scary for next season! Someone help me out, please!!

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

It's really been bothering me, that I can't put any kind of finger on the reason IU beat final four team MSU both home and away while looking horrible for such a great part of the season. Best thing I came up with, is that in both games it seems our most inconsistent players actually showed up! To me that is extremely scary for next season! Someone help me out, please!!

Well the first game at MSU the missed a lot of free throws that helped us win the game.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well the first game at MSU the missed a lot of free throws that helped us win the game.

We miss a lot of free throws to help other teams win games. That’s why they make players take the shots. We outplayed them. We won because we hit shots. When you pair a Top 30 defense with hitting a decent percent of shots, you’re going to win some games. 

1 minute ago, cohete15 said:

We miss a lot of free throws to help other teams win games. That’s why they make players take the shots. We outplayed them. We won because we hit shots. When you pair a Top 30 defense with hitting a decent percent of shots, you’re going to win some games. 

Really that's what I see, we actually hit our shots!! But why those games and not others?

10 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Really that's what I see, we actually hit our shots!! But why those games and not others?

So that we have at least 1 item to hang our hat on. The only team to defeat the potential champ 2 times.  Enough to keep us coming back, just like a great golf shot. Why not every time just enough to keep me excited and coming back. This season we were in the bunkers, water the high rough and out of bounds but we had an eagle and a hole in one and we as fans can ask why just those games.

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

So that we have at least 1 item to hang our hat on. The only team to defeat the potential champ 2 times.  Enough to keep us coming back, just like a great golf shot. Why not every time just enough to keep me excited and coming back. This season we were in the bunkers, water the high rough and out of bounds but we had an eagle and a hole in one and we as fans can ask why just those games.

Iowa smoked us twice in '81......

11 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Some teams get "up" emotionally as a group for some teams better than they do others.  Same with the way teams match up individually. . 

Sometimes there is a very simple answer to that and sometimes it is pretty complicated. I just know that is one reason a coach has to know their team. Hard to know them fully- and get a grasp of how combining different players changes the dynamic -  with so many changing faces and so many injuries and recovery periods that IU had overlapping through different points in the season. Archie barely had the troops to hold  a normal practice for most of the year.  

Changes to line-ups for any reason bring a set of changes to the team dynamic. Changing opponents can as well.

That is just the tip of the iceberg of the many things which can either individually - or combined ,  lead to such confusing inconsistencies. . 

I think it comes down to 3 factors, and nobody would blink an eye that we beat MSU 2x if we were in the NCAA’s. So the 3 factors pertain to the losing streak. 

1) Youth. We have a young squad, underclassmen. We started 4 freshmen and sophomores vs OSU in the BTT. This leads to inconsistent play. 

2) Injuries. We had a losing streak and we had kids out during this time. 

3) Locker room unity. There were some struggles in this area this season. Who k led what the truth is, but clearly there was some team friction. 

#1 is the biggest reason I’m optimistic for the future. We are starting to get older and we should have a team that understands how to play and show more consistency in their play. 

I saw the potential of the future in the game at MSU.  When Morgan went out, we had our young players who had not seen the floor that much flex some muscle.  It frustrated me to no end that Archie went back to the old rotation after that game, instead of choosing to build off of it with getting the younger guys more time, especially given we were  in massive losing streak. 

In sorry but the chemistry issues alone explain a ton. I know a lot of people on this board have played team sports and if even half the drama that’s been communicated actually happened there is NO WAY, that can be over come in favor of winking consistently. 

12 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

In sorry but the chemistry issues alone explain a ton. I know a lot of people on this board have played team sports and if even half the drama that’s been communicated actually happened there is NO WAY, that can be over come in favor of winking consistently. 

I remember there being a bit of a bully on my high school wrestling team.  He took exception to a take down off the mat on to the hard wood.  As a team, we were competing well up to that point.  My teammate popped the other guy in the face and received a dq.  As the visiting team, we didn't win another match.  Perfect retaliation imo. 

Chemistry is huge in all team sports.

Archived