Indiana vs Marian (Exhibition)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Even though it’s exhibition, I’m so excited to watch this team in Miller’s first season. It’s like a huge reboot to the entire program. What are we looking for most in today’s exhibition game? What would we like to see and who are we most excited to see? 

Go Hoosiers!

I hope to see domince by Deron! That is what I'm looking for the most tonight followed up by how Morgan plays. That's two players who can make this team go in my opinion!

9 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Purchased a month of BTN+ and ready to go. Football at 3:30 and basketball at 8. :snack:

Funny story a few years ago I took my son to the lance stemler basketball camp and DJ shows up and walks by and I'm speachless.....he finally says how's it going? I say great and he told us a funny story and was awesome! My son had a great time and it was a great experience!

45 minutes ago, Beowulf50 said:

Funny story a few years ago I took my son to the lance stemler basketball camp and DJ shows up and walks by and I'm speachless.....he finally says how's it going? I say great and he told us a funny story and was awesome! My son had a great time and it was a great experience!

Nice story! DJ and I had the same major and were the same year in Bloomington so I was around him a lot over the course of four years.

Pumped for the game.  Gonna be really interesting to watch this team develop this season, and it all starts with this game.

Since Hartman isn’t playing tonight, I bet we roll out a 3 guard line-up with Newkirk, Green, RoJo, Morgan, Davis to start.  That just might be our starting line-up for the the majority of the year.

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Pumped for the game.  Gonna be really interesting to watch this team develop this season, and it all starts with this game.

Since Hartman isn’t playing tonight, I bet we roll out a 3 guard line-up with Newkirk, Green, RoJo, Morgan, Davis to start.  That just might be our starting line-up for the the majority of the year.

I wouldn't be shocked by that, especially if they look good early.  

I am viewing this game under the assumption that IU will have a distinct advantage in talent in this game. Therefore, I am most interested in how CAM functions in this game. How does he handle rotations? What adjustments does he make at halftime? Does he use the bench as a motivational tool?

I am just as interested in the improvement of the coach as I am in the improvement of the players 

Definitely was an exciting exhibition to watch with it being Archie's first game.  I was very impressed with Devonte Green, and also thought CuJo and Newkirk played well.  Davis still needs some work down low, but the potential is there and will break out this season.  RoJo and Morgan had bad offensive games, but that will change.  Very happy with the defense, and it will only get better.  McSwain looked a TON better, very relaxed and played within himself.  Moore and Smith have a ton of potential, but played like typical freshman.  

Overall I was very pleased, and can't wait till next weekend for the 2nd exhibition game.

37 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

come on guys, is this all i get?  i didn't get to watch it, and i never go back and watch games after the fact.  fill me with knowledge!  final stats?  altered thoughts on starting 5 and rotations?  defense?  ball movement?  decision making?  toughness?  need input!

Some stats and thoughts, with the caveat it's just the first exhibition game against an NAIA team 

-- Green thrived, played a game high 30 minutes, 22 points on 64% shooting (9-14), but more importantly 7 assists to 2 TO's, to go with 6 boards. He gets into the lane and back out well. CAM commented that Green is the best on the team at being able to "skip" into the paint and back out and "do some things" -- he was making plays last night.  Should add that his 7 assists and 6 boards were also team highs. And 2 blocks and a steal.

-- CuJo also had a good offensive game, 4-7 for 13 points.

-- Newkirk also had 13 points, on 3-5 in 26 minutes. This was a multiple ball-handler game with 3 guards starting, as Collin was out.

-- Davis played 19 minutes, went 5-7 for 10, with 4 boards. Still working himself into more of a role -- will need to hit the glass harder.

-- Rob and Morgan did not have good games offensively last night, but I think more important than individual stats:

We had 10 TOs total (to Marian's 16), while holding them to 39% shooting (to our 54%) -- ball control and defense showing (early) work. We also had 5 steals to their 4. 5 of our 10 TO's were by frosh Justin Smith (4) and Moore (1). Remove those and we had 5 TO's. It's just an exhibition, but a nice start in taking control of the rock.

There was a lot of talk during the game in the chat that is worth reading for those that didn't watch. Some points I'll add to HH's synopsis....

Our defense was MUCH better. The pack line was not perfect, we have to close out on shooters better. We pressured the ball well, we helped well, we just didn't recover well at times. Still, we should be happy with our defense. Marian didn't miss many open looks so the 39% shooting is really a testament to our good defense. 

Offensively, we took some bad shots early in the game. Lots of quick threes without much ball movement that we could have gotten at any point in the shot clock. As that seemed to get better, so did our offense. Green is really good. Newkirk looked really good to me too. Rob had such a bad shooting night, but aside from just missing shots he was fine. 

I was thrilled with McSwain. He can do everything you want a backup 5 to do. He is a good defender and great rebounder. He finished at the rim and can knock down his free throws. Here's to him having a nice senior year then a successful career in the NFL as a tight end. 

I feel good about our backcourt after this game. All four guards will be good players for us. Hartman will be a big help in the front court. If Smith and/or Moore can step up to be solid rotation guys, we could have a really nice 9 or 10 man rotation. 

Archived