Indiana vs Marian (Exhibition)

I liked the three guard lineup of Green, Newkirk, and RoJo.  Their games complement each other nicely.  Green is the only real distributor of the group, but all three can shoot and get to the rim.  A little bit discouraging to see RoJo shoot so poorly, we need him to be a lot better.  But with CuJo also playing well, it looks like Archie is definitely right about our guard play being the strength of the team.

Nice to see the turnovers down as well.  Helps when the team isn’t being instructed to frantically push every single possession.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

There was a lot of talk during the game in the chat that is worth reading for those that didn't watch. Some points I'll add to HH's synopsis....

Our defense was MUCH better. The pack line was not perfect, we have to close out on shooters better. We pressured the ball well, we helped well, we just didn't recover well at times. Still, we should be happy with our defense. Marian didn't miss many open looks so the 39% shooting is really a testament to our good defense. 

Offensively, we took some bad shots early in the game. Lots of quick threes without much ball movement that we could have gotten at any point in the shot clock. As that seemed to get better, so did our offense. Green is really good. Newkirk looked really good to me too. Rob had such a bad shooting night, but aside from just missing shots he was fine. 

I was thrilled with McSwain. He can do everything you want a backup 5 to do. He is a good defender and great rebounder. He finished at the rim and can knock down his free throws. Here's to him having a nice senior year then a successful career in the NFL as a tight end. 

I feel good about our backcourt after this game. All four guards will be good players for us. Hartman will be a big help in the front court. If Smith and/or Moore can step up to be solid rotation guys, we could have a really nice 9 or 10 man rotation. 

I didn't see the game, but I listened on radio.

Closing out 3-pt. shooters is a systemic  weakness of the Pack line defense.

59 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I didn't see the game, but I listened on radio.

Closing out 3-pt. shooters is a systemic  weakness of the Pack line defense.

I understand that, but we had moments that we're particularly bad. As in guys would help, as they are supposed to, and literally not even try to get out on the shooter following the kick out. 

I know you're going to give up threes with this defense, but you have to get a hand up to contest. Not closing out at all is not good. That said, overall our defense was really good. 

I really don't want this to devolve, but reading the thoughts On Deron it reminded me of the old CTC complaint. So my question since I have almost no information other than what I read here (thanks to all) is any of the current staff known for developing bigs?

37 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I really don't want this to devolve, but reading the thoughts On Deron it reminded me of the old CTC complaint. So my question since I have almost no information other than what I read here (thanks to all) is any of the current staff known for developing bigs?

Not sure if this answers your question.  However, Ed Schilling prepped Greg Oden, and Gordon Hayward for the NBA.

And here is his video, based off of his book... Mandatory moves....part of  which he addresses post play.

Mandatory Basketball Moves with Ed Schilling - YouTube

6 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I liked the three guard lineup of Green, Newkirk, and RoJo.  Their games complement each other nicely.  Green is the only real distributor of the group, but all three can shoot and get to the rim.  A little bit discouraging to see RoJo shoot so poorly, we need him to be a lot better.  But with CuJo also playing well, it looks like Archie is definitely right about our guard play being the strength of the team.

Nice to see the turnovers down as well.  Helps when the team isn’t being instructed to frantically push every single possession.

Rob had a really bad shooting game, but he also had 4 assists to 0 TO's and a steal. Other than his shooting his game was there.

11 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I know it's an exhibition game, but it's discouraging to hear about RoJos shooting troubles.

Seems like I remember he was struggling towards the end of last season....

Rob had a terrible stretch in the middle of B1G play last season, which led to his worst three point shooting year of his college career.  That said, I wouldn't read into one game.  IIRC, Archie said he is the best shooter he has ever coached.  Everyone, even Steph Curry, can have bad shooting nights.  

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I thought Davis looked good, we just didn't really play through him.  

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Rob had a really bad shooting game, but he also had 4 assists to 0 TO's and a steal. Other than his shooting his game was there.

I agree that he’s capable, I was more just commenting that we’re going to need him to score efficiently night in and night out to be a good team.  We can’t afford many 3-13 nights out of him once conference play starts.

As for Davis, it looks like Green might be our only guard that can get the ball in the post very well at this point.  And the team hasn’t spent much time learning the offense yet either, so that also doesn’t help.  Im sure he’ll get a lot more involved in the offense as the season goes on.

31 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

thanks guys.  much better!  really hoping CAM will play our top 8 good minutes, 9 a little more sparingly, and 10 very sparingly in close games.

From the looks of it, Green, Newkirk, RoJo, Morgan, Davis, Hartman, CuJo, Smith, and McSwain will all get good minutes.  McRoberts and Moore may also get meaningful minutes, but fewer than those nine.  Priller will probably get clean-up minutes again, and Durham is an unknown.

Archie has a history of doing more with less.  By that, I mean he does not go deep into his bench.  One year he was forced to do that, due to injury.  Not that he is not afraid to use the bench as a learning experience, for those that commit egregious errors.  Something that Crean seemed to have an aversion towards.

Going further into that.  Knight was not afraid to use the bench. Heck it won us a national championship. Benching one Keith Smart, in a NC game, when he was upset with Keith's game.  But had the good sense, since it was the NC game.... to bring Keith back into the game.  Who then took over the game, much less hit the winning shot.

The more I think of it.  Archie is more Knight like, than any coach we have had since Knight..... but without all the bravado. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Going further into that.  Knight was not afraid to use the bench. Heck it won us a national championship. Benching one Keith Smart, in a NC game, when he was upset with Keith's game.  But had the good sense, since it was the NC game.... to bring Keith back into the game.  Who then took over the game, much less hit the winning shot.

The more I think of it.  Archie is more Knight like, than any coach we have had since Knight..... but without all the bravado. 

IIRC, Knight also used the bench on Keith Smart in the Syracuse championship game too. Fortunately, RMK put Keith back in the game at the right time and the rest as they say is history.....

25 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

IIRC, Knight also used the bench on Keith Smart in the Syracuse championship game too. Fortunately, RMK put Keith back in the game at the right time and the rest as they say is history.....

Actually, that is the game I was referring to.  Knight took Smart out, because he was not happy with his play.  However reinserted Keith , who then went on a tear.... before this happened.

Keith Smart 1987 "The Shot" - YouTube

And note the comment in this video..... remember that amount of time he (Smart) spent on the bench.

1987 National Championship - Indiana vs Syracuse - YouTube

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Archie has a history of doing more with less.  By that, I mean he does not go deep into his bench.  One year he was forced to do that, due to injury.  Not that he is not afraid to use the bench as a learning experience, for those that commit egregious errors.  Something that Crean seemed to have an aversion towards.

i really hope this is the case.  really no reason for Priller, Moore, McRoberts, or anyone else lower than our top 10 in our rotation needs to play when games are close.  10 guys don't get tired in a college bball game and if they're the better players, keep them on the floor.  not rec ball or church league.

I don't know how anyone can be critical of a coach over one game, and an exhibition game to boot. 

Given that this was the first time Archie had seen these players competing against anyone but themselves, my opinion is that he wanted to see as many kids play as he could, to get a better feel on their capabilities as well as how much they had or had not bought into his style of basketball.

I very much liked his comments after the game in which he complimented the team for staying in their offense, and not letting it become a transition game, which he felt would provide little to no benefit to the team in the long run. 

Man, what a different and refreshing viewpoint versus what we have seen the last few years.

6 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I don't know how anyone can be critical of a coach over one game, and an exhibition game to boot. 

Given that this was the first time Archie had seen these players competing against anyone but themselves, my opinion is that he wanted to see as many kids play as he could, to get a better feel on their capabilities as well as how much they had or had not bought into his style of basketball.

I very much liked his comments after the game in which he complimented the team for staying in their offense, and not letting it become a transition game, which he felt would provide little to no benefit to the team in the long run. 

Man, what a different and refreshing viewpoint versus what we have seen the last few years.

yeah, in an exhibition game, i couldn't agree more.  don't know if you thought my hopes of a tight rotation pertained to this game, but it definitely didn't.  need to get guys in for exhibition games for sure and no reason to play big minutes.  i wasn't sure if the guy earlier in the thread was even being serious about criticizing Miller.  was that serious?

Archived