Rashawn Williams Commits to Indiana

Leathernecks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Deciding April 29th. I feel good about our chances with him but could see it going either way. 

It seems weird that a top 200 WR from Michigan has Purdue and Indiana apparently at the top of his list.

I guess maybe that is a good sign for the direction of both programs, but it seems like some bigger schools should be in on him.

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It seems weird that a top 200 WR from Michigan has Purdue and Indiana apparently at the top of his list.

I guess maybe that is a good sign for the direction of both programs, but it seems like some bigger schools should be in on him.

Yeah I agree. It seemed all Michigan a few months back and then something changed for whatever reason. Don’t know of any off-field issues here so interesting scenario for sure. 

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/04/16/top-10-2020-michigan-high-school-football-prospects/3454393002/

Rashawn Williams, Detroit King

Position: Wide receiver

247Sports Composite Ranking: 4-star prospect, No. 166 overall, No. 33 wide receiver

Prediction: Indiana

Buzz: My guess is that when he makes his initial verbal commitment, it’s going to come down to Indiana and Purdue, and ultimately, he ends up with Hoosiers. Williams has gone on record and said that he loves to family feel at Indiana, and that his mom loves it there as well. Also, keep in mind that former U-M standout Mike Hart is an assistant there, and he has formed a strong relationship with Williams and his family.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/04/16/top-10-2020-michigan-high-school-football-prospects/3454393002/

Rashawn Williams, Detroit King

Position: Wide receiver

247Sports Composite Ranking: 4-star prospect, No. 166 overall, No. 33 wide receiver

Prediction: Indiana

Buzz: My guess is that when he makes his initial verbal commitment, it’s going to come down to Indiana and Purdue, and ultimately, he ends up with Hoosiers. Williams has gone on record and said that he loves to family feel at Indiana, and that his mom loves it there as well. Also, keep in mind that former U-M standout Mike Hart is an assistant there, and he has formed a strong relationship with Williams and his family.

Wonder why they used the word initial verbal making it sound like if he verbal's it might not stick.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder why they used the word initial verbal making it sound like if he verbal's it might not stick.

That is a good point.  I hadn't even noticed that when I read it.  Unfortunately, due to his high ranking, I would be nervous until he signed in December.

I like hearing that he loves the family feel at IU, and that his mom loves IU.  Never put together the Mike Hart connection before.  Even though he wouldn't be his position coach, it probably wouldn't hurt our chances.

42 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Still think something is weird with this recruitment. Top 50 guy who doesn’t have any blue bloods in his final list seems odd. 

It does seem weird.  If he does pick IU, I'll just be happy that it gives us a good look of the program and maybe gives us an edge in recruiting with some guys.

I would not be at all surprised if whoever he commits to doesn't end up signing him.  I wouldn't even be surprised if a wild card gets picked next week besides IU or PU.  It does all just seem odd. But, if it is IU, I sure hope his commitment will stick!

It looks like we picked up another Crystal Ball pick today.  The one a couple days ago was Allen Trieu, and at the time that was the only pick for us.  Now we have 2, and Steve Wiltfong is the only one to change a pick the last 2 days, so it has to be him.  It is VIP, so I can't see it, but it clearly is him changing it to us.

The other picks in his Crystal Ball are either Michigan or undecided, and Michigan hasn't been talked about for a while and isn't in his top 5.  Only 22 hours until his commitment, so we'll all know soon enough.

In the video I linked, he also talked about wanting a school that is willing to look at some of the other guys on his high school team.  I would love a few of them.

Deondre Buford - top 500 OT, looks like we're already recruiting him.

Peny Boone - top 500 RB, offered, but doesn't seem like we're high on his list...yet!

Jaylen Reed - top 250 S, no offer listed

Checked the Michigan blogs for insider info and found nothing substantial. No issues with grades or the law, just seems like he's not interested in staying in state. Some people speculated that Michigan cooled on him after Josh Gattis was hired, but that's just smoke. And considering that Williams has been a top prospect for a while now, and Harbaugh offered him in 2017, I doubt that he went from "top priority" to "maybe" in a couple of months. And as far as Purdue and Indiana go, I can see the appeal. Both are out of Michigan but in driving distance of home, Purdue has a top offense, and Indiana offers immediate playing time. 

8 hours ago, bryan200088 said:

I think we will be happy tomorrow. Good pickup if so and should only help with his teammate I would think

I see he has several teammates with legit D-1 interest,  who else do we have a legitimate chance with from that school?  

There is a lot of talent that comes out of Detroit,  would love to get a pipeline there like we have in Tampa.

Archived