Devonte Green Article

I haven't seen this article posted yet, but I think it's well worth the read. 

I posted last week that I think the speculation of is crazy, and after reading the quotes in this article, I'm more confident that he stays.

...And I really hope he stays. 

It seems he's well aware of his tendencies that drive coaches crazy and him and Archie are trying to work through it. I think the team needs his confidence and his veteran presence; I'd really love nothing more than for him to take a huge step up next year and lead this team. 

This was a great article. I remember watching the Wichita State pre-game interviews over on on inside the hall with Devonte and Juwan. Devonte seems so guarded and I thought he was annoyed with having to be there. But, after reading this article, it definitely puts all that into perspective. I couldn't imagine having my mother leave when I was young then my father going away for 1.5 years while only in 5th grade. Major props to that family for sticking together through it all. 

Also, the author, Eddie Cotton, was on this week's podcast on the brink and talks about the article. 

I read this earlier this week too and it really gave me a new appreciation for Devonte and what he’s gone through. Then I started thinking... how great would it be if rather than tear kids down for not living up to their expectations, what fans (of all programs, not just IU) chose to really get behind these kids and cheer them on through these formative years and help them along their journey in life. There’s always a back story and you never know what people are really dealing with/going through in life so better to choose kindness and help build them up.  

22 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I read this earlier this week too and it really gave me a new appreciation for Devonte and what he’s gone through. Then I started thinking... how great would it be if rather than tear kids down for not living up to their expectations, what fans (of all programs, not just IU) chose to really get behind these kids and cheer them on through these formative years and help them along their journey in life. There’s always a back story and you never know what people are really dealing with/going through in life so better to choose kindness and help build them up.  

Agree. And I'll admit that it's hard when you get caught up in the moment during a game or after a game. At times I need to remind myself to show a little restraint. I am a little ashamed after I spew a bunch of insults at the TV, but it's hard for me to read what people publicly post on the forums or social media feeds. This group of posters on HSN shows by far the most restraint, so i know i'm preaching to the choir for the most part, but I just wish people would realize that these kids are human before they bash one's character publicly. There's a fine line between criticizing performance and attacking character. Some people need to be better at recognizing that line and not step over it. 

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hoping for good Green. Make the simple pass...hit the open 3...just want him to know his limits. The bad drives and tournovers and inexplicable shots have to stop though...he is a senior.

I'm sure we will still see some of that bet expect a much greater proportion of Good Devonte to Bad Devonte.

I make an effort to stay away from the behind the scenes stuff so in that regard I'll stay away. He's got a high TO% and that's undeniable. He's got a reputation as a bit of a bone head and got tagged with the 'good / bad devonte' tag that some players get hit with. I call that bull. Our offense was extremely stagnant for stretches and Devonte created scoring higher than Rob did. Everyone knew exactly what to do to stop our offense so of course you'll have to take risks to beat their optimal defensive game plan. He can make world class passes and those TO's only happen because we were handcuffed.

We know he's a very good 3 point shooter but what gets lost in that 41% is the types of shots that he took to get there. He wasn't only taking wide open looks like Rob, Juwan, or Romeo. He wasn't sitting on the line waiting for kick outs and catch and shoots like Al. He can hit shots from any variation. Off the dribble, catch and shoot, deep, late + forced, weird angles, you name it.

We are a good defensive program now and Rob gets a lot of plaudits for being a big part of that (rightfully so) but I think the vast majority doesn't appreciate just how hard he works and how smart Devonte is on that end of the floor.

RB%: DG 7.7, Rob 6.8, Al 3.8.

Steal%: DG 3.2, Rob 2.4, Al 1.1

Block%: DG 2.5, Rob 0.5, Al 1.0

Fouls per 40: DG 2.2, Rob 4.5, Al 3.

You don't put those types of numbers up defensively without fouling if you lack IQ. Your shot selection isn't poor if you're taking shots from anywhere and at anytime while maintaining 41% on a squad that can't shoot and is predictable to defend. 

I think he could be an absolute star if you embraced Devonte properly. If you want to temper him down and get him playing in a more traditional or safer style then you're wasting him. He's clearly got the instincts, skill, ability, and confidence to carry a team. I'd run the show around him and let him off the leash. Not completely like Carson Edwards who's shooting 20 shots a game but if Tony Bennett can play the slowest tempo in the nation and can get Kyle Guy 8 three's a game then we can find a way to let Devonte shoot. The last 6 games he was getting about 7 a game and hitting around 50%. 

I'm feeling moderately optimistic going into next season. I think Archie was handcuffed by Juwan and Romeo to a degree. Juwan was too good not to run everything through him. We couldn't really shoot the ball any less either so what can you do other that let Romeo shoot it 3-4 times a game?

There's no clear and obvious way of how we will play but I think it needs to feature DG shooting 7-8 times a game from deep.

I'm a huge fan of the guy as you can tell 🙂 

Love the "Batman and Batman" comment!

The thought I had is it seems Archie has said more than once "Devonte can take us places no one else can ". Tells me Archie believes in Devonte and next year could be special when they figure each other out! 

1 hour ago, JWoolsey said:

I make an effort to stay away from the behind the scenes stuff so in that regard I'll stay away. He's got a high TO% and that's undeniable. He's got a reputation as a bit of a bone head and got tagged with the 'good / bad devonte' tag that some players get hit with. I call that bull. Our offense was extremely stagnant for stretches and Devonte created scoring higher than Rob did. Everyone knew exactly what to do to stop our offense so of course you'll have to take risks to beat their optimal defensive game plan. He can make world class passes and those TO's only happen because we were handcuffed.

We know he's a very good 3 point shooter but what gets lost in that 41% is the types of shots that he took to get there. He wasn't only taking wide open looks like Rob, Juwan, or Romeo. He wasn't sitting on the line waiting for kick outs and catch and shoots like Al. He can hit shots from any variation. Off the dribble, catch and shoot, deep, late + forced, weird angles, you name it.

We are a good defensive program now and Rob gets a lot of plaudits for being a big part of that (rightfully so) but I think the vast majority doesn't appreciate just how hard he works and how smart Devonte is on that end of the floor.

RB%: DG 7.7, Rob 6.8, Al 3.8.

Steal%: DG 3.2, Rob 2.4, Al 1.1

Block%: DG 2.5, Rob 0.5, Al 1.0

Fouls per 40: DG 2.2, Rob 4.5, Al 3.

You don't put those types of numbers up defensively without fouling if you lack IQ. Your shot selection isn't poor if you're taking shots from anywhere and at anytime while maintaining 41% on a squad that can't shoot and is predictable to defend. 

I think he could be an absolute star if you embraced Devonte properly. If you want to temper him down and get him playing in a more traditional or safer style then you're wasting him. He's clearly got the instincts, skill, ability, and confidence to carry a team. I'd run the show around him and let him off the leash. Not completely like Carson Edwards who's shooting 20 shots a game but if Tony Bennett can play the slowest tempo in the nation and can get Kyle Guy 8 three's a game then we can find a way to let Devonte shoot. The last 6 games he was getting about 7 a game and hitting around 50%. 

I'm feeling moderately optimistic going into next season. I think Archie was handcuffed by Juwan and Romeo to a degree. Juwan was too good not to run everything through him. We couldn't really shoot the ball any less either so what can you do other that let Romeo shoot it 3-4 times a game?

There's no clear and obvious way of how we will play but I think it needs to feature DG shooting 7-8 times a game from deep.

I'm a huge fan of the guy as you can tell 🙂 

Great post. I know for a fact there will still be times when I’m pissed at Devonte watching a game next season. But you’re right he should not have the handcuff feeling in his head when he plays. I trust Archie has a good grasp on how to properly manage him as their relationship evolves together. 

For as much as we all look for the good Devonte to consistently show up, we can at least take some comfort he played his best/most consistent basketball of his career so far at IU post suspension. 

Look I want the best for Devonte! The truth is he doesn’t learn from his mistakes. Yes he shows some brilliant moves even plays! On the other hand he also shows some of the dumbest moves and plays I have ever seen. At this stage of his life grow up start playing smart. He is no good to the team if he has such big swings in his play. He was great the last 5 or 6 games of the season! Then went away in the last game.  Where was he during the 13 game slide! He was one of the Hugh problems! This is nothing against his character it is about his IQ as a player! When do you learn when do you mature enough to know, just make the play it doesn’t need to be a highlight on ESPN! Just making the plays is what great team players do to make their team great ! 

I think part of DG's "problem" is that he IS trying to do what CAM wants him to do.  You could see it at times this year, he would load up to make a move or take a shot and quickly pull back and make a pass to the wing or top of the key with a sort of a frustraded look on his face.  In no way do i think CAM should give him the ball and tell him to go nuts, but if they can find a happy medium between their styles....watch out. 

I think it would be good for CAM in the long run too.  Loosen up the offense a bit but still keep it structured.

9 hours ago, Bob said:

Look I want the best for Devonte! The truth is he doesn’t learn from his mistakes. Yes he shows some brilliant moves even plays! On the other hand he also shows some of the dumbest moves and plays I have ever seen. At this stage of his life grow up start playing smart. He is no good to the team if he has such big swings in his play. He was great the last 5 or 6 games of the season! Then went away in the last game.  Where was he during the 13 game slide! He was one of the Hugh problems! This is nothing against his character it is about his IQ as a player! When do you learn when do you mature enough to know, just make the play it doesn’t need to be a highlight on ESPN! Just making the plays is what great team players do to make their team great ! 

I bought a KenPom subscription and got access to some more advanced stuff.

Devonte was actually more consistent than you think he was .... not only that ... he's actually ranked well nationally in scoring, passing, shooting, and defending

.250th in assist % , 100th at steals, 165th at shooting. He's an all around player.

The person you're describing isn't Devonte it describes someone else. I did some lengthy research but no need to bring others into it...

2 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

I think part of DG's "problem" is that he IS trying to do what CAM wants him to do.  You could see it at times this year, he would load up to make a move or take a shot and quickly pull back and make a pass to the wing or top of the key with a sort of a frustraded look on his face.  In no way do i think CAM should give him the ball and tell him to go nuts, but if they can find a happy medium between their styles....watch out. 

I think it would be good for CAM in the long run too.  Loosen up the offense a bit but still keep it structured.

You're spot on with that the power struggle. I bought kenpom for the hell of it just to see what they had and there's some pretty cool stuff on there. I'm a big fan of DG but I don't think he's capable of going completely nuts either.

I really like what you said about the medium between the two. I think 11-15 shots and plenty of wiggle room to let him play freely with his decisions. He's built mentally to handle it. He shot almost 48% from 3 vs Tier A squads and didn't face much a drop off in other categories either.

Archie gave him a little bit of a trial so who knows, we might get it

Devonte is probably our best returning player. There's no question he's our best returning offensive player. He's our best shooter, best playmaker, and in my opinion an above average defender (though not as good as Rob). He looked at home playing off the ball late in the season, while Rob ran point.

For a lack of a better term, Devonte "tries stuff". I can live with some turnovers while trying to make aggressive plays. I do wish he would lose that wild floater though, I swear he must have shot 20% on floaters this year.

1 hour ago, Shooter said:

Devonte is probably our best returning player. There's no question he's our best returning offensive player. He's our best shooter, best playmaker, and in my opinion an above average defender (though not as good as Rob). He looked at home playing off the ball late in the season, while Rob ran point.

For a lack of a better term, Devonte "tries stuff". I can live with some turnovers while trying to make aggressive plays. I do wish he would lose that wild floater though, I swear he must have shot 20% on floaters this year.

I’m with you on those floaters, Lord have Mercy, you could count on at least 1 of those a game. But otherwise I like his game and I’m excited to see how he responds next year. 

7 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I’m with you on those floaters, Lord have Mercy, you could count on at least 1 of those a game. But otherwise I like his game and I’m excited to see how he responds next year. 

Make that 3 of us. I swear they were never even close either. I was stunned to see he was close to 40% from 2's when I saw that.

3 hours ago, Shooter said:

In a very loose, stretched way, he reminds me of Yogi's development. Yogi was wildly out of control for his frosh and soph seasons, made some seriously "bone headed" plays (the leaving your feet in traffic thing after a wild drive with nowhere to go thing, etc.) and did not have a very consistent outside game early on,  but became our best offensive player, and eventually settled into a top flight point guard and future pro. I am not directly comparing Yogi and Devonte. But there are similarities. Devonte is very talented, he's growing into a very good offensive player and is already a very good defensive player, whiile struggling with consistency issues, decision-making being at the forefront. I think he's going to be very good next season.

Archived