Roster

As of right now we have 10 scholarship players so where do you want Archie to focus on for the rest of the class.

RP/Durham

Green/Franklin

Hunter/Anderson

Smith/Thompson

Davis/TJD

1) Hope we get Brunk

2) recruit a 6'5 or 6'6 swing man who can shoot

3) Need a true point guard to backup RP

I watched Butler quite a bit this season.  I think Brunk improved but as the season wore on, he lost his starting spot to Fowler who isn’t good at all.  On a bad Butler team.  I know we need size but why does it appear that so many are so excited (wrong word?) for IU to get Brunk?

I’m not trying to be argumentative.  I’m honestly curious as to what some of you see that I don’t.

Just now, thirdgenhoosier said:

I watched Butler quite a bit this season.  I think Brunk improved but as the season wore on, he lost his starting spot to Fowler who isn’t good at all.  On a bad Butler team.  I know we need size but why does it appear that so many are so excited (wrong word?) for IU to get Brunk?

I’m not trying to be argumentative.  I’m honestly curious as to what some of you see that I don’t.

He has a very good offensive game in the post and plays well with his back to the basket.  He also is a high energy guy and has some nasty in his game which is what this program needs.

5 minutes ago, Zeisloft and Roth said:

I think filling all 13 roster spots can be a negative for team chemistry if you have guys that are unhappy riding the pine. I am saying we have one more transfer. Add Brunk and a scorer (hopefully someone who can really shoot it). Then play next year with 11 scholarship players.

I would usually only have 12 scholarship players on the roster

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

As of right now we have 10 scholarship players so where do you want Archie to focus on for the rest of the class.

RP/Durham

Green/Franklin

Hunter/Anderson

Smith/Thompson

Davis/TJD

1) Hope we get Brunk

That's actually a more balanced roster than I expected.  Still need shooters and agree... a little more muscle in the paint.

Long term, we should not carry more than 11 schollies because Archie has such a tight bench.  I think using 12 next season is okay because we have some gaps that need to be addressed.  But going forward, having more than 11 when you only play 8-9 does not make sense.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Long term, we should not carry more than 11 schollies because Archie has such a tight bench.  I think using 12 next season is okay because we have some gaps that need to be addressed.  But going forward, having more than 11 when you only play 8-9 does not make sense.

If you have to short of a bench and have another year of injuries you are really limiting what you could do.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Having only 11 scholarship players scares me some. I agree with your line of thinking, but would apply that logic to arrive at 12 personally.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you have to short of a bench and have another year of injuries you are really limiting what you could do.

I did some research a while back and virtually no major programs carried 13.  Most had 11 or 12.  And many times the 12th guy was a preferred walk-on that was given a scholly because it was available.

I will take my chances with 11 guys being healthy enough to get us through the season versus having guys unhappy about PT.  The latter can destroy a team just as easily as the former.

Just now, 5fouls said:

I did some research a while back and virtually no major programs carried 13.  Most had 11 or 12.  And many times the 12th guy was a preferred walk-on that was given a scholly because it was available.

I will take my chances with 11 guys being healthy enough to get us through the season versus having guys unhappy about PT.  The latter can destroy a team just as easily as the former.

I would like Archie to start doing what UVA and UW has done well and that is red shirting a couple of guys a year.  This way you can use 12 or 13 scholarships but don't have to worry about trying to make everyone happy.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He has a very good offensive game in the post and plays well with his back to the basket.  He also is a high energy guy and has some nasty in his game which is what this program needs.

I very much appreciate the response.  I’d like to ask a follow up.  If all of this is true why are his stats so mediocre?  I see an effort guy who struggles to defend the post due to a lack of athleticism.  And he doesn’t rebound well for his size.  We already have that guy in DD, no?

Will DD start with Brunk as the back up with TJD at the 4?  Or will TJD start at the 5 with DD backing him up?  If it’s the latter would Brunk ever see the floor?

4 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I very much appreciate the response.  I’d like to ask a follow up.  If all of this is true why are his stats so mediocre?  I see an effort guy who struggles to defend the post due to a lack of athleticism.  And he doesn’t rebound well for his size.  We already have that guy in DD, no?

Will DD start with Brunk as the back up with TJD at the 4?  Or will TJD start at the 5 with DD backing him up?  If it’s the latter would Brunk ever see the floor?

those stats were in a short amount of game time so if you project them they are not that bad.  Also I would see him backing up DD and playing about 15-18 minutes a game.

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

RP/Durham

Green/Franklin

Hunter/Anderson

Smith/Thompson

Davis/TJD

1) Hope we get Brunk

I've got TJD penciled in at the 4 with Davis and Brunk getting the bulk of the minutes at the 5. Not sure how Smith finds his way into the starting 5 in this scenario - but I am perfectly ok with that.

My perfect offseason as of this moment would be the following.

1. Sign Trendon Watford to play the 4.

2. Transfor in Kira Lewis to play the two (he has to sit a year) but would be a perfect combo to help Rob in the back court...great defender and hopefully improve with his season off. Plus 2020 freshman class is a little weak to help right away for a couple years.

3. Bring in a Big...prefer a shot blocker/rebounder/defender but worst case Brunk it seems is likely. 

We need shooting at the 4....Smith needs to really improve or we need someone like Trendon to balance the floor when ball gets reversed. I’m optimistic Rob and Al continue to improve...especially shooting...Green will be Green...hopefully good shooting Green.

49 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I think as reported the coach didn't like him. As I pointed out He scored 20 and had 10 boards against Seton Hall kid. The kid can play

Lester!!! Mostly so I can have fun with his name. 

Trendon 

Brunk 

I don't disagree with only using 11 scholarships, but I don't think AM has that choice right now. We need a significant talent upgrade. 

We could still see another transfer. 

7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I think as reported the coach didn't like him. As I pointed out He scored 20 and had 10 boards against Seton Hall kid. The kid can play

True, plus I don’t think Brunk fit how they wanted to play. He and Fowler both averaged 18 mpg. Brunk averaged 7.6/3.6 and shot 61.7% from the floor. Was 1-3 from 3 for the year. 

Fowler averaged 5.5/3.7 and shot 45%. Was 15-47 from 3. So he was willing to attempt a lot more 3s, but didn’t make them at a higher %. Almost 1/3 of his attempts were from 3

15 minutes ago, BEKA said:

My main concern is Hunter's health. I REALLY want to see this kid play, but his availability is still a giant X factor/unknown variable. In the end, I just want the dude to get well. 

If the kid can handle playing through pain, he will play. If he doesn’t have the pain tolerance, then he won’t be able to. 

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Trendon 

Brunk 

I don't disagree with only using 11 scholarships, but I don't think AM has that choice right now. We need a significant talent upgrade. 

We could still see another transfer. 

Just admit your name is Lester and you hate your folks for giving you that name.  😜 LOL 😁

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Trendon 

Brunk 

I think Lester or Beverly + Trendon + Brunk would be a dream scenario. We would have talent and depth at every position. Think it would really set us up to stay consistent or even improve the following season as those guys develop.

Archived