Roster

15 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think Lester or Beverly + Trendon + Brunk would be a dream scenario. We would have talent and depth at every position. Think it would really set us up to stay consistent or even improve the following season as those guys develop.

Absolutely. TJD and TW would look awfully good as SO and JR with RP as a JR and SR those seasons. 

I'm thinking one more announcement coming as well. I know nothing but just feels that way. One other thought just for future. Big assumption but based on scholarship numbers....looks like Archie will have at least 4-6 scholarships available in the next 2 classes. Talk about being able to offer some immediate time!

Took a break from social media so I haven't been following things closely. 

What's up with Hunter? Is he fully recovered and expected to be 100%?

What are we looking at with Trayce? Is he a modern big? Meaning more of an athletic / mobile big that runs the floor well and isn't necessarily a heavy focal point in the offense or can we expect moderate usage rate and instant production?

13 minutes ago, JWoolsey said:

Took a break from social media so I haven't been following things closely. 

What's up with Hunter? Is he fully recovered and expected to be 100%?

What are we looking at with Trayce? Is he a modern big? Meaning more of an athletic / mobile big that runs the floor well and isn't necessarily a heavy focal point in the offense or can we expect moderate usage rate and instant production?

I’ve heard that’s hunter is/will be full go next year.

The kid that I think will take a big step up next year is Race. Third year in the program and IIRC, he was pretty dominant in practices before the concussion.

What I hope always to see going forward is two bigs on the floor at the same time. Between Deron, TJD, Race and hopefully Brunk, we should be able to do that. I never want to see us having undersized guys trying to match up with a Murphy, Ward, Haarms, Teskey, et al, again. Juwan did a credible job, but I can’t help but think that the toll of trying to guard guys taller and heavier wore him down 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

If the kid can handle playing through pain, he will play. If he doesn’t have the pain tolerance, then he won’t be able to. 

Don’t like the sound of this. Care to elaborate why he’d have to play through any pain? Hearing he’ll be full go for next season 

6 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Don’t like the sound of this. Care to elaborate why he’d have to play through any pain? Hearing he’ll be full go for next season 

That would be contrary to what I've heard.  Leg issue mostly resolved last I heard (on thinners) and anticipated GTG for the season.

2 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I very much appreciate the response.  I’d like to ask a follow up.  If all of this is true why are his stats so mediocre?  I see an effort guy who struggles to defend the post due to a lack of athleticism.  And he doesn’t rebound well for his size.  We already have that guy in DD, no?

Will DD start with Brunk as the back up with TJD at the 4?  Or will TJD start at the 5 with DD backing him up?  If it’s the latter would Brunk ever see the floor?

I only casually follow Butler but in recent years they haven't had any athletic bigs.  Fowler and Brunk were serviceable in the middle but I haven't noticed a decent power forward in a few years.  They have decent guards and now Tucker, the transfer from Duke but they have no athleticism down low.  They've always gotten by by playing smart and shooting well but they seem to have fallen off in that regard.  Hopefully Brunk signs and is more effective playing alongside a TJD or Race.

4 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I watched Butler quite a bit this season.  I think Brunk improved but as the season wore on, he lost his starting spot to Fowler who isn’t good at all.  On a bad Butler team.  I know we need size but why does it appear that so many are so excited (wrong word?) for IU to get Brunk?

I’m not trying to be argumentative.  I’m honestly curious as to what some of you see that I don’t.

Very fair point. I don't think Brunk is anything special. But, I am warming up to the idea of him coming here. He's big, and he's decently athletic for a kid his size. He clearly plays hard. 

This year, we were undersized and we couldn't shoot. We still may not be able to shoot, but at least with TJD + DD + Brunk in the rotation we won't be undersized.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

I only casually follow Butler but in recent years they haven't had any athletic bigs.  Fowler and Brunk were serviceable in the middle but I haven't noticed a decent power forward in a few years.  They have decent guards and now Tucker, the transfer from Duke but they have no athleticism down low.  They've always gotten by by playing smart and shooting well but they seem to have fallen off in that regard.  Hopefully Brunk signs and is more effective playing alongside a TJD or Race.

A college 5 doesn’t need to be very athletic to be effective.  Just look at Ethan Happ of Wisconsin.  The kid isn’t very athletic, but he’s extremely savy.  I’m not saying he’s going to be Ethan Happ, but he doesn’t have to be athletic to be effective.  Someone did a stat comparison between Brunk and Davis per 40 min, and the stats were very similar iirc.  He would give us another quality big and culture guy, from everything I’ve read.  I think it would be a good signing for all parties involved.

11 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Hello we need shooters 🤗

I've honestly been thinking of starting a thread that says, starter material only please.  Brunk, I have come to understand but we need shooters that are good enough to start.  No offense to our guys we love and appreciate but they just missed the tournament and the 2 best players are gone.  

Starter material only from here on out please. 

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

A college 5 doesn’t need to be very athletic to be effective.  Just look at Ethan Happ of Wisconsin.  The kid isn’t very athletic, but he’s extremely savy.  I’m not saying he’s going to be Ethan Happ, but he doesn’t have to be athletic to be effective.  Someone did a stat comparison between Brunk and Davis per 40 min, and the stats were very similar iirc.  He would give us another quality big and culture guy, from everything I’ve read.  I think it would be a good signing for all parties involved.

I'm only saying that Butler played one big, Brunk or Fowler, and four undersized guys.  That can work in the Horizon league but they struggled in the Big East. I think Brunks effectiveness was diminished by Butler's poorly constructed roster and he could do more at IU alongside TJD or Race.

We are probably not done with transfers so IU should definitely be attractive to some for playing time. Watford would be terrific but I just don’t get the feeling he’s coming. Hoping I’m wrong. We could really use him. 

Brunk for depth would be great. And we definitely need shooters. Beyond that, I hope we see Hunter on the floor next season. 

Looking forward to seeing how the roster plays out with these open scholarships now...

On 4/4/2019 at 6:13 PM, IUwins0708 said:

I’ve heard that’s hunter is/will be full go next year.

I think in the first 5 or 6 games next year we will know how big of an impact he was this year. If he's like a 12-14p 5r guy (like I think)... its conceivable to think we win 8 more games this year in the regular season. We would have been 25-7.. absolutely possible. 

Hopefully we get 2-3 years of healthy JH. 

Archived