Dakich on the Dan Patrick show....

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the early 90's, I took a great picture of Alan Henderson when IU played in Wisconsin.  I snail-mailed a print to Dakich, and asked if he would get Henderson to sign it.  I enclosed a stamped return envelope.  (Pre-internet days.  Sheesh.)

It arrived back as requested, accompanied by this also-signed note from Dan on his letterhead:  "This concludes the Dan Dakich autograph service."  🤣 🤣 🤣

I watched a clip of him talking about RMK and noticed that when he really got to spouting off he would look at the camera,like i hope people are buying this... it wasnt that long ago during a game he said people should leave RMK alone and let him live out the rest of his life...this guy is or tries to be a showman and just looks for people to stand around his soap box.. was not impressed.He has been average at best in anything he has done,player,coach,people say RMK needs to let go,Dak needs to do the same....Remember he is trying to sell a book.

If Dan thinks he’d be where he is today without Coach Knight, he’s crazy.  Knight put him on the map, gave him a big job, and mentored him for years.  You don’t have to pay back a debt for the rest of your life, but decency in public would be noble.   Even if Dan separated from his coaching mentor, he could still express respect and humility for the opportunity cost Knight sunk into him.  

Dan also has as big of a knack for revisionist history as anyone.  He was a big part of the screwups at IU in the 1990s and IU’s roster construction improved significantly after he left in 1997, when the 2002 team was built post-Dakich.  Meanwhile he was a 50% coach at Bowling Green and will do nothing but make excuses about his time there even though he was there ten years which is a long enough sample size to even out excuses. Then, he has a bizarre lack of not liking excuses from other coaches.  

I'm a little confused as to why Dakich continues to get a platform or discussion. He wasn't a legend, barely an average player....and because he couldn't relate or adapt to players took one of IU's best teams and stumbled as an interim coach. 

Only reason he gets any run is for one reason. He talks. He yammers. You'll notice the legends of IU or even the very good players don't say a word. Why? Because you don't talk about internal stuff. 

Speaking of Knight. Did anyone attend last night his event at Center Grove? I heard mixed. I heard very sharp on certain things, quick responses,etc....but I also heard there were a few let's call them moments where you could tell the memory just isn't there.....which I think is very normal but my buddy who went said it seemed beyond just normal memory loss. Curious if anyone on here could give us review.

1995 IU Coaching Offices

Knight - "Hey Danny.  Go get me a cup of coffee.  Don't look at me like that, you piss-ant.  When you're the head coach, you can have some schmuck get you coffee."

Dan (thinking to himself) - "Wow!  Coach Knight just said I would be head coach some day."

:coffee:

That’s right, 5Fouls.  If he were ever grooming anybody, there’s a big belief out there it would have been Pat Knight.  That’s far more logical. 

Knight should have retired or left in 1995.  Even he agrees with that. He didn’t like much of the administration and became frustrated. His relationships with his assistants deteriorated after he counted on them to identify good recruits.  There was too much frustration and anger.  How we all wish we could go back and time and fix it. That period arguably led to the following 20 years.  

Bob Knight is not only an enigma to us IU fans, but an even bigger one to fans of other institutions.  Any and everything connected to the General instantly draws interest.  Dakich is riding that wave to it's absolute maximum.  And he will continue to do it.

27 minutes ago, rico said:

Bob Knight is not only an enigma to us IU fans, but an even bigger one to fans of other institutions.  Any and everything connected to the General instantly draws interest.  Dakich is riding that wave to it's absolute maximum.  And he will continue to do it.

Anytime I travel and stay out of town i always pack an IU shirt everytime i get asked about Bob Knight or a chair throw reference.  Like it or not people outside of our state that Indiana University and Bob Knight are synonymous. 

10 hours ago, Madison22 said:

In the early 90's, I took a great picture of Alan Henderson when IU played in Wisconsin.  I snail-mailed a print to Dakich, and asked if he would get Henderson to sign it.  I enclosed a stamped return envelope.  (Pre-internet days.  Sheesh.)

It arrived back as requested, accompanied by this also-signed note from Dan on his letterhead:  "This concludes the Dan Dakich autograph service."  🤣 🤣 🤣

Surprised DD didn’t sign the Henderson picture as assistant coach ( head coach in waiting)

One thing that "bothers" me about Dan is that he never got another head coaching gig.  I realize that his tenure at Bowling Green was not stellar, but it wasn't that bad either.  I am sure it was good enough, given his pedigree, to land another another job.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

One thing that "bothers" me about Dan is that he never got another head coaching gig.  I realize that his tenure at Bowling Green was not stellar, but it wasn't that bad either.  I am sure it was good enough, given his pedigree, to land another another job.  

Why get back into coaching when you have such a good job with little stress.  Like Dickie V use to say he is undefeated since he left coaching.

I realize I’m going to be in the minority here but I really enjoy DD’s color commentary and find it fairly objective and informative. And after we lost to Minny on the road I listened to his show the next day and I honestly felt like this was just another guy who loved IU as much as I do and was pissed that we were playing the way we were. I’m sure there is some amount sour grapes involved but at the very least I don’t think you can deny that he has Cream and Crimson in his veins. You don’t grow up watching IU and playing there 4 years without it. He’s certainly not perfect and has his motives but deep down I believe he loves Indiana and want to see us return to greatness just like the rest of us 

1 minute ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I realize I’m going to be in the minority here but I really enjoy DD’s color commentary and find it fairly objective and informative. And after we lost to Minny on the road I listened to his show the next day and I honestly felt like this was just another guy who loved IU as much as I do and was pissed that we were playing the way we were. I’m sure there is some amount sour grapes involved but at the very least I don’t think you can deny that he has Cream and Crimson in his veins. You don’t grow up watching IU and playing there 4 years without it. He’s certainly not perfect and has his motives but deep down I believe he loves Indiana and want to see us return to greatness just like the rest of us 

That is my take as well.  Good post Zville.

40 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I really cant with work but I used to listen every day and called in many times and he has always been unbelievably nice and kind to me. I get why people feel the way they do but it is his job and once again here we are talking about him on a message board which proves he is doing his job well.

1 hour ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I’m in the same boat. He’s probably the only commentator I actually enjoy. 

As far as coaching, I believe he’s said the only way he’d go back is if he accidentally drops an f-bomb on air. He gets to prep for games, watch film, interact with coaches/players, and he never loses. 

And regardless of what you think about him, bringing kids out to shoot before the games was really cool. 

Archived