Taking the Long View

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Long Duk Dong said:

Indiana needed to pursue Donovan the way Alabama pursued Saban. They finally stopped messing around and did whatever it took to get the guy to get them back on top.

You have no proof that Donovan was ever interested in the first place.  Do you believe everything you read on a message board because that was the only place that really brought up the possibility of Donovan coming here.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

You have no proof that Donovan was ever interested in the first place.  Do you believe everything you read on a message board because that was the only place that really brought up the possibility of Donovan coming here.

Saban wasn't interest on Alabama either. He told them no like 5 times. They convinced him.

I've heard from other places as well that there was interest as well as a couple of college coaches. Do I have proof? Of course not. I don't have agent and back channel co.munication transcripts.

Compliments to the board:

First, this is an interesting topic.  Nice job OP.

Second, kudos to all for staying pretty darn internet-polite.  We all want the same thing.  Just variations on how or when that might happen.  On any other site, this would have been off the rails with personal attacks by now.

Most internet arguments look like this, anyway:

SdWt.gif

😀

11 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

Saban wasn't interest on Alabama either. He told them no like 5 times. They convinced him.

I've heard from other places as well that there was interest as well as a couple of college coaches. Do I have proof? Of course not. I don't have agent and back channel co.munication transcripts.

Saban also sucked at Miami.......

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

He's not John Groce.

It's probably more the tone of impatience than what you say.  I get it.  It's been too long since IU has been consistently at the top.  I think everyone would agree with that.  In truth, we don't disagree on much.  Barring something beyond the program's control, there's no reason not to expect continued improvement on the road back to playing like a college blue blood is expected to play.  I expect at a minimum, 22-23 wins and a trip to the big boy tournament next season.  I think that's reasonable.  I'll be disappointed if that doesn't happen, but I'll wait to see how the season unfolds before attributing success or failure to anyone.  It just almost seems like you're angry about how long it takes to get a program shifted into high gear.  Maybe I'm misreading, but I sense an angry and demanding tone in your expectation post.  If I'm off, so be it, but it seems like you're almost ready for the torches and pitchforks now.

Regardless of our expectations, I think this program continues to get better and I'm looking forward to that.

I agree that he’s not John Groce, right now.  What frustrates me is how the goalposts keep moving.  Before this year started, the goal was to make the tournament.  Then after we missed the tournament, it was “look at all these other coaches, it takes 3 years to get a program up and running.”  Now the premise of the article in the OP is that we have to wait until 2022 to see any results??  

I just don’t buy it.... We fired a coach that won two conference championships and went to three Sweet 16s in six years, and now people are getting offended when you suggest that the guy who replaced him should be able to get a 5 seed in the tournament after 4 years at the helm.  It’s ridiculous.

5 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

And maybe finding "the guy"...meaning another RMK, never happens.  It hasn't for UCLA.   

He said he would like to make the second weekend, not win a national championship, in the fourth season. That is hardly a RMK barometer. Crean did it in four years and started out with Kyle Tabor.  The LAST thing I want to see is Archie to fail as yet another rebuild would be horrible.  That being said, I agree with another comment that was made in regards to the goalposts being moved. It’s gone from maybe we could slip into the tourney his first year, he would quickly develop a no-nonsense tough defensive team, etc etc to....it takes three years to learn his defense and how in the world could someone make it to the sweet sixteen at IU after only 4 years.  Hopefully we will have a healthy season (unreal how snake bitten we were) and at least sneak into the tourney.  

31 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

He said he would like to make the second weekend, not win a national championship, in the fourth season. That is hardly a RMK barometer. Crean did it in four years and started out with Kyle Tabor.  The LAST thing I want to see is Archie to fail as yet another rebuild would be horrible.  That being said, I agree with another comment that was made in regards to the goalposts being moved. It’s gone from maybe we could slip into the tourney his first year, he would quickly develop a no-nonsense tough defensive team, etc etc to....it takes three years to learn his defense and how in the world could someone make it to the sweet sixteen at IU after only 4 years.  Hopefully we will have a healthy season (unreal how snake bitten we were) and at least sneak into the tourney.  

To be fair, he told his family and friends that it would take 3 years to fix the defense when he took the job. That's how bad the fundamentals and theory were.

I am fully on board with Archie and have no problem giving him 5 years to build a program. He's a fine coach.

My problems go higher up.

35 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

True, but I took the meaning/definition of "the guy" to mean bring IU back to national prominence of the kind that Knight brought...and sustain it.  That's what people, I believe, either openly or secretly want.  And that may not happen again.

53 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

To be fair, he told his family and friends that it would take 3 years to fix the defense when he took the job. That's how bad the fundamentals and theory were.

Where have you seen this?  I do not recall hearing that, it is kind of convenient that would start coming out after a really underwhelming second season.

We should not have to wait until 2022 to start seeing real results.  

11 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Will this fan base have the patience to wait until 2022 to see the results they are hoping for?

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/archie-miller-might-still-be-chasing-an-older-team-rooted-in-his-system-next-year/

Good article!  In answer to your question, I think not.  I think progress needs to be made next season.  I also think 20/21 needs to be a pretty good year.  

3 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

I am fully on board with Archie and have no problem giving him 5 years to build a program. He's a fine coach.

My problems go higher up.

We were #30 in defensive efficiency on Kenpom this year... My issue is primarily with the offense.  To me, it seems like we replaced a coach with an inherently flawed approach on one side of the ball with another coach with an inherently flawed approach on the other side of the ball.

The griping about the administration is a pretty speculative copout, imo.

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

True, but I took the meaning/definition of "the guy" to mean bring IU back to national prominence of the kind that Knight brought...and sustain it.  That's what people, I believe, either openly or secretly want.  And that may not happen again.

I’m a millennial IU fan.  When I say “the guy,” my expectations aren’t really anywhere close to Bob Knight.  Anyone that can get IU to the Final Four even once can be coach for life as far as I’m concerned.

RMK is one of a kind.  IU will never see what he accomplished again. That said, I think Archie can be successfull. He has the defensive approach on point. He just needs to loosen the chains on the offensive side(i.e. let DG do his thing.)

His half court offense is stagnant.  Too much standing around. Where was the cutting and movement? Weak side screens? Why doesn't anyone move to get the ball? I don't get it. 

I guess I still expect a constant motion offense. 

We were a consistent shooter away.  Without the reliable shooter, we relied too heavily on two players to make plays.  For the most part, when we shot well from three, everything looked really good.  It would be interesting to see our conference win 3pt % vs loss 3pt %.

With our 2 leading scorers gone, does the vacuum get filled with balance?  Always the optimist, DG has come along, a soph RP, if DD is able to give 25 mpg....  I am looking forward to next year, especially if CAM is able to identify grad transfer(s) that fit.

Rebuild or not. Archie shouldn't be missing the tourney 3 years in a row. Most of my lost patience has nothing to do with Archie but with our Admin as I've posted 100's of times on here. With that said... Archie will be on receiving end of my criticism if at the end of next year we aren't in tourney again. Tired of all the noise down there. Just do your jobs. 

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m a millennial IU fan.  When I say “the guy,” my expectations aren’t really anywhere close to Bob Knight.  Anyone that can get IU to the Final Four even once can be coach for life as far as I’m concerned.

Okay, I understand your point.  Thanks.  😁

What I don't like is the trend too get better at the end of the season and then start off the next season slow like we have done the last 2. It's like they completely lose everything they gained.  No reason either seasons shouldn't have won 20 games.  

I will be disappointed if we have another season like this year (which I currently expect).  Will I give up on him, not entirely but year 4 better be spectacular.  Blue bloods schools in today's day and age do not accept mediocrity for long and neither should we.

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Chris Beard is going to the Championship game in year 3.  Can we stop with all of this 4 to 5 years to be a tournament team nonsense please?

Can we stop using a single outlier and pretending it represents rational expectations?

18 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Chris Beard is going to the Championship game in year 3.  Can we stop with all of this 4 to 5 years to be a tournament team nonsense please?

We need to chill the frick out on Archie. He's the best coach we've had since Knight. 

We aren't Indiana 1993 anymore. We are more like Louisville between Crum and Pitino. And I think it even took like 4 years for Pitino to really get them going.

10 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

We need to chill the frick out on Archie. He's the best coach we've had since Knight. 

We aren't Indiana 1993 anymore. We are more like Louisville between Crum and Pitino. And I think it even took like 4 years for Pitino to really get them going.

I'm not sure what's in the water here, but I find myself agreeing with you a lot lately.  It's like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Archived