Proposed change to grad transfer rules

Hate it...if any athletes should have more freedom it should be kids who work hard in studies. They should be able to move on if they want. On one end we Pamper one and dones, and let them exist in such a way where they barely need to be students, and then when kids on the other end work hard in the class room we want to hold them back from having more control? Talk about a$$ backwards.

I'm not sure why this has to be so difficult. If a coach leaves players can transfer without having to sit. If a kid is taking at least a full course load (12 hours per semester) and let's set a gpa of 3.0 they can transfer 1x without sitting. If a player graduates and has eligibility they can transfer without sitting. The rest have to sit one year when transferring.

Do those 3-4 things and it's all over with. No more tweaking needed. Players can move on as long as they have the grades.  

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not sure why this has to be so difficult. If a coach leaves players can transfer without having to sit. If a kid is taking at least a full course load (12 hours per semester) and let's set a gpa of 3.0 they can transfer 1x without sitting. If a player graduates and has eligibility they can transfer without sitting. The rest have to sit one year when transferring.

Do those 3-4 things and it's all over with. No more tweaking needed. Players can move on as long as they have the grades.  

That won't work........makes WAAAAAAAY too much sense.  The NCAA needs something a lot more confusing.....

This proposed change is asinine. I agree that there is a bit of a problem in taking a kid with one year of basketball eligibility and starting him in an academic program that takes 2 years - the kid should be guaranteed a tuition free chance to finish that degree. I would think it usually happens that way, but it should be guaranteed if it isn't already. But if you make the basketball program give up 2 years of a scholarship, isn't there obvious move to just shunt kids into some easy, and likely worthless, one year grad program?

10 minutes ago, rico said:

That won't work........makes WAAAAAAAY too much sense.  The NCAA needs something a lot more confusing.....

Friend of the family works at NCAA in compliance department. Have to be careful what I say because he's an IU fan and I "think" he peruses this sight often. Over a couple of pops every once in awhile he'll let some things slip about the level of stupidity at HQ. The hard part he says they all know their rules are honestly dumb....but they always counter with the members/schools don't want certain rules changed even if they blame the NCAA in public....they say much different behind closed doors. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Friend of the family works at NCAA in compliance department. Have to be careful what I say because he's an IU fan and I "think" he peruses this sight often. Over a couple of pops every once in awhile he'll let some things slip about the level of stupidity at HQ. The hard part he says they all know their rules are honestly dumb....but they always counter with the members/schools don't want certain rules changed even if they blame the NCAA in public....they say much different behind closed doors. 

Yeah, it is painfully obvious that the best interests of the athletes are not the motivating factor behind rule changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived