Duke is investigating if Nike paid Zion’s mother

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think K will be in the Wooden category at most.  His fingerprints won’t be at the scene of the crime but he will have benefitted by looking the other way and playing dumb.  

It is sad enough that Duke has turned into a basketball factory which is more befitting a school with lesser standards. Then you have their influential alumni rationalizing the payoffs and integrity of a program that’s just a one and done factory without any pretense of academics being a factor.  

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

No doubt! It does seem odd though when I do about 2 minutes of searching I can find out pretty quickly that it was common knowledge that Zion's family was living in a $1M home this season in a subdivision called Colvard Farms in Durham. Owner of the home is a Duke grad. 

How can things be THIS obvious and nothing happens?!

10 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

How can things be THIS obvious and nothing happens?!

$$$$$  I'm assuming Zion made the NCAA a fortune and TV companies.  Im also assuming Zion and Duke made more money than Zion and NC st.  With that being said, if true and there is evidence the NCAA is obviously part of the problem.  How much does the NCAA Commissioner or Pres. make?

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

$$$$$  I'm assuming Zion made the NCAA a fortune and TV companies.  Im also assuming Zion and Duke made more money than Zion and NC st.  With that being said, if true and there is evidence the NCAA is obviously part of the problem.  How much does the NCAA Commissioner or Pres. make?

Exactly, on the ncaa, the FBI has to get to the bottom of this...actually I just really WANT them to. It stinks that people can do illegal things and not be held accountable and even worse when the organization that’s supposed to be holding them accountable does nothing.

Does anyone think that Nike doesn’t pay players etc considering the guy that got caught at Addidas worked at Nike doing the same thing. It isn’t like he just learned this at Addidas. System is corrupt but too much money to let the big schools go down with the investigation. 

I will say this not that we haven’t had something happen behind the scenes we don’t know about but maybe we should be thankful we have sucked for the past 20 years for the most part...otherwise we might have Addidas sending guys our way and we be in these stories.

15 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

So he names Duke, Oregon, UNLV and Arizona but no mention at all of Kentucky? How in the world are they the only big time school not mentioned whatsoever in these scandals so far??

Easy.  UK's dirty money does not come from the shoe companies.  They get enough from regular 'friends of the program' that they do not need anything from the shoes companies.  Nike has the best of both worlds.  High profile UK players are wearing their shoes, and it does not cost them a dime  

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

Zion and duke already have their own channel in Espn, why do they need their own thread here. This is already  being talked about in the FBI thread.

Did not know that the FBI was investigating this...... I think that this topic warranted its own thread, since this is a whole new story. 

On 4/7/2019 at 2:12 PM, IU Scott said:

Makes you wonder how Duke got Zion's commitment when no one thought he was even looking at them when he was about to make his decision.

Yeah the last minute switching makes me wonder if Swanigan .....I mean Williamson did get something to change his mind suddenly. Did I just think that out loud .Lol Whoops :)

I could write the report with my eyes closed.  

Zion’s mom, to avoid perjury due to documents that have surfaced, admits to making a poor decision and accepting “consulting” money. She swears, however, that Zion knew nothing about it and Coach K is beyond shocked that Nike and cash would somehow be commingled.

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

Zion’s mom, to avoid perjury due to documents that have surfaced, admits to making a poor decision and accepting “consulting” money. She swears, however, that Zion knew nothing about it and Coach K is beyond shocked that Nike and cash would somehow be commingled.

However isn’t the new rule for NCAA thatbif anythjng happens to your program as the head coach you’re still held accountable?

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Also if this IS going to come down to the NCAA nothing is going to happen. I know that. The ONLY way this actually happens is if the FBI makes it have to happen.

Archived