Next year’s schedule

On 5/19/2019 at 1:30 PM, hoosiertildeath said:

The following teams will not play in this year 's Gavitt games: Maryland , Michigan State , Iowa  , TurdU , Northwestern , Minnesota , Butler and Providence !! IU will play ?????????

Gives us more time to gear up for our game verses Duke!

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BoomBaby said:

Apparently, IU won't play in this year's Gavitt Games.  According to Jon Rothstein, here's the lineup: 

Villanova at Ohio State
Michigan State at Seton Hall
Creighton at Michigan
Purdue at Marquette
Providence at Northwestern
Penn State at Georgetown
Minnesota at Butler
DePaul at Iowa

Fine with me. Our pounding of Marquette last year did nothing so instead of risking a road loss....I'll take a W at home. Tourney committee showed us wins are more important. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Well. If no one has noticed. Coach Miller has upgraded next year's schedule.  Irrespective of what tournaments IU is not a part of. 

Its pretty clear the NCAA valued wins last year. I'd be fine with 12 cupcakes honestly given our roster 

1 minute ago, Bedford1432 said:

Its pretty clear the NCAA valued wins last year. I'd be fine with 12 cupcakes honestly given our roster 

While wins matter so does scheduling. There needs to be a balance. It doesnt matter if you have a tough schedule but beat no one just the same as it doesnt matter if you beat all cupcakes. Davis played schedules that were to tough, crean played schedules that were too easy, Miller is still TBD. We need quad 1 wins out of conference, they dont have to be top 10 teams but we need quad 1 ooc. Last year we talked a ton about our quad 1 wins but how many werent members of the big ten? Also quad 2 and 3 loses matter, that's what hurt us last year.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Fine with me. Our pounding of Marquette last year did nothing so instead of risking a road loss....I'll take a W at home. Tourney committee showed us wins are more important. 

Not sure this logic holds up... Our pounding of Marquette was a major factor in us being on the bubble at all.  It was the fact that we couldn’t scrounge up more than 16 wins outside of that that kept us out of the tournament.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Well. If no one has noticed. Coach Miller has upgraded next year's schedule.  Irrespective of what tournaments IU is not a part of. 

By chance do you have a link showing the games that have been scheduled which have upgraded next year’s schedule?

The only non-conference I see are Arkansas at home, ND (they should not be real good) in the Crossroad and an undetermined ACC opponent. It does not appear we will be in the Gavitt games. Has the rest of the non-conference been released?  I can’t find it. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Riverrat said:

We need quad 1 wins out of conference, they dont have to be top 10 teams but we need quad 1 ooc. Last year we talked a ton about our quad 1 wins but how many werent members of the big ten? Also quad 2 and 3 loses matter, that's what hurt us last year.

We were solid in the Q1 department last year.  6-9 overall, 2-2 non-con (wins vs Louisville and Marquette, losses @Duke and @Arkansas).  Meaning that 1/3 of our Q1 wins were non-con. 

You're dead on the mark about Q2 losses though.  Those were all the games that hurt: @Northwestern, @Rutgers, Nebraska, Iowa......

FWIW, we only had one Q3 loss last year, and that was Wichita State (so non-factor when it came to tournament selection). 

9 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not sure this logic holds up... Our pounding of Marquette was a major factor in us being on the bubble at all.  It was the fact that we couldn’t scrounge up more than 16 wins outside of that that kept us out of the tournament.

Quad 1/2 wins actually didn't mean as much as they thought. With a likely road game this year and no guarantee of win. I'll take the easy W win instead of loss.

10 hours ago, IU878176 said:

By chance do you have a link showing the games that have been scheduled which have upgraded next year’s schedule?

The only non-conference I see are Arkansas at home, ND (they should not be real good) in the Crossroad and an undetermined ACC opponent. It does not appear we will be in the Gavitt games. Has the rest of the non-conference been released?  I can’t find it. Thanks.

You probably won't get a link till later this summer.  However, one of our great members listed the strengthened schedule a few days back.  I forget the thread title. There was a good discussion related to the benefits of upgrading the schedule, vs just picking up wins. 

I was led astray on who would or would not play in on the 2019 Gavitt games ! P.S. Marquette returns top scorer Markus Howard , 25 points per game last season and 4 of their 6 scorers from last season! They add in 7'0" Utah Transfer , who is fifth year Senior , Jayce Johnson , who averaged 7 points and 7.5 Rebounds per game and made 55.2 % of his field goal attempts ! Decent matchup for pee yew ? Only time will tell !

3 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I was led astray on who would or would not play in on the 2019 Gavitt games ! P.S. Marquette returns top scorer Markus Howard , 25 points per game last season and 4 of their 6 scorers from last season! They add in 7'0" Utah Transfer , who is fifth year Senior , Jayce Johnson , who averaged 7 points and 7.5 Rebounds per game and made 55.2 % of his field goal attempts ! Decent matchup for pee yew ? Only time will tell !

With the Hauser brothers gone, it should be an easy match-up for Turdue.  Just chase/harass Howard the whole game and make someone else beat you.  I have a feeling Marquette is in for a tough year.

Their leading scorer and Four of Their Top Six Scorers are Back ? And they are adding a 7'0" Veteran Center from Utah and a 6 '4" guard transferring from Utah State who redshirted this past season ? I do not see  them struggling ! Don't underrate Marquette 's Head Coach either ! P.S. In my original post I failed to mention the 6'4" transferring Junior guard  Koby McEwen , from Utah State who sat out this past season per NCAA transferring rules ! Koby started ALL 30 games his Sophomore season at Utah State😁😃😃😀 ! ( 15.6 points per game as a Sophomore ) I think Marquette might even " upset " those smellermakers !

P.S , Again ! The game is AT Marquette !!!!!!!!!! Not at hackey - smackey arena !  P.S. Again. Just found out that 6'6" Forward Kyle King is leaving pee yew and is being replaced by another walk on  5' 11 " Jared Wulbrun who averaged 6.6 points per game at Cal Lutheran ?????? Also , 9 of the pee yews 10 Losses last season came away from West Lafayette ! Hmmm !!!

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well they still give us one of the better ACC teams even though we are predicted to finish low in the big ten

Would you rather play Boston College or Wake Forest?  I'm glad it's not Duke and UNC again, but am still glad for the opportunity to get a resume building win.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well the last few years FSU has been the best ACC team besides Duke and UNC

They bring back some depth but lose their leading player and scorer to NBA. Similar to us. Will be a good matchup and potentially very key game for resume.

Archived