Next year’s schedule

12 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

So far...

Connecticut

Arkansas

Notre Dame

Florida State

Portland State

That looks like a Purdue schedule...bunch of average-ish teams but we are expecting to be the same so we have a schedule loaded with bubble teams like us.

The fact that several of you have most of those games listed as a toss up and are not getting much push back would lead me to believe that many are thinking that this year is going to be another struggle to make the tournament.  Looking at other IU forums, I think that is consensus.  There is even less buzz about this program lately than there has been over the summer.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That looks like a Purdue schedule...bunch of average-ish teams but we are expecting to be the same so we have a schedule loaded with bubble teams like us.

The fact that several of you have most of those games listed as a toss up and are not getting much push back would lead me to believe that many are thinking that this year is going to be another struggle to make the tournament.  Looking at other IU forums, I think that is consensus.  There is even less buzz about this program lately than there has been over the summer.

Purdue football schedule?

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Purdue football schedule?

Basketball.  A bunch of decent teams but no games that really jump out at you.  When was the last time we did not have a Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC, UCLA or Louisville type of team on our schedule?

14 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

So far...

Connecticut

Arkansas

Notre Dame

Florida State

Portland State

Our marquee non conference games are currently Florida St (15) at home, Arkansas (60) at home, UConn (91) at a neutral site, Notre Dame (111) at a neutral site. Florida St has been a top 30 team the last three seasons, but if they fall outside that range after losing five seniors to graduation and their best player to the draft - and Bart Torvik has them at 35 in the preseason - then we likely won't have any non-conference games that fall into Quad 1.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Committee made it very clear last year quality wins didn't matter. Give me all the cupcakes in the world to go with our other 4  games against P5 conferences. 

And if we don’t manage to win more than 20 games with no Q1 OOC wins, we still won’t get in.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Committee made it very clear last year quality wins didn't matter. Give me all the cupcakes in the world to go with our other 4  games against P5 conferences. 

They did indeed.  I’m pretty much in line with your thinking. We have to take care of business against those 4 others and in the B1G. No losing to NW and Rutgers this year. 

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

They did indeed.  I’m pretty much in line with your thinking. We have to take care of business against those 4 others and in the B1G. No losing to NW and Rutgers this year. 

Of course watch it get flipped this year. Because of the backlash watch us get 21 wins but they cite not enough quad 1 or 2 wins. haha...

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Of course watch it get flipped this year. Because of the backlash watch us get 21 wins but they cite not enough quad 1 or 2 wins. haha...

Good point.  Consistency from what criteria is focused on from year to year is lacking. 

Go no worse than 2-2 in those four and be above 0.500 in B1G play and we should be golden.

Maybe we can even win a game in the BTT just to cement it.  :D

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No team got an at-large bid with 20 wins last season...The fact that we were even on the bubble with 17 wins was a testament to how much they valued Q1 wins.

I'm sorry I thought Louisville, Baylor, Oklahoma got in with 20 or less wins. 

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In those words you sum up exactly where IU basketball is in the year 2019. 

Princeton has always been a quality basketball program and saw firsthand at the RCA Dome when the beat the reining national  champions UCLA.  Also ask Georgetown in 89 how good Princeton was when they almost became the first 16 seed to win in the tournament.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Princeton has always been a quality basketball program and saw firsthand at the RCA Dome when the beat the reining national  champions UCLA.  Also ask Georgetown in 89 how good Princeton was when they almost became the first 16 seed to win in the tournament.

Yep. All very true. I was there for the UCLA win. Point remains. If we ever become worried about Princeton at home we've officially lost it. Not saying upsets don't happen. Talking about leading up to the game. 

5 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I could have sworn we were supposed to be starting a series with Arizona this year...or have we backed out of that one?

In 2017 that was the plan. My guess is between what's been going on at Arizona, the desire for maybe IU to keep some distance on Archie/Sean stuff...and honestly only so few open dates in our schedule we haven't been able to finish. As long as we have the Crossroads in Indy....it's going to make it very challenging to find an open weekend in December to schedule a game. Between Big 10 play, Crossroads, home for weekend before finals,etc....just aren't many options. 

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. All very true. I was there for the UCLA win. Point remains. If we ever become worried about Princeton at home we've officially lost it. Not saying upsets don't happen. Talking about leading up to the game. 

Never said we should be worried about the game but stated that they are not a cupcake like the ones we use to play.

33 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think there was a lot of fan and media speculation about that. I’m not sure there was ever any more to it than that. 

It seemed like more than speculation to me. I thought it was at Arizona next season, home the following year and a neutral site the year after that. Supposedly it was taking the place of the Louisville game.

Given our struggles of the last two years and current downward trajectory, it would make perfect sense to me why we'd have no interest in going to the desert anytime soon.

Archived