Next year’s schedule

8 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It seemed like more than speculation to me. I thought it was at Arizona next season, home the following year and a neutral site the year after that. Supposedly it was taking the place of the Louisville game.

Given our struggles of the last two years and current downward trajectory, it would make perfect sense to me why we'd have no interest in going to the desert anytime soon.

Maybe it was.  Given what they have going on, I’d rather not have anything to do with them right now. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm sorry I thought Louisville, Baylor, Oklahoma got in with 20 or less wins. 

Actually you’re right on that... I was just looking at ASU and St. John’s who got in as the 11 seeds ahead of us.  Looks like 20 is the magic number, like you said.  Regardless, it wasn’t our OOC schedule that kept us out last year.

Edit - All three of those teams had 20 wins last year.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

It seemed like more than speculation to me. I thought it was at Arizona next season, home the following year and a neutral site the year after that. Supposedly it was taking the place of the Louisville game.

Given our struggles of the last two years and current downward trajectory, it would make perfect sense to me why we'd have no interest in going to the desert anytime soon.

Maybe when we went to a 20 game regular season the conference it made it harder for us to schedule them.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

https://arizonasports.com/story/1184923/sean-miller-archie-brothers-arizona-indiana-basketball-schedule-series/

Sounds like they had discussed but never agreed to it.  As IUScott said it may have been axed once the Big10 announced the 20 game schedule(which happened a couple months after the discussion).

Go Hoosiers!!!

21 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

https://arizonasports.com/story/1184923/sean-miller-archie-brothers-arizona-indiana-basketball-schedule-series/

Sounds like they had discussed but never agreed to it.  As IUScott said it may have been axed once the Big10 announced the 20 game schedule(which happened a couple months after the discussion).

Go Hoosiers!!!

Or it got axed once wind of the FBI wiretapping Sean, became public.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Actually you’re right on that... I was just looking at ASU and St. John’s who got in as the 11 seeds ahead of us.  Looks like 20 is the magic number, like you said.  Regardless, it wasn’t our OOC schedule that kept us out last year.

Edit - All three of those teams had 20 wins last year.

I’m going from memory here, but I think both of those teams had fewer quad one wins than we did. Belmont for sure did. 

What did us in last year was losing 12 of 13 and finishing below 0.500 in B1G play. Plus we pooped the bed in the BTT tournament when one win would have probably gotten us in. 

Hoosiers will play Portland State at IU on November 9 , 2019 . PSU finished 16&16 last year ! They currently only list 7 players on their roster ? Their leading returning scorer is a 6'0" Junior guard with 15 ppg. Holland Woods , who wears # 5 !  HOOSIERS will also play Princeton , date TBA. The Tigers lose their top two scorers from last season ! They were 16&12  last year  and third in the Ivy League.  !!!!!!!! Go Hoosiers !

4 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Hoosiers will play Portland State at IU on November 9 , 2019 . PSU finished 16&16 last year ! They currently only list 7 players on their roster ? Their leading returning scorer is a 6'0" Junior guard with 15 ppg. Holland Woods , who wears # 5 !  HOOSIERS will also play Princeton , date TBA. The Tigers lose their top two scorers from last season ! They were 16&12  last year  and third in the Ivy League.  !!!!!!!! Go Hoosiers !

Thanks for sharing HTD!  

Just now, Indykev said:

Dan D. talking crap on twitter about this game. Its time IU bans DD from campus. All he does is talk crap about IU. Sorry espn you'll need to bring someone else.

He’s been going in on Archie for two days about both the Portland St. game and the Princeton game. Honestly, I’m pretty shocked at how disrespectful Dakich has been to Archie over the last two years. 

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

He’s been going in on Archie for two days about both the Portland St. game and the Princeton game. Honestly, I’m pretty shocked at how disrespectful Dakich has been to Archie over the last two years. 

Indiana has always played a few of these types of games.  I think Miller has actually upgraded the bottom of the o.o.c. schedule, it is the missing marquee games that I would complain about.

UConn, FSU, Arkansas...meh, meh, and meh.  I think part of that is not entirely his fault though, this program has been resting on its laurels for 2 decades and the mismanagement is starting to finally catch up.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Indiana has always played a few of these types of games.  I think Miller has actually upgraded the bottom of the o.o.c. schedule, it is the missing marquee games that I would complain about.

UConn, FSU, Arkansas...meh, meh, and meh.  I think part of that is not entirely his fault though, this program has been resting on its laurels for 2 decades and the mismanagement is starting to finally catch up.

It's tough with marquee games sometimes though, the ACC-BIG Challenge isn't really in IU's control, and even with that FSU has been marquee in the ACC the last 3-5 years. The UConn game is also one that's a showcase type of format, so again not sure what the control was on who IU got, plus UConn is a marquee program, just in a bit of a rebuild mode similar to IU. Arkansas is a quality OOC game, as is Princeton. 

No, there aren't any Kansas, UNC, UK or Duke games, but scheduling those games right now wouldn't really be the smart way to go anyways. 

I definitely agree on your last part. I personally think Archie can absolutely coach and I think he can run a program like IU successfully, what is becoming abundantly clear to me is that the IU administration is a train wreck, so not sure any coach can overcome that. 

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

I can honestly say I've listened to Dakich maybe 5-6x over the last 2 years. His bashing of IU (justified or not) finally wore me out. Problem is the Indy radio market and sports scene really is at an all time low so his numbers probably justify his retention. 

Some crucial games to follow in November and December: Ohio Univ. Vs. Villanova  , Towson vs.Florida , Missouri state vs.Xavier ,Central Arkansas vs. Georgetown and Duke , Central Connecticut  State vs. Arizona State , Rider vs. Arizona State , Vermont vs. Virginia , Southern vs. Nebraska , E.. Tenn. State vs. Kansas , Wofford vs. Butler , Eastern Maryland Shore vs. Stanford  , William & Mary vs. Stanford , U.T. Martin  vs. Wichita state , No. Colorado vs. West Virginia  , Gardner Webb  vs. Wichita state  , Elon vs. North Carolina , Fairfield vs.Marquette , Penn vs. Providence , Long Beach State vs. Arizona , Jacksonville State vs Purdue , Chicago State vs Purdue , Abilene Christian vs.UNLV , Texas State vs. UNLV 

9 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We are not really a position to be playing Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc right now. We will be fighting to  make the tourney as it is. Beccome a top 15 program again and sure line them all up. 

49 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

We are not really a position to be playing Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc right now. We will be fighting to  make the tourney as it is. Beccome a top 15 program again and sure line them all up. 

Let's be honest, we were not in much of a position to play them through much of the past 20 years but we still managed to have those games on the schedule because the IU name was valued by TV execs who were looking to put eyeballs on a game.  We have fallen completely off the map because we have become a really average program that people outside of the fanbase do not want to watch.

And yes, this is a dumbed down schedule at the top for a mediocre (expected) team and we are still looking at this schedule like we are going to struggle against it (which, IMO, is the realistic outlook).

I fully expect us to struggle next year.  I think it will be a good coaching job by Miller to just make the tournament...that being said, in year 3, I am still going to be hyper-critical if he misses the tournament for the third year in a row. 

21 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Let's be honest, we were not in much of a position to play them through much of the past 20 years but we still managed to have those games on the schedule because the IU name was valued by TV execs who were looking to put eyeballs on a game.  We have fallen completely off the map because we have become a really average program that people outside of the fanbase do not want to watch.

And yes, this is a dumbed down schedule at the top for a mediocre (expected) team and we are still looking at this schedule like we are going to struggle against it (which, IMO, is the realistic outlook).

I fully expect us to struggle next year.  I think it will be a good coaching job by Miller to just make the tournament...that being said, in year 3, I am still going to be hyper-critical if he misses the tournament for the third year in a row. 

This past year we played Duke, UL at Arkansas, Marquette and Butler so that is a pretty good schedule for a team that have fallen off the map.  We still play as many national Television games as anyone so there is still a market out there.  Even during the RMK years we had 4 cupcake game sin the Hoosier and Indiana classics and we only had 10 non conference games back then.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This past year we played Duke, UL at Arkansas, Marquette and Butler so that is a pretty good schedule for a team that have fallen off the map.  We still play as many national Television games as anyone so there is still a market out there.  Even during the RMK years we had 4 cupcake game sin the Hoosier and Indiana classics and we only had 10 non conference games back then.

I am not complaining about the bottom of the schedule, I am saying the top of the schedule is boring as heck.  UConn has fallen completely off the map since Calhoun left (save the miracle run by Ollie), FSU is basically the Iowa of the ACC-good from time to time but meh, so much meh, and we are playing a really mediocre Arkansas for the third time in 2 years.  I attended a preview of that game in the NIT this year.  It was a really sloppy game.

I do not care about Princeton, or Portland State, or NW Polytechnic...we always play some fluff.  I am saying that we have really fallen off when we trade Kentucky for Arkansas, Duke and UNC for FSU, and Louisville or Kansas for UConn.  Feel free to disagree but for me it just adds to the disappointment.

If you are not an Indiana or Arkansas fan, is that the type of game you want to watch?  If you are watching the BIG/ACC challenge, is IU v FSU a game you want to watch?  UConn and IU?  I say not really. 

It is getting to be the middle of the summer and my pessimism is maybe taking over but I do not see a whole lot to be excited about heading into next year.  We look to be riding the struggle bus again and the schedule does not even seem to have any high points.  Meh...meh is what the year looks like right now about 4 months out from its start.

45 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I totally agree. We really had no business playing Duke the last 10 years but this year really looks to be rough so for sure this year we should not. Like you said if Archie makes the tourney he will have done on heck of a coaching job. 

38 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Per a 2017 report, IU has the second largest living alumni base at 650,000. Only Penn State at 673,000 has more. That’s a lot of potential eyeballs for the TV execs to consider. Given that our reputation is as “basketball school ,” we will continue to be featured on national television. 

I believe that there are still quite a large number of people who watch IU because they either hate us because of RMK, or would like to see us become successful again and restore our position as a power in college basketball 

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

I am not complaining about the bottom of the schedule, I am saying the top of the schedule is boring as heck.  UConn has fallen completely off the map since Calhoun left (save the miracle run by Ollie), FSU is basically the Iowa of the ACC-good from time to time but meh, so much meh, and we are playing a really mediocre Arkansas for the third time in 2 years.  I attended a preview of that game in the NIT this year.  It was a really sloppy game.

I do not care about Princeton, or Portland State, or NW Polytechnic...we always play some fluff.  I am saying that we have really fallen off when we trade Kentucky for Arkansas, Duke and UNC for FSU, and Louisville or Kansas for UConn.  Feel free to disagree but for me it just adds to the disappointment.

If you are not an Indiana or Arkansas fan, is that the type of game you want to watch?  If you are watching the BIG/ACC challenge, is IU v FSU a game you want to watch?  UConn and IU?  I say not really. 

It is getting to be the middle of the summer and my pessimism is maybe taking over but I do not see a whole lot to be excited about heading into next year.  We look to be riding the struggle bus again and the schedule does not even seem to have any high points.  Meh...meh is what the year looks like right now about 4 months out from its start.

FSU has been one of the top 4 teams in the ACC the last 5 or so years and yes I will want to watch every game just like I did the Hoosier and Indiana classics.  I remember IU playing teams like Miami of Ohio which beat us once as well as teams like ISU and Evansville while RMK was here.  I remember games against Iowa St and Kansas St as well as St. Johns and Cincinnati.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1986-schedule.html

Just looked at one years schedule and I picked 85-86   We played UK, UL and Notre Dame and besides those teams all the other teams are like the ones mentioned that seems to be a boring schedule.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1987-schedule.html

his is he 86-87 season which we know is our national championship season and tell me where all the great teams are on this schedule.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1985-schedule.html

84-8 season and yet another year of playing 3 good teams and the rest was just average teams.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

FSU has been one of the top 4 teams in the ACC the last 5 or so years and yes I will want to watch every game just like I did the Hoosier and Indiana classics.  I remember IU playing teams like Miami of Ohio which beat us once as well as teams like ISU and Evansville while RMK was here.  I remember games against Iowa St and Kansas St as well as St. Johns and Cincinnati.

You are an IU fan.  I am saying if you are just a fan of college basketball in general, those games do not move the dial.

As to RMK's schedule, I believe you are leaving off the other teams we played in those same years (and I don't know why you keep bringing up the low end games like the Hoosier Classic, I already said I don't give a crap about those games.)  The year we played Cincinnati and St. John's, we also played #3 Kansas, #7 Florida State, Kentucky, Notre Dame, and Colorado.  Some of those being bigger games than others, but as far as I can remember, we always had what I would consider a marquee game against at least one of the top programs in college basketball in the o.o.c.

As far as large alumni bases go, I would wager that interest in IU has wavered among everyone, alumni included.  Expectations are pretty low this year as well, that is why the IU message boards have been pretty slow this summer.  People figure we are going to be mediocre and they are approaching the season with that same level of enthusiasm.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1986-schedule.html

Just looked at one years schedule and I picked 85-86   We played UK, UL and Notre Dame and besides those teams all the other teams are like the ones mentioned that seems to be a boring schedule.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1987-schedule.html

his is he 86-87 season which we know is our national championship season and tell me where all the great teams are on this schedule.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/1985-schedule.html

84-8 season and yet another year of playing 3 good teams and the rest was just average teams.

All due respect, thank you for posting those schedules and making my point for me.

Archived