Looking ahead to 2019-2020

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

As long as we're talking about Purdue. Which part should we credit Painter. 3 straight good seasons or the previous 4 where he missed tourney twice and got bounced in 1st round twice? 15+ years in. 

Only one of those first round losses was an upset. Believe it’s the only time he’s ever been upset in the tournament. I think you can look at those 4 years as outliers relative to the rest of his tenure at Purdue. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

PG- I’ll go with Eastern. Better rebounder, better defender, and I think he will have a bigger role and score a lot for Purdue next year. I like Phinisee and think he’ll be really good but I like Eastern more in terms of what he can bring to the table. 

SG- Green over Sasha. I like Sasha and think he’ll be really good but will give the nod to Green for sure. 

SF- I’m going to leave that one alone. Newman is a freshman and we have no idea what to expect from Hunter. 

PF- This is an interesting one. Both are athletic but Wheeler is by far the better shooter. TJD is highly ranked obviously but how big of an impact will he have from Day 1? I don’t know if there’s a clear winner  here. For reference, Swanigan averaged 10 ppg as a freshman. I’m guessing TJD can get that too but I bet Wheeler can as well with an expanded role. 

C- Haarms over Davis. I like Davis but he’s been injury prone and hasn’t quite put it all together yet. I like his offensive game better than Haarms but Haarms is night and day better on defense. I think Haarms is a better shooter but Davis has the better post game. 

So I’ll take Purdue at PG and C, IU has the advantage at SG, and I think SF and PF are too close to call. 

I’ll take Phinisee, Green, TJD, and Haarms. I agree that the SF position. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Only one of those first round losses was an upset. Believe it’s the only time he’s ever been upset in the tournament. I think you can look at those 4 years as outliers relative to the rest of his tenure at Purdue. 

I will eat crow. I predicted (during the season) they'd bow out in the first round. This was one of if not Painter's best coaching job. He deserves a lot of credit for getting them as far as he did. They were basically a one man team.

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

I will eat crow. I predicted (during the season) they'd bow out in the first round. This was one of if not Painter's best coaching job. He deserves a lot of credit for getting them as far as he did. They were basically a one man team.

Easily one of the best. Never fun eating crow but I’ve done it plenty too. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

5 of 16 years he's advanced past the first weekend. How do you define outliers? 30% of the time he's made the 2nd weekend. Not sure how to define successful but I know that isn't it. 

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So if it’s not 30%, what is it?

You tell us? I already said making the second weekend 5/16 years isn't successful. Add that you he doesn't have a F4 or Title to anchor his legacy. Painter is what he is. Nice guy and an occasional run in the program every once in awhile. Nothing more or less. Nothing wrong with that. Purdue has made it very clear that's ok.

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am quite positive that if I went over to GBI and wanted to discuss IU , I would be welcomed with open arms.

DWS

Being serious, that's one key reason I come back to this board. It's not just an IU echo chamber (positive or negative). 

It's also more reflective of how you'd handle real life. You're not going to leave an otherwise civil conversation by kicking someone in the forehead, flipping a double-bird and running away just because you found out they were a Purdue fan. Nothing you say is going to change their allegiance, and vice versa, and that shouldn't be the objective. But there might be something you can each learn from each other.

28 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

By the way , how does how Indiana does have anything to do with a discussion about another school anyway . And , those of you who bring up Indiana never mention Indiana 's youth And all of the damn injuries ?????

We have discussed youth and injuries repeatedly on this board in near every thread.  Last year is done, next year is coming.  

34 minutes ago, rico said:

We have discussed youth and injuries repeatedly on this board in near every thread.  Last year is done, next year is coming.  

One point on that, let's say we are healthy this coming season.  Those of us who believe injuries were a huge factor for last season's letdown will really see that as fact should we get to 20+ wins sans Romeo and Juwan. 

13 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

One point on that, let's say we are healthy this coming season.  Those of us who believe injuries were a huge factor for last season's letdown will really see that as fact should we get to 20+ wins sans Romeo and Juwan. 

I can only say this, we have lost our two leading scorers in the past only to improve the following year.  If Jerome is healthy, TJD is as good as his projection, and De'Ron is in shape...the sky very well might be the limit.

36 minutes ago, rico said:

I can only say this, we have lost our two leading scorers in the past only to improve the following year.  If Jerome is healthy, TJD is as good as his projection, and De'Ron is in shape...the sky very well might be the limit.

Yep.  Everyone thought PU and MSU would be a lot worse this season.  They weren't.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yep.  Everyone thought PU and MSU would be a lot worse this season.  They weren't.

IU lost Wittman and Kitchel only to make an EE appearance the following year.  IU also lost Garrett, Smart, and Calloway and drastically improved the following year.

http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/topic/3728-big-ten-predictions/&tab=comments#comment-87426

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I predicted MSU to win the conference and I pretty sure most did do I don't know where you get that people thought MSU was going to be worse.

You actually picked Michigan to win the conference in the Big 10 Predictions thread

Purdue should be decent, not great, next year because they have a good culture going and good chemistry. 

But, if you do a talent comparison for next year, no question IU is considerably better.  But talent doesn’t mean squat if the chemistry and competitiveness isn’t there.  When the fans want it more than the players do, that’s a problem.  

Purdue fans are feeling their oats right now, but let’s be honest they aren’t terribly good in the self awareness department.  Whereas the IU fans gave Painter and Purdue credit, you don’t see that from Purdue people.  When Purdue has been good under Painter, IU has been self inflicting incompetence.  Purdue has taken advantage of that.  But it’s not like Purdue has been beating IU when it’s not inflicting problems on itself.  

If Archie’s program takes hold and you have players that match his competitive level, then the tables can flip in a hurry.  Will it happen next year?  Let’s say I’d have to see it to believe it.  

54 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Purdue should be decent, not great, next year because they have a good culture going and good chemistry. 

But, if you do a talent comparison for next year, no question IU is considerably better.  But talent doesn’t mean squat if the chemistry and competitiveness isn’t there.  When the fans want it more than the players do, that’s a problem.  

Purdue fans are feeling their oats right now, but let’s be honest they aren’t terribly good in the self awareness department.  Whereas the IU fans gave Painter and Purdue credit, you don’t see that from Purdue people.  When Purdue has been good under Painter, IU has been self inflicting incompetence.  Purdue has taken advantage of that.  But it’s not like Purdue has been beating IU when it’s not inflicting problems on itself.  

If Archie’s program takes hold and you have players that match his competitive level, then the tables can flip in a hurry.  Will it happen next year?  Let’s say I’d have to see it to believe it.  

I mean historically, Purdue has usually held its own against IU. There have been stretches where each side went on a run but it’s usually not lopsided one way or the other for long periods of time. 

Which years did Purdue play IU when IU wasn’t inflicting problems on themselves? 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I predicted MSU to win the conference and I pretty sure most did do I don't know where you get that people thought MSU was going to be worse.

The were preseason #2 last season and lost their 2 best players with no big time recruits coming.  I think we all knew they'd be good but not many saw them as a FF team.

Archived