Looking ahead to 2019-2020

34 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean historically, Purdue has usually held its own against IU. There have been stretches where each side went on a run but it’s usually not lopsided one way or the other for long periods of time. 

Which years did Purdue play IU when IU wasn’t inflicting problems on themselves? 

Well, Purdue holding it's own against IU has not translated into historical tournament success.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean historically, Purdue has usually held its own against IU. There have been stretches where each side went on a run but it’s usually not lopsided one way or the other for long periods of time. 

Which years did Purdue play IU when IU wasn’t inflicting problems on themselves? 

Purdue racked up an edge in wins before WWII began back when 22-18 was a viable score.  IU has been more successful in the modern era.  

If IU gets its program on the right track in terms of just even having a team that gives a crap, the overconfidence of the Purdue fan base may collapse on itself.   It won’t matter what Purdue does in building their team when IU gets kids who care and play hard, which you didn’t see for the most part last season.  IU will always have the state brand name, the state map at center court, the better tradition, the considerably bigger fan base, and the cooler college atmosphere.  

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

The were preseason #2 last season and lost their 2 best players with no big time recruits coming.  I think we all knew they'd be good but not many saw them as a FF team.

I don’t know that I would have picked them as a Final Four team, but I thought they’d be better this year and the best in the Big Ten. Yes, they lost Bridges and Jackson, but they returned the junior trio of Winston, Langford and Ward. Those are three guys that were highly ranked 4*’s that were two year starters coming into their junior year. 

Once Langford got hurt I thought they’d drop back though. The team I thought that wasn’t going to be as good was Michigan. I thought losing Wagner would hurt, but I addmitely knew nothing about the Ignas freshmen kid. 

This was touched upon in another thread but I looked it up and Marquette has no top 100 recruits coming in.  But still top 5 in my book but I think the Big East will be a little tougher next season.  If the Warriors have a deep tourney run will Wojo move on?

2 hours ago, rico said:

This was touched upon in another thread but I looked it up and Marquette has no top 100 recruits coming in.  But still top 5 in my book but I think the Big East will be a little tougher next season.  If the Warriors have a deep tourney run will Wojo move on?

I follow Marquette yearly, as I have family who are alumns. I routinely call them “Mar-quit” because they always end up laying down. I wouldn’t bet on them to make a deep run. 

5 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Purdue is #17 in all-time wins with 1,777 ! But have never won the NCAA Tournament ! I'm loving it !!! Indiana is 11th. with 1,817 and 5 NCAA Championships !! And , the Hoosiers have been playing college hoops FOUR Fewer seasons than pee yew ! Muck pee yew !!!

Isn’t it true that IU’s first two championships occurred when the NIT was the better tournament? Thought the NCAA wasn’t better until the 60’s or 70’s. 

4 hours ago, rico said:

If I were him I sure would...not a ton to “sell” to recruits to come to Marquette.

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Isn’t it true that IU’s first two championships occurred when the NIT was the better tournament? Thought the NCAA wasn’t better until the 60’s or 70’s. 

I might be wrong but I am pretty sure Marquette turned down an invite to the NCAA to take the invite to the NIT and I would say that might have been 1970.

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Ahh that makes sense. I wonder when it truly switched. 

There was also a time when a team could play in both....not sure of the years.  But I am pretty sure Purdue won the Big Ten in 1940 and went to the NIT....IU got offered a NCAA bid.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

There was also a time when a team could play in both....not sure of the years.  But I am pretty sure Purdue won the Big Ten in 1940 and went to the NIT....IU got offered a NCAA bid.  

CCNY won both in 1950

57 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Alabama football would claim TWO titles for that! This is an interesting topic regarding post season tournaments.  Did Purdue win any NIT titles when that tourney was considered superior or comparable?

No, they've been runner up twice (once to IU...1979). Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Had they ever won one, I'm sure it would have been bandied about like the 1932 Helms championship they're always prattling on about.

Archived