Looking ahead to 2019-2020

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Alabama football would claim TWO titles for that! This is an interesting topic regarding post season tournaments.  Did Purdue win any NIT titles when that tourney was considered superior or comparable?

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, they've been runner up twice (once to IU...1979). Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Had they ever won one, I'm sure it would have been bandied about like the 1932 Helms championship they're always prattling on about.

18 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I remember reading somewhere the 1979 tournament with the ISU run made march madness.  So probably around that time frame. 

Nope.  The NCAA had solidified itself by '79.  ISU, however wouldn't have made the tournament unless they won their conference tournament that year.  I would say '73 is when the NCAA gained dominance.  

7 minutes ago, rico said:

You are correct. Geez, how did I miss that one? That was my era. I guess I was busy watching David Thompson and Bill Walton.

So they were a bride once.

I'm surprised there's not a neon sign leading into West Lafayette that says "1974 NIT Champs!"

My bad. I do kinda remember that. Wasn't the best Purdue kid George somebody?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

You are correct. Geez, how did I miss that one? That was my era. I guess I was busy watching David Thompson and Bill Walton.

So they were a bride once.

I'm surprised there's not a neon sign leading into West Lafayette that says "1974 NIT Champs!"

My bad. I do kinda remember that. Wasn't the best Purdue kid George somebody?

Purdue wouldn't have even been there....IU turned down the NIT bid.

I do believe the star was Garrett......Parkinson had to be on that team.

21 hours ago, rico said:

I might be wrong but I am pretty sure Marquette turned down an invite to the NCAA to take the invite to the NIT and I would say that might have been 1970.

Marquette was ranked 8th but turned down the NCAA, and went to the NIT,  because McGuire was mad where the NCAA had slotted his team. After that year the unofficially named “McGuire rule” was put into effect which required teams invited to go to the NCAA to play in the NCAA. 

11 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Marquette was ranked 8th but turned down the NCAA, and went to the NIT,  because McGuire was mad where the NCAA had slotted his team. After that year the unofficially named “McGuire rule” was put into effect which required teams invited to go the the NCAA to play in the NCAA. 

I knew about Marquette, but the "McGuire rule" is a new one to me as I have never heard it referred to it as that.  I think it was '71 where if you were invited to go to the NCAA, you either had to go or you stayed home.  You were not allowed to play in another post-season tournament(NIT).  

And TY for refreshing my memory and I learned a new term.

11 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Marquette was ranked 8th but turned down the NCAA, and went to the NIT,  because McGuire was mad where the NCAA had slotted his team. After that year the unofficially named “McGuire rule” was put into effect which required teams invited to go the the NCAA to play in the NCAA. 

Good info, I didn’t know that backstory as I was born but too young to have followed sports.  Late 1975 was probably my first memory, and by 1976 I was off to the races where I had a reasonable understanding.  Not a bad time to start loving IU.

36 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good info, I didn’t know that backstory as I was born but too young to have followed sports.  Late 1975 was probably my first memory, and by 1976 I was off to the races where I had a reasonable understanding.  Not a bad time to start loving IU.

Sometimes a simple search can give you a wealth of information....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Invitation_Tournament

That leads to this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Commissioners_Invitational_Tournament

Maybe pump the breaks on the Marquette love. In an interesting move, Joey Hauser is transferring. A little odd since he was their 3rd leading scorer as a freshmen and his brother, Sam, was their 2nd leading scorer. I haven't heard that Sam has declared for the draft, so definitely interesting that Joey would transfer for his brother's senior year. 

Edit: My bad, I posted this before checking the transfer portal thread, looks like Sam is transferring as well. Doesn't really make it less odd, just different odd. 

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Maybe pump the breaks on the Marquette love. In an interesting move, Joey Hauser is transferring. A little odd since he was their 3rd leading scorer as a freshmen and his brother, Sam, was their 2nd leading scorer. I haven't heard that Sam has declared for the draft, so definitely interesting that Joey would transfer for his brother's senior year. 

Edit: My bad, I posted this before checking the transfer portal thread, looks like Sam is transferring as well. Doesn't really make it less odd, just different odd. 

Nice to know we weren’t the only train wreck by the end of the year last year. Knew something was up with that team.

Just now, dgambill said:

Nice to know we weren’t the only train wreck by the end of the year last year. Knew something was up with that team.

Yeah, I would guess that the timing of this announcement means the Hauser brothers weren't as excited about Markus Howard's return as the rest of the Marquette fan base was. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I would guess that the timing of this announcement means the Hauser brothers weren't as excited about Markus Howard's return as the rest of the Marquette fan base was. 

Or it could be that after the Ja Morant facial one of the Hauser brothers had to go into the witness protection program so they both went into hiding!

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t know if it’s reliable but I saw on twitter that they like Virginia and Wisconsin.  With the Bennetts and Hausers ties to the same area, it might make sense.   

I saw it was MSU or Virginia. Virginia makes a ton of sense. Sam can slide into the De'Andre Hunter spot next season, while Joey sits as a transfer, and Joey can slide into that spot the following year when his brother has moved on. 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

“I was miserable at Marquette,” Froling said via email Monday afternoon. “I guess now it’s clear that there’s a reason people leave that place.”

Whoa...that's a different look for Wojo's program.  Pump the brakes, indeed.  Wojo better hope he can do the same magic trick Painter did last season, as it looks like it's Marcus Howard and a bunch of nobodies.  Losing the Hauser brothers is huge.

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

“I was miserable at Marquette,” Froling said via email Monday afternoon. “I guess now it’s clear that there’s a reason people leave that place.”

Whoa...that's a different look for Wojo's program.  Pump the brakes, indeed.  Wojo better hope he can do the same magic trick Painter did last season, as it looks like it's Marcus Howard and a bunch of nobodies.  Losing the Hauser brothers is huge.

I would say the Warriors went from top 5 to receiving votes.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:38 AM, FKIM01 said:

That's a scoring average of 71.4. With any defensive improvement at all, I feel pretty good about IU's prospects for a nice step forward.

...and while it's nearly a complete unknown, I have a feeling you are undervaluing Hunter's contribution, assuming he's all the way back from his condition.  Then again, there's always the risk that he's a zero, but if he's GTG, I have high expectations.

That was just a very rough, very conservative, broad outlook that's very doable. It definitely won't look anything like that but expectation wise it's very doable and has room for BIG improvements from multiple players. Smith gave us no progression and could make a moderate jump, Damezi added nothing at all and could give us 5-6 points a game and potentially a deep threat in tight games late, Rob's efficiency has room for crazy jumps, Al will probably only make a small jump but he's the type of guy where it's almost a lock to happen. As far as Hunter goes, I was aware of just how low I rated them there. There's so many reasons why I've been so bullish lately 🙂 

On 4/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, BGleas said:

I can't believe I'm going to be the negative one. I like Devonte Green, was a little disappointed he didn't turn the corner earlier this year, but I was a supporter of his, especially earlier in his career. With that said, I think a team that is led in scoring by Green at 12-13ppg is going to be a pretty mediocre team. I see that team at best being a bubble team, scraping to get into the tournament. 

That projection was basically just a very safe / conservative trial at figuring out how to 'equal' last year and make it look as realistic as possible with the data thus far. We were mediocre so that's why that list looks mediocre 🙂 

BTW, you're exactly right with those comments. We'll be much, much better than that I'm sure.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

I think you can delete your own now.

Thanks for letting me know. 

The only one I'm worried about is Trayce...I have no idea what to expect but unfortunately he has to play a bigger role than I'd like. Obviously Bunk is another safe guard. What's our scholarship situation like now if no transfers and DG comes back?

1 minute ago, JWoolsey said:

Thanks for letting me know. 

The only one I'm worried about is Trayce...I have no idea what to expect but unfortunately he has to play a bigger role than I'd like. Obviously Bunk is another safe guard. What's our scholarship situation like now if no transfers and DG comes back?

Still two to fill. 

Archived