Morel Mushrooms

rico

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Can’t see crap. What’s the login info? Sheesh

You should be able to see without logging in......just try IndianaAngler.com  and scroll down to the mushroom forum.  If that doesn't work let me know.  I got a guy that has some pull over there.

We had a conversation about this last year, and I went a couple times, but it was a terrible season for it where I'm at in Illinois.  It snowed multiple times in April, and it went straight from cold and snowy to being hot and dry.  This spring looks like it should be a lot better hunting conditions.  I've never had a morel before, so I'm really hopeful I can find some!

For anyone in Illinois (or people who live close to it), here's a good Facebook page that tracks were people are finding them.  I'm in Iroquois County, so it looks like they could be up here soon.  We got a good rain today, and this week should be pretty warm with some rain, so I might go out next weekend and see if I can find anything.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

We had a conversation about this last year, and I went a couple times, but it was a terrible season for it where I'm at in Illinois.  It snowed multiple times in April, and it went straight from cold and snowy to being hot and dry.  This spring looks like it should be a lot better hunting conditions.  I've never had a morel before, so I'm really hopeful I can find some!

For anyone in Illinois (or people who live close to it), here's a good Facebook page that tracks were people are finding them.  I'm in Iroquois County, so it looks like they could be up here soon.  We got a good rain today, and this week should be pretty warm with some rain, so I might go out next weekend and see if I can find anything.

Just make sure you have someone who knows how to identify mushrooms, if you don't.  

A wet Spring is very good.  Check around tree stumps and fallen trees. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Umm, no. LOL.   A good rule of thumb.  If you are not sure.... don't pick it.

How to tell if wild mushrooms are safe to eat

I'll just feed them to my brothers to see if they're safe or not.  Hopefully I don't find more than 2 poisonous ones, or I'll need some more test subjects people.

I've looked up a ton the last couple years on what they look like and how to spot the differences.  My dad might go with me too, and he knows what to look for.

28 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I'll just feed them to my brothers to see if they're safe or not.  Hopefully I don't find more than 2 poisonous ones, or I'll need some more test subjects people.

I've looked up a ton the last couple years on what they look like and how to spot the differences.  My dad might go with me too, and he knows what to look for.

I had one uncle who would wait one day, after every one else ate the mushrooms we picked, before he would eat them. 

36 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

If I find one of those, I'm going to eat it and sue Nintendo for teaching me those would give me an extra life.  Or at least my surviving family could sue them for me.

I'm already part of the class action suit against Nintendo for suffering repeated concussions from hitting my head against bricks trying to get gold coins. 

sheepshead-mushroom.jpg

2 hours ago, rico said:

There is a potentially dangerous one that does grow in my area.  I call it a "false morel" but have heard them referred to as "beefsteaks".

beefst-1.jpg?fit=640%2C480

Not to be confused with the Sheepshead or Hen of The Woods..... commonly found in the Fall.  Pictured above.  My dad loved them.

Maitake (Sheepshead, Hen of the Woods) Mushroom Hunting Tips

9 minutes ago, rico said:

And I don't hunt them, I don't want to get shot.  That be deer season around here.

We would go to one Farmer who had tons of land.Totally  fenced in. It was about an hour's drive from home.  My dad would give the farmer candy bars, at his gate. With a smile on his face, the farmer would let us in to his wooded area, which was also fenced in. The farmer gave us the key to that gate.No one else was allowed in.  Spring and fall, we had the farmer's entire woods to ourselves.  Unlike some of the closer in wooded areas, that at times there would be a whole line of cars parked along side of the road.... and pickers, tripping all over themselves.

Archived