Morel Mushrooms

rico

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I love mushrooms as a pizza topping.  Rarely if ever see morel's as a pizza topping.  You experienced a rare event, IMHO.

Talking about toppings.  Not morels. But just regular mushrooms bought in the grocery store.  A great topping for a grilled steak.

Superb Sauteed Mushrooms Recipe

Thanks for recipe! I didn't want to step on anyone's toes but I've had regular grilled or stuffed portobello mushrooms from the store that were tastier. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

It think its a combination of supply demand and demand for a product people don't know how or where to find. And the season is short and in some places there will be scarcity.

As for cooking, I do an egg wash then dredge once in seasoned flour and fry in oil. I really think they need some texture to bring out their flavors. 

Thanks! I have a friend that hunts morels each year. Lives near Clermont out West of Indy. He's always selling pounds of morels to stores or restaurants. Of course he never shares where he gets them. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for recipe! I didn't want to step on anyone's toes but I've had regular grilled or stuffed portobello mushrooms from the store that were tastier. 

Portobello Pizza done on a grill is divine.  Use your favorite sauce and toppings.  The bigger the portobello, the better.   Try it. You'll love it. Note... I love adding a full leafe or more  of fresh basil. 

Link is only for demonstration purposes :   Grilled Portobello Mushroom Pizzas 

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick question. I was at a party Saturday where morel mushrooms were an item you could put on your make it own pizza. Maybe it was how they were prepared, maybe it was where they came from (Market District) but I guess I was expecting more. Is it purely supply/demand of how popular or pricey they are? Or perhaps someone could share (in spirit of other food thread) a simple yet tasty way to prepare to get the full experience.

I have seen morels go for $100 a pound.  Just bread them in flour, dry onion batter, or corn meal.  Fry in butter.

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

What next? LSD?

Oh gosh. I hope not.  However, many of the Vet's I served with during Viet Nam..... say magic mushrooms really help them get by. Thankfully, for my self, I have never had the need.

5 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Did you grow those? I’ve been interested in hunting but never tried. Ive never eaten one either so a ‘shortcut’ would be nice. 

No, I didn't grow them.  I was referring to if they actually got bigger once they popped up.  There are no "shortcuts"......yet.

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I went out for about an hour this afternoon, but we're soaked and getting around was tough.  No luck yet.  We're supposed to be drier this week, so I'm going to try to give it a long walk next weekend as my last hoorah for the year.

Best of luck as you head out once again.  It's a funny thing.  You can go out and find nothing.  And then just a few days later, fill an entire basket, in the same area as you were before.

11 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I went out for about an hour this afternoon, but we're soaked and getting around was tough.  No luck yet.  We're supposed to be drier this week, so I'm going to try to give it a long walk next weekend as my last hoorah for the year.

Yep, this wet weather makes getting around difficult.  Especially for me.  Most of the woods I hunt I access from driving across a field.

Archived