Conference Realignment

With Sampson inking that contract extension I couldn't help but think about Houston joining the Big 12 and what dominoes would fall if that came to fruition.  UC to the Big 12 as well?  What happens to the AAC?  What does the PAC 12 do?  Would the Big East expand?  A good off season topic.

Great topic, but I haven't heard much of anything tangible on anything happening. 

Personally, I'd like to see the Power 5 Conferences all go to 16 or 20 teams.  Divide each of the 5 conferences into two 8 or 10 team divisions (This is for basketball purposes only, not considering football impact).  For the 10 team division option, each Conference play a true round robin for each division (18 game conference schedule).  If the 8 team per division option, then true round robin in division (14 games), then either 4 or 6 games with teams in the other division to get to a 18 or 20 game conference schedule.  Then take the top 8 teams from each division to the conference tourney.

• Like 1

I've always wondered what the Big Ten would do if one of our newer members 'went home'.  What if Nebraska or Maryland decided that the grass in the Big Ten was not as green as they thought, and abruptly decided to return to the conference they left (Rutgers left out of that scenario for obvious reasons)?     For example, if they added Houston, wouldn't the Big 12 be much more interested in Nebraska than they would be Cincinnati?  How would the Big Ten respond?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

On the first point, as long as the Big 12 is poaching from the AAC, Wichita State might be an option. Supposedly flush with cash from the Koch brothers and some natural rivalries in Kansas and K State

Well then you got that football thing......I don't see a non-football school in a football conference.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I've always wondered what the Big Ten would do if one of our newer members 'went home'.  What if Nebraska or Maryland decided that the grass in the Big Ten was not as green as they thought, and abruptly decided to return to the conference they left (Rutgers left out of that scenario for obvious reasons)?     For example, if they added Houston, wouldn't the Big 12 be much more interested in Nebraska than they would be Cincinnati?  How would the Big Ten respond?  

Fair point.  But right here, right now the Huskers are loving the TV money...which is a factor in this as well.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Well then you got that football thing......I don't see a non-football school in a football conference.

True. Maybe they could do the associate member deal like Notre Dame in the ACC or Navy does in the AAC. I know they've talked about reviving the football program.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If it were up to me this is what would happen because I would like to see conferences a lot smaller.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If it were up to me this is what would happen because I would like to see conferences a lot smaller.

Imagine that?  Once again, you live in the past Bro.  You better get into the future because gas ain't going back to a dollar a gallon anytime soon.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

True. Maybe they could do the associate member deal like Notre Dame in the ACC or Navy does in the AAC. I know they've talked about reviving the football program.

Wichita St. should have joined the Big East......to me that would have been a perfect fit.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Imagine that?  Once again, you live in the past Bro.  You better get into the future because gas ain't going back to a dollar a gallon anytime soon.

I know it will never happen and I am happy with what we got but I would rather see us be able to play all of our conference opponents twice.  A few months ago I paid around $1.30 for gas so it almost got back to a dollar.

Edited by IU Scott

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know it will never happen and I am happy with what we got but I would rather see us be able to play all of our conference opponents twice.  A few months ago I paid around $1.30 for gas so it almost got back to a dollar.

Conference alignment is not fueled by basketball.....football is at the root.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Big 12 and ACC can't pay what the BIG pays. So the Big Ten's response would be, "Want $10 million more per year or not?"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/03/14/big-12-reports-371-million-revenues-2017-up-more-than-18-percent/426331002/

That said, since recent conference realignment makes absolutely no sense, I look forward to Rutgers joining the PAC 12 next year.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Says who?  Believe it or not there are a lot of people out there that cherish college football.....me included.

I like college football but don't watch a lot besides IU games.  To me college football is so predictable that you will have the same 4-6 teams vying for the championship every year.  For me this is not that entertaining and you will never see a Cinderella team in college football because they never get a chance.

2 divisions of either 7 or 8 schools.  Football scheduling would be every team in a school's division, 3 from the opposite division and 2 or 3 OOC. 

B10: Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland, Missouri, Notre Dame

SEC: Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, West Virginia, Arkansas

ACC: Duke, North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, Pitt, Boston College, Syracuse, UConn, Temple

B12: Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, TCU, SMU, Houston, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado, Nebraska, Nevada, UNLV

P12: UCLA, Cal, Stanford, USC, Fresno State, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Utah, Boise State, BYU

2 hours ago, rico said:

Says who?  Believe it or not there are a lot of people out there that cherish college football.....me included.

I am an IU football fan.  I do like some other schools in a secondary way, but I am too embedded into IU.  Obviously, my standards or expectations are different for IU football than they are for IU basketball, lol.

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I am an IU football fan.  I do like some other schools in a secondary way, but I am too embedded into IU.  Obviously, my standards or expectations are different for IU football than they are for IU basketball, lol.

Completely understand.

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'd do anything to be a football school. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

2 divisions of either 7 or 8 schools.  Football scheduling would be every team in a school's division, 3 from the opposite division and 2 or 3 OOC. 

B10: Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland, Missouri, Notre Dame

SEC: Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, West Virginia, Arkansas

ACC: Duke, North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, Pitt, Boston College, Syracuse, UConn, Temple

B12: Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, TCU, SMU, Houston, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado, Nebraska, Nevada, UNLV

P12: UCLA, Cal, Stanford, USC, Fresno State, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Utah, Boise State, BYU

And may I ask what you did with Rutgers?