Conference Realignment

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You do realize, Scott, that all that extra money has translated into better facilities, weight rooms, more to spend on better coaches. I would argue that those things, fueled by the money you mention, have helped draw a higher quality athlete to IU. Slowly and hopefully surely, that will result in a better team on the field 

That money comes from the big ten network and the more teams you add the less each team will get.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That money comes from the big ten network and the more teams you add the less each team will get.

Not necessarily. If the team being brought in brings in a new media market, that increases revenue. Overall pie gets bigger, and odds are, the incremental increase will offset the additional team.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well if we didn't then they played 8 out of the other 9 teams and that would be better than if you played 9 out of 20 teams. My point is that conference expansion is not good for the actual product on the field and the only reason for it is money.  Also I care more about how all of this effects basketball and right now we have 6 teams we only play once and if you expand that would make it more teams you don't play twice.

Regardless, we have never played the other 9 in my lifetime.  Never had a true regular season champion which seems to be what you thirst for.  And football drives the bus.

7 hours ago, rico said:

Texas is definitely the biggest puzzle piece.  If they refuse and say all 3 of B1G, sec, and pac starts gobbling up teams and Texas is sitting there holding their remote with their network and whatever is left after those 3 take 2 each. Wouldn't they be backed into a corner or do they become independent like Notre dame?  There are a handful of teams nationally that could pull off their own network, nd, tex,  bama.  Anyone else?

Edited by NotIThatLives

9 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Texas is definitely the biggest puzzle piece.  If they refuse and say all 3 of B1G, sec, and pac starts gobbling up teams and Texas is sitting there holding their remote with their network and whatever is left after those 3 take 2 each. Wouldn't they be backed into a corner or do they become independent like Notre dame?  There are a handful of teams nationally that could pull off their own network, nd, tex,  bama.  Anyone else?

It would be funny if Texas was in a room by themselves with no one to play with.....

26 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Would it be funny or would it be genius? They're going to make their money with or without Big 12 Conference.  

I guess you put more stock in Texas than I do.  I do not view the Longhorns as a national product like I do Notre Dame.  

22 minutes ago, rico said:

I guess you put more stock in Texas than I do.  I do not view the Longhorns as a national product like I do Notre Dame.  

After doing some quick reading on the Longhorn Network it is actually considered a flop.  I would still think there would be some worth for someone like Fox to give Texas football a contract similar to Notre Dame contract with NBC considering that five of the top 13 largest cities in the United States are in Texas. 

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

After doing some quick reading on the Longhorn Network it is actually considered a flop.  I would still think there would be some worth for someone like Fox to give Texas football a contract similar to Notre Dame contract with NBC considering that five of the top 13 largest cities in the United States are in Texas. 

I suppose Texas could be a Notre Dame and go the independent route and try to get a TV contract...but what do they do in the other sports?

Just now, rico said:

I suppose Texas could be a Notre Dame and go the independent route and try to get a TV contract...but what do they do in the other sports?

I'm just thinking out loud but if these conferences start poaching some of the other teams I think Texas would eventually have to fold the question is would they go into the SEC or the Big Ten?

30 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't think they could sustain their own network. But if BYU can sustain for 5+years as an independent, Texas could. They'd be a slightly more regional ND in terms of a media contract. Fortunately for them, they're in a football crazy, highly populated area.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

ND's brand got them in the ACC for that....is the B1G, SEC, or PAC gonna do that for the Longhorns?

Given the state of the Pac12 this past year, for getting UT in all major sports save football and 3-4 football games with them a year, damn skippy they would.

• 2 years later...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-powers-texas-oklahoma-inquire-about-joining-sec-in-potentially-massive-realignment-shakeup/

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/what-acc-commissioner-jim-phillips-said-about-adding-notre-dame-football

Looks like this topic needs to be resurrected.  Texas and OK to SEC would be huge and would expedite all of the noise coming from NCAA about putting responsibilities back into the conference as well.  What is the B1G's move here? Outside of ND, it really seems the only options would be leftovers from the Big 12, maybe OkSU, Iowa State, Kansas, or prying someone away from the ACC or SEC (who may be pissed about these additions).  Cincy is always there, but doesn't move the needle in the same way.  Time Zones will probably restrict us from pulling from a fragile PAC 10.  

Edited by IUALUM03

50 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-powers-texas-oklahoma-inquire-about-joining-sec-in-potentially-massive-realignment-shakeup/

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/what-acc-commissioner-jim-phillips-said-about-adding-notre-dame-football

Looks like this topic needs to be resurrected.  Texas and OK to SEC would be huge and would expedite all of the noise coming from NCAA about putting responsibilities back into the conference as well.  What is the B1G's move here? Outside of ND, it really seems the only options would be leftovers from the Big 12, maybe OkSU, Iowa State, Kansas, or prying someone away from the ACC or SEC (who may be pissed about these additions).  Cincy is always there, but doesn't move the needle in the same way.  Time Zones will probably restrict us from pulling from a fragile PAC 10.  

IMO....I'd contact Texas A&M and Kansas. Texas A&M does not want to be in the same conference as Texas. Full stop. I'd rather have Texas than A&M but I don't see those two coexisting in the SEC. The obvious benefit of adding a school in Texas is I think it could breath life back into the Nebraska program. I 100% believe their biggest issue is being outside that Texas recruiting TV market/footprint. Not the only obviously but I think it hurt them drastically moving outside that BIG12 footprint and bringing a Texas based program not only would add viewers from a huge state/market but recruiting eyes back to that program and possibly help other Western Division teams. Kansas is an obvious no brainer on the basketball side and geographical side as well.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

We aren't going to move out of the NYC market.  I know Rutgers is in NJ, but it is the closest thing to a state school for New York outside of Syracuse.

But what is the point?  Rutgers has absolutely no fan base whatsoever.   Yes, I know several people who attended Rutgers.

29 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

We aren't going to move out of the NYC market.  I know Rutgers is in NJ, but it is the closest thing to a state school for New York outside of Syracuse.

I'm not sure the NYC market even cares about college sports with the multitude of pro teams there. Or, if it does, Rutgers doesn't play a big role. More likely you would see all the transplants watching their alma maters rather than Rutgers.

• Like 1

If Texas -> SEC and the Big 12 breaks up, I'm not sure any current members make sense (geographically, culturally, etc...) for us to grab.  Unless we could grab Texas ourselves, then we could add some others from the Big 12 to go with them.

Other possibilities are to poach Missouri and grab Kansas along with them, or add Syracuse on the other side of the country. 

Edited by andy_puiu

It doesn't matter if people watch, its on their subscriptions and thats what pays the bills.  Rutgers isn't going anywhere.  

Is the B1G more attractive than the ACC?  Thats a major question and I would say no, considering ESPN money and the slobberfest they have going on there.  So we can likely rule out anymore ACC schools jumping ship.  The SEC money is too much to walk away from so that's also not likely.  The dream scenarios are snag Texas or T A & M and Georgia.  The 2 biggest markets within B1G reach, Dallas and Atlanta.  IMO

• Like 1