Conference Realignment

26 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Kansas has i think the third biggest tv market in the Big 12. Their football might suck but the basketball would be a huge addition. Also ISU has a better football team then guite a few teams in the B1G. They kind of mirror the Hoosiers lately, a football team on the rise and a dissapointing basketball team.

Each school may have a sport, and I guess you could give Iowa State wrestling as well.  But, when was the last time you heard either of those schools being an above average program in any other sport?

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Each school may have a sport, and I guess you could give Iowa State wrestling as well.  But, when was the last time you heard either of those schools being an above average program in any other sport?

I have to admit i only pay attention to basketball and football and don't care about the other sports. And lets be honest here those are the only two sports that really matter when it comes to money and tv marketing. Both of these schools bring a succesful sports program in at least one of those.

35 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

No way in hell Michigan goes to the SEC. They think they're way too good for that (hopefully, they're right).

You are probably right, but nowadays i would never say for sure something isn't going to happen. The NCAA and conferences as we know them are probably going to look a whole lot different in a couple of years.

Edited by Hoosier51

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

I know people are just throwing things out there but this one would suck if it was actually true.

Vandy would not win a football game for the next 20 years with that conference alignment.

Not too many wins for Ole Miss, Mississippi State, UK, South Carolina, or Missouri either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I wonder if the SEC makes Texas give up The Longhorn Network...

This is just a thinking out loud comment. I think Texas still thinks it's voice is the biggest in the room. Regardless of the room. Do you get that feel down there? Because when near it sometimes it get's a tad lost.....from afar Texas Football hasn't been considered anything since the Vince Young time. Just curious if they do realize they are and will be bending the knee to the SEC.

Why not blow up all the conferences and start over and let everyone negotiate and make new conferences.  To me conferences are supposed to be regional so you have natural rivalries.  Also being regionalized makes for easier travel and keep cost down.  Love to see the cost to have Texas goes to play at UF in volleyball

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why not blow up all the conferences and start over and let everyone negotiate and make new conferences.  To me conferences are supposed to be regional so you have natural rivalries.  Also being regionalized makes for easier travel and keep cost down.  Love to see the cost to have Texas goes to play at UF in volleyball

That would be horrible for Indiana at the moment if we are being honest.  Yes our football team may be on the rise but would you bet a conference spot on that?  And our basketball program has been mediocre at best for 2 decades.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This is just a thinking out loud comment. I think Texas still thinks it's voice is the biggest in the room. Regardless of the room. Do you get that feel down there? Because when near it sometimes it get's a tad lost.....from afar Texas Football hasn't been considered anything since the Vince Young time. Just curious if they do realize they are and will be bending the knee to the SEC.

Down here it's about the same. The only people who think Texas is still relevant in football are UT grads and people around Austin. I see much more A&M stuff around here. 

Some of that is simply the perception of Austin itself as a liberal city in a conservative state. Might seem far fetched, but it's true...

It's kinda funny how politics has even affected fandom. A statewide poll a few years ago showed more Democrats favored UT while Republicans favored A&M...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

ESPN is pulling the strings on all this i would guess, and all that matters to them is ratings and money and CFB is the big money maker.

The B1G already thumbed their nose at ESPN with the B1G network. ESPN has built the SEC into what it is today. They protect and build their product which is good business.  All rankings, recruiting rankings, GameDay,  and feel-good stories will promote their brand.  

The BIG controls more markets and has more leverage than the SEC did pre ESPN. I wonder if it will become a 2 conference war for supremacy.  The B1G better be proactive and grab Notre Dame and a Texas school for markets, or convince Georgia Tech or Virginia to jump.  Kansas also has a national basketball brand.  The B1G needs more legit national contenders in football on an annual basis, so some schools need to really step up.(Michigan, Penn State, us:) 

I also hope Fox Sports gets more aggressive marketing and protecting the B1G brand. We need the same level of slanted reporting and analysis the SEC gets if we ever want to catch up. No more former SEC analysts, and they need to have influence over the other poll for rankings and public perception. Just some random thoughts. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Listened to JOX radio and Finebaum down here in Birmingham this week. TAMU is PISSED about this!  One school rep referred to it as being "new membered".  Said it would NEVER happen to Georgia,  Florida, Kentucky,  or Tennessee. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Listened to JOX radio and Finebaum down here in Birmingham this week. TAMU is PISSED about this!  One school rep referred to it as being "new membered".  Said it would NEVER happen to Georgia,  Florida, Kentucky,  or Tennessee. 

If, and that is a big IF, the Aggies choose to leave the SEC then another can of "worms" will be opened up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Sounds like A&M was not consulted about adding Texas.  Maybe we try and steal them and add Kansas.  And if we push for 20 go for Notre Dame, Virginia, UNC, and Clemson.

1 hour ago, rico said:

If, and that is a big IF, the Aggies choose to leave the SEC then another can of "worms" will be opened up.

That's an interesting scenario. Holding tight with no threat of leaving projects weakness. With Texas coming, big brother will call the shots in Texas matters. But what if the SEC calls their bluff and boots them?  You'd have to think the B1G would take them and their market in a heartbeat. But would A&M really want to leave? This could get REAL interesting.