Conference Realignment

5 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That would be horrible for Indiana at the moment if we are being honest.  Yes our football team may be on the rise but would you bet a conference spot on that?  And our basketball program has been mediocre at best for 2 decades.

I was being sarcastic because I hate all of this realignment crap

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IUguy said:

I'm sorry, but the only thing that makes any sense to me for the BIG is to convince Notre Dame to come where they truly belong and then add one of either Missouri, Syracuse, Kentucky or Louisville.  Keep the schools relatively close.

First off, Notre Dame has their own football TV contract.  Secondly, tell me why UK would leave the SEC?  No thanks to Louisville.  I could get behind Mizzou and the Orangemen.

11 minutes ago, rico said:

First off, Notre Dame has their own football TV contract.  Secondly, tell me why UK would leave the SEC?  No thanks to Louisville.  I could get behind Mizzou and the Orangemen.

I know we all hold CMW in VERY high regard right now, but do you really think he would have his teams ready to face that 2/3 zone once or twice a year when the Orangemen start running it outa nowhere!?!?! 😏

51 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Daily reminder this is about money over proximity to old conference boundaries and football pulls more than basketball.  

Good post. Football is the only pull, basically. 

I'd take Iowa St and OK St... or ND. Have no interest in Kansas. 

I honestly don't know how this is all going to play out. I don't understand why the SEC really wants Texas and Oklahoma. Idk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Good post. Football is the only pull, basically. 

I'd take Iowa St and OK St... or ND. Have no interest in Kansas. 

I honestly don't know how this is all going to play out. I don't understand why the SEC really wants Texas and Oklahoma. Idk

Iowa st seems kinda cool but B1G is already in the region so I dont see the value added.  

ND would add value from a national pull regardless of their location.  

Ok st has deep pockets.  

I go back to markets.  A dallas team or steal GA Tech(Atlanta).  If A & M is really butt hurt grab them and try and steal Georgia from SEC along with them.  If that fails poach the acc, which they should do anyways IMO.

This is a basketball board and one random twitter guy says Kansas is coming and everyone is all excited.  They are right behind Penn st and Michigan st for athletic departments that i would like to see burn to the ground, never allowed to rebuild.  

Since I am a basketball first fan I am more worried how it will effect IU basketball.  If all of this ends up killing the NCAA tournament I will be done with college sports.  To me having these super conferences will take away what being in a conference means.  If the big ten goes to 20 teams then that would mean you would not play 10 teams in football.  How can you feel like you are in a conference with a team that you never play.

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Iowa st seems kinda cool but B1G is already in the region so I dont see the value added.  

ND would add value from a national pull regardless of their location.  

Ok st has deep pockets.  

I go back to markets.  A dallas team or steal GA Tech(Atlanta).  If A & M is really butt hurt grab them and try and steal Georgia from SEC along with them.  If that fails poach the acc, which they should do anyways IMO.

This is a basketball board and one random twitter guy says Kansas is coming and everyone is all excited.  They are right behind Penn st and Michigan st for athletic departments that i would like to see burn to the ground, never allowed to rebuild.  

Kansas offers nothing imo. I liked Iowa St because of their football program and makes sense with Iowa. 

Obviously ND, yeah.. I honestly don't know what to think. Missouri, Louisville, UK, Kansas all boring to me. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

Since I am a basketball first fan I am more worried how it will effect IU basketball.  If all of this ends up killing the NCAA tournament I will be done with college sports.  To me having these super conferences will take away what being in a conference means.  If the big ten goes to 20 teams then that would mean you would play 10 teams in football.  How can you feel like you are in a conference with a team that you never plays.

I don't know many people truly arguing for realigning. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I don't know many people truly arguing for realigning. 

Didn't say people are in favor of it.  I just don't want to see teams from the Pac 10 being in the same conference ad us.  I know it is all about football but you have to think about the cost of the lower tier sports having to travel across country.  Imagine Rutgers having to play UCLA in most of the sports.

4 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

The B1G already thumbed their nose at ESPN with the B1G network. ESPN has built the SEC into what it is today. They protect and build their product which is good business.  All rankings, recruiting rankings, GameDay,  and feel-good stories will promote their brand.  

The BIG controls more markets and has more leverage than the SEC did pre ESPN. I wonder if it will become a 2 conference war for supremacy.  The B1G better be proactive and grab Notre Dame and a Texas school for markets, or convince Georgia Tech or Virginia to jump.  Kansas also has a national basketball brand.  The B1G needs more legit national contenders in football on an annual basis, so some schools need to really step up.(Michigan, Penn State, us:) 

I also hope Fox Sports gets more aggressive marketing and protecting the B1G brand. We need the same level of slanted reporting and analysis the SEC gets if we ever want to catch up. No more former SEC analysts, and they need to have influence over the other poll for rankings and public perception. Just some random thoughts. 

Good post

The B1G needs to stay active that is for sure. I'm not sure who they can bring in for football though, Notre Dame isn't going to join, they are tied to the ACC and would join them first. Also i don't see any of the ACC schools leaving it to join the B1G with their Grants of Rights clause. Maybe like you said convince a Texas school along the lines of Baylor. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Good post

The B1G needs to stay active that is for sure. I'm not sure who they can bring in for football though, Notre Dame isn't going to join, they are tied to the ACC and would join them first. Also i don't see any of the ACC schools leaving it to join the B1G with their Grants of Rights clause. Maybe like you said convince a Texas school along the lines of Baylor. 

I have a friend who's brother is an assistant coach at Baylor, no i get zero info from him.  Anyways, he says the waco and baylor community at large are just phenomenal.  He went down there to live a few years but came back for a ministry job.  Baylor would bring Dallas tv market into the fold, #5 in the nation.  Thats value.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Didn't say people are in favor of it.  I just don't want to see teams from the Pac 10 being in the same conference ad us.  I know it is all about football but you have to think about the cost of the lower tier sports having to travel across country.  Imagine Rutgers having to play UCLA in most of the sports.

Your response is in response to who and what then? Who are you arguing with? 

The only people I see in favor of this is Texas, Oklahoma, and the SEC. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Basically... what I meant is, no one is disagreeing with you. 

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have a friend who's brother is an assistant coach at Baylor, no i get zero info from him.  Anyways, he says the waco and baylor community at large are just phenomenal.  He went down there to live a few years but came back for a ministry job.  Baylor would bring Dallas tv market into the fold, #5 in the nation.  Thats value.  

I have some family from Waco and they love it there.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Your response is in response to who and what then? Who are you arguing with? 

The only people I see in favor of this is Texas, Oklahoma, and the SEC. 

Who is arguing just stating my opinion on realignment.  If you noticed I did not respond to anyone's post in my post

Just now, IU Scott said:

Who is arguing just stating my opinion on realignment.  If you noticed I did not respond to anyone's post in my post

I know that.. lol that's what I'm asking you. Why? I was saying we all, basically, agree with that stance. 

I was just confused who you were trying to convince. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I know that.. lol that's what I'm asking you. Why? I was saying we all, basically, agree with that stance. 

I was just confused who you were trying to convince. 

It is a an opinion and wasn't trying to convince anyone.  I know you don't like me and that is fine but you don't have to try to critique everything I post.

• Confused 1