Conference Realignment

51 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have a friend who's brother is an assistant coach at Baylor, no i get zero info from him.  Anyways, he says the waco and baylor community at large are just phenomenal.  He went down there to live a few years but came back for a ministry job.  Baylor would bring Dallas tv market into the fold, #5 in the nation.  Thats value.  

Does anyone actually bring TV markets anymore now that streaming is killing off cable?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

The two schools I'd like to add are VA and GT.  Seems to make the most sense considering geography, academics and athletics. Plus, it would harm the ACC which is realistically our main competition for second place after the SEC. 

I don’t think anyone in the ACC can be touched…including Notre Dame because of the contracts they have. Could we pull Colorado from the pac12?

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I dont know who in the Big12 would even academically Aline with the B1G. But if we want to add a Texas school plus Kansas and Iowa St then perhaps W Virginia to help balance the conference somewhat??

To me the last thing they will worry about when it comes to realignment is academics. All these greedy universities cares about is money

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I dont know who in the Big12 would even academically Aline with the B1G. But if we want to add a Texas school plus Kansas and Iowa St then perhaps W Virginia to help balance the conference somewhat??

Kansas and Iowa St are AAU members and make sense academically but not so much financially. W VA doesn't add much financially either being such a poor state with a small alumni base.

Texas A&M makes sense if they want to leave the SEC. Not sure they will want to tho. Would love to get them and another TX school if that is possible. 

I saw someone saying the ACC and PAC 12 could join together in an alliance. This would not be good for the B1G. 

Edited by Reacher

For me I want conferences to still be regionally aligned so I would expand and contract teams.  Why not go all out and start over.  Also not worried about academic standards or anything like that.

OSU, UC, MSU, UM,

IU, PU, NW, UI,

UW, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa St.

Neb., KU, KSU, Colorado

42 minutes ago, BeenShermin said:

Does anyone actually bring TV markets anymore now that streaming is killing off cable?

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/03/17/cable-and-satellite-tv-use-has-dropped-dramatically-in-the-u-s-since-2015/

Big drops in the last 5-6 years.  There is still money being paid for these add ons like extra sports on sling etc.  Espn, fox sports etc seem to constantly expand though revenues and viewership was pounded during covid.  

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For me I want conferences to still be regionally aligned so I would expand and contract teams.  Why not go all out and start over.  Also not worried about academic standards or anything like that.

OSU, UC, MSU, UM,

IU, PU, NW, UI,

UW, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa St.

Neb., KU, KSU, Colorado

Can't let PSU go.. eww that felt nasty saying that. 

24 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Kansas and Iowa St are AAU members and make sense academically but not so much financially. W VA doesn't add much financially either being such a poor state with a small alumni base.

Texas A&M makes sense if they want to leave the SEC. Not sure they will want to tho. Would love to get them and another TX school if that is possible. 

I saw someone saying the ACC and PAC 12 could join together in an alliance. This would not be good for the B1G. 

Kansas wouldn’t bring the Kansas City market?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BeenShermin said:

That's the thing. Some are basing the importance of additional teams on the TV model, market share,etc......which isn't the case any longer. Important yes...but not what it was say 20 years ago. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Kansas wouldn’t bring the Kansas City market?

Kansas is a national program with national following. You get a chance to add that to your hoops part of the conference it's an absolute no brainer. Honestly I'm surprised at some of the resistance on Kansas. It would be like telling us to take a hike from the Big 10  for a better part of 20 years minus 3-4 bowl games since Mallory left. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Kansas is a national program with national following. You get a chance to add that to your hoops part of the conference it's an absolute no brainer. Honestly I'm surprised at some of the resistance on Kansas. It would be like telling us to take a hike from the Big 10  for a better part of 20 years minus 3-4 bowl games since Mallory left. 

I'm one that would love to have KU join the B1G. It would be great to get a rivalry going with them.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Kansas has "filth" swirling around both the football and basketball programs right now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Kansas has "filth" swirling around both the football and basketball programs right now.

Yeah but is it any worse then what has happened at Penn State, MSU and now Michigan under Bo. If the B1G is going to be all high and mighty they should kick those three teams out.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah but is it any worse then what has happened at Penn State, MSU and now Michigan under Bo. If the B1G is going to be all high and mighty they should kick those three teams out.

My point was the issues surrounding Kansas might be why some don't want them in the conference.

• Like 1

Through a casual discussion, a neighbor said he saw on twitter a rumor that Fox sports is pushing Colorado, UCLA, USC and one other I can't rember to the Big10.  Now that would be a power play over the SEC.  

Personally, I love locking down the middle strip of the country and brand the heck out of it.  TV dollars will be huge!  Get Kansas, Pittsburgh, Missouri.  Delany really wanted UNC and there were rumblings back in the day.

Now, Notre Dame.....could a new commissioner make that happen.  ND was listening for all sports except football, but now who knows where they are with the independent thing.

Now only in UofChicago can bring back D1.

• Like 1