Conference Realignment

3 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Good post

The B1G needs to stay active that is for sure. I'm not sure who they can bring in for football though, Notre Dame isn't going to join, they are tied to the ACC and would join them first. Also i don't see any of the ACC schools leaving it to join the B1G with their Grants of Rights clause. Maybe like you said convince a Texas school along the lines of Baylor. 

Actually it has been CBS who has built up the SEC. Even though they have now lost the contract, their website for college football still emphasizes the SEC over every other conference.

As I said previously, Iowa State is the shiny new thing that will lose its luster when Campbell moves on. If the B1G wants to expand into the Big 12 region, they need to find a partner in Texas to provide a presence in a fertile football recruiting grounds.

Sorry, @IU Scottbut basketball is an afterthought in all this maneuvering. The money is in football and that’s where astute conference commissioners are going to focus 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As I said previously, Iowa State is the shiny new thing that will lose its luster when Campbell moves on. If the B1G wants to expand into the Big 12 region, they need to find a partner in Texas to provide a presence in a fertile football recruiting grounds.

The only one that would be an option is Baylor. Unless of course the Aggies are pissed off enough about being left in the dark on all this and the B1G could convince them to leave the SEC.

14 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Through a casual discussion, a neighbor said he saw on twitter a rumor that Fox sports is pushing Colorado, UCLA, USC and one other I can't rember to the Big10.  Now that would be a power play over the SEC.  

Personally, I love locking down the middle strip of the country and brand the heck out of it.  TV dollars will be huge!  Get Kansas, Pittsburgh, Missouri.  Delany really wanted UNC and there were rumblings back in the day.

Now, Notre Dame.....could a new commissioner make that happen.  ND was listening for all sports except football, but now who knows where they are with the independent thing.

Now only in UofChicago can bring back D1.

Now bringing in CO, USC, UCLA and OR would be a statement. That's a national conference and the type of big thinking I like. Would jump over the SEC. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand. We can pull open the playbook on our Big10 brethren too with their list of problems. 

There is a difference here.  Michigan St. and Penn St. were not going through it when they were entering the conference.

20 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Actually it has been CBS who has built up the SEC. Even though they have now lost the contract, their website for college football still emphasizes the SEC over every other conference.

Sorry, @IU Scottbut basketball is an afterthought in all this maneuvering. The money is in football and that’s where astute conference commissioners are going to focus 

Never said it wasn't but that is what I care about more.  Also I think the line of thinking and all this greed will be the death of college athletics I grew up loving.

Edited by IU Scott

5 minutes ago, rico said:

There is a difference here.  Michigan St. and Penn St. were not going through it when they were entering the conference.

Understand. I'm just saying whether it was the despicable acts of Penn St and Michigan St....or the slush fund of Michigan during Fab5....or Lou Henson bag days.....or even just Maryland. Shoot Ohio St had to fire a couple coaches for stuff...Minnesota under Haskins.....the list can go on and on. 

One of the Big 10's worst attributes in my 2 cent opinion is we somehow believe our conference never did dirt. Now as IU fans we can say that. We won at the highest level for decades while being as clean as to be expected....so I think that figures into our own thinking and opinions. 

Outsiders though view the Big 10 not dirty...but they are quick to point out decades of conference members doing wrong.  I'm not saying SEC/ACC/PAC 10/Big 12 dirty but we can't pretend it hasn't happened. Nor hold that over a school like Kansas. Or maybe we can. I don't know that exact answer. 

In the year 2021. I welcome Kansas. And Baylor or whomever else we can counter this mega monster Amazon/Walmart behemoth the SEC is going to create. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand. I'm just saying whether it was the despicable acts of Penn St and Michigan St....or the slush fund of Michigan during Fab5....or Lou Henson bag days.....or even just Maryland. Shoot Ohio St had to fire a couple coaches for stuff...Minnesota under Haskins.....the list can go on and on. 

One of the Big 10's worst attributes in my 2 cent opinion is we somehow believe our conference never did dirt. Now as IU fans we can say that. We won at the highest level for decades while being as clean as to be expected....so I think that figures into our own thinking and opinions. 

Outsiders though view the Big 10 not dirty...but they are quick to point out decades of conference members doing wrong.  I'm not saying SEC/ACC/PAC 10/Big 12 dirty but we can't pretend it hasn't happened. Nor hold that over a school like Kansas. Or maybe we can. I don't know that exact answer. 

In the year 2021. I welcome Kansas. And Baylor or whomever else we can counter this mega monster Amazon/Walmart behemoth the SEC is going to create. 

Fair enough.  BTW, I am "neutral" about Kansas joining, just pointing out there is a difference about them and the others.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Fair enough.  BTW, I am "neutral" about Kansas joining, just pointing out there is a difference about them and the others.

I am too in one sense. I despise Bill Self and his long list of "stuff"....I also know the national recognition of bringing a program like that in could help the Big 10. I keep leaning yes to Kansas. Of course in a week I could say hell no we'll handle these waters ourselves. Who knows the right answer. I gave up on clean a looooooong time ago and I still hate myself for it. Haha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

I would argue (although much worse, not arguing that point) that MSU’s and PSU’s issues weren’t sport-related. People responsible are paying the price. Kansas’ issues are athletic driven, cheating athletically. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I would argue (although much worse, not arguing that point) that MSU’s and PSU’s issues weren’t sport-related. People responsible are paying the price. Kansas’ issues are athletic driven, cheating athletically. 

How can they not be sport related? In both cases, the offender was under the auspices of the AD

23 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

How can they not be sport related? In both cases, the offender was under the auspices of the AD

My point was that it wasn’t about cheating to win. Sure, it involved the athletic department and those people involved are paying the price. But it wasn’t about recruiting violations, etc. I think it’s fair to say that MSU and PSU do not have systematic cheating issues. Can you say the same about Kansas? Regardless, I don’t care if they join or don’t join. 

13 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

My point was that it wasn’t about cheating to win. Sure, it involved the athletic department and those people involved are paying the price. But it wasn’t about recruiting violations, etc. I think it’s fair to say that MSU and PSU do not have systematic cheating issues. Can you say the same about Kansas? Regardless, I don’t care if they join or don’t join. 

It wasn't about cheating but it was way worse. I would rather have Kansas in than those three schools since what happened involving their athletic departments was despicable. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

It wasn't about cheating but it was way worse. I would rather have Kansas in than those three schools since what happened involving their athletic departments was despicable. 

Yeah, I already stated it was worse. But we can agree to disagree on the rest.  MSU and PSU had individuals commit crimes that they are now paying for, and of which is not still going on at the schools. So punish the rest of the school forever for a few losers? Kansas has a historically dirty basketball program from all accounts, which has been going on for awhile … and still going on likely (never been punished or cleaned up). Again, we can agree to disagree on how we view each of those schools TODAY. 

9 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Listen, I am almost certain if MSU and PSU were trying to join the conference when that stuff was going down they wouldn't have gotten admitted.  Kansas is in the midst of allegations/wrong doing and may be looking for a new conference.  That is a big difference.  

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, I already stated it was worse. But we can agree to disagree on the rest.  MSU and PSU had individuals commit crimes that they are now paying for, and of which is not still going on at the schools. So punish the rest of the school forever for a few losers? Kansas has a historically dirty basketball program from all accounts, which has been going on for awhile … and still going on likely (never been punished or cleaned up). Again, we can agree to disagree on how we view each of those schools TODAY. 

From everything we heard publicly Michigan State and Penn state's athletic departments were complicit in covering up crimes to women and children nonetheless, some going on for years some for over a decade.  

At the very least Penn State should never have been allowed to have a football team ever again.  

If Kansas hasn't been punished for cheating they're never going to be punished so I hope they fall into the American conference and become totally irrelevant.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rico said:

Listen, I am almost certain if MSU and PSU were trying to join the conference when that stuff was going down they wouldn't have gotten admitted.  Kansas is in the midst of allegations/wrong doing and may be looking for a new conference.  That is a big difference.  

Well i would hope they wouldn't have. Also the NCAA clearly doesn't care about recruiting violations anymore so i don't think it is going to have any impact on their conference search.

Hoosierfan1901 posted this in the football forums about Oklahoma State. If this is the case maybe AAU accreditation isn't that important anymore for the B1G when it comes to teams joining.

From the looks of it there is going to be a lot of different teams rumored to be talking to the B1G LOL.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1