Conference Realignment

Notre Dame will NEVER join the BIG 10. You can thank Michigan for that.

Their anti catholic bigotry and disdain for the school they taught football to became much better than them at it, caused them to blackball ND on several occasions when ND tried to join in the early 20th century. 

• Haha 1

Someone convince me that I care what the SEC does. 

Let's say they succeed in adding Texas, OU, let's throw in FSU and Clemson, so the SEC is just stacked with football powers. Why does that affect me as a Big Ten fan? That conference will win a lot of national championships, but I would think individual Big Ten programs will continue winning at their normal rates. It seems to me that the only reason I would care is if the SEC stops participating in things like the playoffs. But, I'm sure it's still in the SEC's financial interest to have some sort of meaningful competition with other top programs, so I don't see the BIG losing much. 

Why would their move force the BIG to respond? I don't see it right now.

11 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Someone convince me that I care what the SEC does. 

Let's say they succeed in adding Texas, OU, let's throw in FSU and Clemson, so the SEC is just stacked with football powers. Why does that affect me as a Big Ten fan? That conference will win a lot of national championships, but I would think individual Big Ten programs will continue winning at their normal rates. It seems to me that the only reason I would care is if the SEC stops participating in things like the playoffs. But, I'm sure it's still in the SEC's financial interest to have some sort of meaningful competition with other top programs, so I don't see the BIG losing much. 

Why would their move force the BIG to respond? I don't see it right now.

Money.  Think of all the money the BTN pumped into schools like IU.  Then take into account NIL.  If you are a program in THE mega conference that is getting conference network money along with ESPN/CBS/Fox etc. type of money (and exposure) you are going to have a leg up on everyone.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Possibly?  Not like we have not played out west during the preseason before. 

We have? Outside of Maui during Thanksgiving break. 

What about a sport that doesn't produce revenue? You sending softball to LA for a series vs UCLA? 

• Like 2

If we are going for some super conference then UCLA, USC, Stanford, Oregon, Colorado from the PAC 10 makes sense. Add Kansas for bball and you would just split B1G into East and West power conference. Scheduling would be East and West coast swings and that hits a lot of major markets and sports power houses and doesn’t hurt our academics too much.

Proposed pods for 4 games with 1 protected cross pod rivalry game and 3 games 1 from each pod rotating every year.

B1G East Pods

Rutgers, Maryland, Penn St, Ohio St, Indiana

Michigan, MSU, Purdue, Illinois, NW

B1G West Pods

Iowa, Wisc, Minn, Nebraska, Kansas 

Colorado, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Oregon 

In basketball you play Everyone once with one home and home rivalry game. Then have 1 large east and west conference tournament.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

If we are going for some super conference then UCLA, USC, Stanford, Oregon, Colorado from the PAC 10 makes sense. Add Kansas for bball and you would just split B1G into East and West power conference. Scheduling would be East and West coast swings and that hits a lot of major markets and sports power houses and doesn’t hurt our academics too much.

Proposed pods for 4 games with 1 protected cross pod rivalry game and 3 games 1 from each pod rotating every year.

B1G East Pods

Rutgers, Maryland, Penn St, Ohio St, Indiana

Michigan, MSU, Purdue, Illinois, NW

B1G West Pods

Iowa, Wisc, Minn, Nebraska, Kansas 

Colorado, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Oregon 

In basketball you play Everyone once with one home and home rivalry game. Then have 1 large east and west conference tournament.

I hope we look for Iowa St before Kansas. 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We have? Outside of Maui during Thanksgiving break. 

What about a sport that doesn't produce revenue? You sending softball to LA for a series vs UCLA? 

I think most smaller sports you do a bi-conference that doesn’t cross over until tournaments or have two champs play each other for an overall championship. Baseball and softball might be even easier because you get to play a series but yes you would have to sacrifice some sports playing every member every year or playing east vs west members except in a final championship match or a tournament. Some sports might not even be held at home anymore and take competitions to regional tournaments where you compete against 4-5 at once (like swimming diving gulf etc)

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I hope we look for Iowa St before Kansas. 

I don’t think we can ignore KU basketball…it looms much larger than just football decision…wnd Iowa St football is like .450 winning percentage all time. They may be a hot team at the moment but traditionally that can’t be said.

1 hour ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Kansas, Oklahoma State, Iowa State & Baylor have reportedly all reached out to the Big Ten in some capacity.  Twenty teams is what the SEC is going for and what the end game will probably be.  Honestly, i'd take all four and then take two huge swings at schools like Clemson, Notre Dame, USC, Oregon, UCLA, Texas A&M and maybe a couple of others.  Miss out on them, then move to add a couple of east coast schools as dancing partners for Maryland/Rutgers/Penn State.  Syracuse, UConn, Pittsburgh, Boston College and one or two others would be targets.

We can call it whatever the hell we want, but 20 teams is not a conference.

• You only play the other division in football in the Championship game.
  • You play each team once in basketball and one team twice for a 20 game schedule?
  • You can't possibly play everyone in baseball, softball, soccer, etc.

The whole bigger is better concept is stupid beyond words, and will ultimately ruin college sports.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

• You play each team once in basketball and one team once for a 20 game schedule?

The whole bigger is better concept is stupid beyond words, and will ultimately ruin college sports.  

Oh I agree, I don't like it one bit.  Hate it in fact.  I hope it doesn't happen but looks more and more likely.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think we can ignore KU basketball…it looms much larger than just football decision…wnd Iowa St football is like .450 winning percentage all time. They may be a hot team at the moment but traditionally that can’t be said.

This isn't basketball driven.. at all. I don't see Kansas as a decent option, at all. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Already have the TVs for Iowa State with Iowa.  Kansas adds more TVs like Colorado, USC, UCLA, and Oregon do.  

I dont see the point in Kansas at all.. what do they add? Basketball isn't really a force behind this, so you can't really use that. 

Iowa St and go from there. 

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

• You play each team once in basketball and one team once for a 20 game schedule?

Unfortunately you have to survive long enough to see that happen. Until then you have to survive or go the way of Big 12 and Big East.

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I dont see the point in Kansas at all.. what do they add? Basketball isn't really a force behind this, so you can't really use that. 

Iowa St and go from there. 

Kansas football has almost an identical record as Iowa st football historically. Last time Iowa St won a conference was 1912…and they had a much much bigger presence in basketball. Basically they are IU of the Big 12. I realize football is driving this more than basketball but if you want pure revenue and conference prestige and championships you add Kansas as they are basically a national contender every year in basketball and be the #1 team in the conference instantly. You don’t ignore 10 national championships. Maybe you take both and you drop one of the other schools I get it…maybe Stanford won’t come along but you take Kansas.

Whatever happens I don’t think the B1G will ignore all else at the expense of only football. They will take a wholistic look and yes will prioritize football but not ignore all else.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Kansas football has almost an identical record as Iowa st football historically. Last time Iowa St won a conference was 1912…and they had a much much bigger presence in basketball. Basically they are IU of the Big 12. I realize football is driving this more than basketball but if you want pure revenue and conference prestige and championships you add Kansas as they are basically a national contender every year in basketball and be the #1 team in the conference instantly. You don’t ignore 10 national championships. Maybe you take both and you drop one of the other schools I get it…maybe Stanford won’t come along but you take Kansas.

Whatever happens I don’t think the B1G will ignore all else at the expense of only football. They will take a wholistic look and yes will prioritize football but not ignore all else.

I'd love to add Kansas and UConn purely for basketball.

19 hours ago, Reacher said:

If the SEC is going to be the premier conference, and IU is the southernmost B1G team, IU could shake things up and move to the SEC. FL is more important for recruiting than MN. :coffee:

That wont work. Cal wont let his teams play in B-Town anymore. 🤷‍♂️

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Who has 10 NCs? Kansas has 3 unless you want to start going all Purdue and count Helms Banners...

My bad…not sure why I said that. I was thinking of UCLA because I was also talking to my brother and he said why add them their football sucks…but even that was wrong with them because I think they actually have 11 so just ignore me lol.😂

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1