Conference Realignment

19 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Wasn’t there something the last time this came up where the Kansas legislature said that they wouldn’t back realignment if Kansas and KState didn’t stay in the same conference?

There is a lot of legislators like that. Texas might. If it’s a public school the legislature has to consider what is healthy and best for all public schools in the state and limit one from hurting another.

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Top grossing college football programs

Some surprises in there...Georgia and Auburn grossing more than Alabama...Washington out earning USC in the Pac 12...

Interesting. Can say this. No point in offering a non power 5 member.

Here is football revenue from Big 12 teams for reference.

https://www.cnhinews.com/cnhi/sports/article_226f8322-5f70-11e8-92ac-9f2915e55a33.html

• Like 1

Got an alert ony phone and now on another site talking about UM and OSU is talking with the SEC.  Also mentioned Clemson and FSU as well so are they just going to be one super conference.  Are they going to have all the top football programs in one conference.  To me I don't know why these schools all want to be in the same conference.  Unless they think they will still get the majority of the spots when they expand the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Got an alert ony phone and now on another site talking about UM and OSU is talking with the SEC.  Also mentioned Clemson and FSU as well so are they just going to be one super conference.  Are they going to have all the top football programs in one conference.  To me I don't know why these schools all want to be in the same conference.  Unless they think they will still get the majority of the spots when they expand the playoffs.

You on dial up internet.  This was reported last Thursday or Friday 

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There would be no playoffs if those teams joined. The winner of the conference would be their own national champion. They’d flip a bird at the ncaa and wouldn’t need them anymore. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There would be no playoffs if those teams joined. The winner of the conference would be their own national champion. They’d flip a bird at the ncaa and wouldn’t need them anymore. 

Pretty sure that's where they are going which is why Fox, B1G, Pac12 and anyone of value left in the acc would have to also merge.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If you want to be forward thinking, regional alliances are unnecessary.  The concept is becoming an anachronism.  They are headed to a model like the sports leagues where Miami could play Seattle or Boston plays Los Angeles. Heck the NFL has been eyeing London and trying to figure out how they can make it work.   The original B1G, which I loved, will be a quaint memory because this stuff is for the long game, much longer than any of us will be alive.  You used to worry about travel but it will get easier and easier.  

With all that in mind, if Texas is gone, the dream scenario would be A and M, USC, UCLA, Cal, and then a couple of heavy hitters in the south.  UNC and VA would be amazing but possibly Georgia Tech to bring in Atlanta.  

Travel itself will get easier but students trying to learn would be a problem if you have a west coast swing.  But the NCAA has long ago lost credibility on the notion of the kids being true students. Maybe the long road trips are during a holiday break.  The answer to all your questions is money and then they can engineer the schedule for the optics.  

Ultimately it might look like two conferences like the AFC and NFC or the AL and NL but just bigger.  Divisions and conferences lead to playoffs and championships.  The long game is longer than any of our lifetimes. The beat will go on and who denies that this is where it’s headed?

To your point, and many others, about education; does that even hold up now? We have seen what we can do for business and education with telecommuting. It isn't perfect, especially for schools,but it isn't like it's going to get worse. Athletes could do a west coast trip for a week and not even miss class. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sadly I agree.
If OK, Texas, UM, OSU, Clemson, FSU, and maybe ND, hop on board with the SEC nearly all of the national “cream of the crop” will be in the SEC. We might end up aligning ourselves with some sort of “B level” football league that is very strong in basketball.  I know basketball is not the money train but our best option might be assembling a group of “B” level football schools that happen to have strong basketball (Louisville, UVA, Duke, Syracuse, Kansas, UK (unlikely, they might have zero chance to win in the football super league but probably would not walk away from the cash), Wiscy, MSU, PU, Maryland, Houston, WVA, UCONN, maybe UNC, etc).

Kids might grow up thinking of the SEC20-30 as the D1 of college football and the BIG20-30 as the D1 of basketball. 

46 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

To your point, and many others, about education; does that even hold up now? We have seen what we can do for business and education with telecommuting. It isn't perfect, especially for schools,but it isn't like it's going to get worse. Athletes could do a west coast trip for a week and not even miss class. 

Aside from being sure their players are eligible how much do most schools truly care about the eduction of their revenue generating athletes? Not to mention some of their “majors”…..LOL. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think the bigger issue is the cost for non-revenue generating sports would skyrocket as opposed to educational issues. Last time I looked at IU athletics mens basketball and football generated all the revenue and every other sport (especially women's sports) were significantly in the negative. Most over a million dollars some several million in the negative. If travel was increased these sports negative impact could far exceed any positive gains that many schools have from their revenue generating sports. Would they simply get cut? I think the answer is some type of alliance that allows for limited crossover in non-revenue generating sports. If we have one mega-B1G conference it would set up in a way that perhaps the East and West regions decide who their representative would be to compete against each other for an overall conference championship with limited interaction in sports other than maybe Basketball and Football. Maybe even in football and basketball they could go to a POD type system where the winner of each pod in football do a 4 team playoff and in basketball perhaps the top two in the POD go to the conference tournament and decide the overall champion. Of course all of this is just speculative. Whatever the case...if UT and OKL go to the SEC...the B1G will need to take a massive leap or they will be next...and it won't be hard to imagine Ohio St, Penn St, UM, and Wisc getting poached next. You either become a predator or you will end up the prey. That's my opinion. The only way to save anything we know now of the NCAA is to ensure there are multiple other conferences to compete against the SEC. So it's in the best interest for the B1G and ACC to combat this. It's basically going to be an ARMS RACE.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rico said:

The NCAA really has no governance over conference affiliations to my understanding.

Agreed.  I think what he means is if one conference is so powerful and has the majority of influencial power 5 schools in it....they will not need the NCAA...the conference itself will simply hold it's own championships, craft its own rules and cease to even report to the NCAA. Basically it's members would be seen by the public as the Premier League of college athletics relegating anyone else to a sub status in public opinion.

Edited by dgambill
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think the bigger issue is the cost for non-revenue generating sports would skyrocket as opposed to educational issues. Last time I looked at IU athletics mens basketball and football generated all the revenue and every other sport (especially women's sports) were significantly in the negative. Most over a million dollars some several million in the negative. If travel was increased these sports negative impact could far exceed any positive gains that many schools have from their revenue generating sports. Would they simply get cut? I think the answer is some type of alliance that allows for limited crossover in non-revenue generating sports. If we have one mega-B1G conference it would set up in a way that perhaps the East and West regions decide who their representative would be to compete against each other for an overall conference championship with limited interaction in sports other than maybe Basketball and Football. Maybe even in football and basketball they could go to a POD type system where the winner of each pod in football do a 4 team playoff and in basketball perhaps the top two in the POD go to the conference tournament and decide the overall champion. Of course all of this is just speculative. Whatever the case...if UT and OKL go to the SEC...the B1G will need to take a massive leap or they will be next...and it won't be hard to imagine Ohio St, Penn St, UM, and Wisc getting poached next. You either become a predator or you will end up the prey. That's my opinion. The only way to save anything we know now of the NCAA is to ensure there are multiple other conferences to compete against the SEC. So it's in the best interest for the B1G and ACC to combat this. It's basically going to be an ARMS RACE.

OMG...THE SKY IS FALLING.

• Haha 2

Just now, rico said:

OMG...THE SKY IS FALLING.

If all you have in your life is sports...then I suppose you could find yourself in crisis with how the major sports leagues are acting and what the college landscape is becoming. As for myself and I assume most others....it's just another Monday....and life goes on. I suspect this will have a negligible impact on my life. I do enjoy sports...and I think they are crucially important for our youth in crafting great life lessons and building character and being a positive influence for their life...but beyond that I totally agree in your sarcasm. This means little to nothing in the grand scheme of things. I suspect what will happen is a couple leagues will grow and grow until they get so big and impossible to run and full of corruption and abuse by those at the top of the league that members then decide to break away and form up smaller conferences again and this all resets lol.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If all you have in your life is sports...then I suppose you could find yourself in crisis with how the major sports leagues are acting and what the college landscape is becoming. As for myself and I assume most others....it's just another Monday....and life goes on. I suspect this will have a negligible impact on my life. I do enjoy sports...and I think they are crucially important for our youth in crafting great life lessons and building character and being a positive influence for their life...but beyond that I totally agree in your sarcasm. This means little to nothing in the grand scheme of things. I suspect what will happen is a couple leagues will grow and grow until they get so big and impossible to run and full of corruption and abuse by those at the top of the league that members then decide to break away and form up smaller conferences again and this all resets lol.

The only "dilemma" is see right now is in the Big 12 conference.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Nobody is going to want Green Bay until the Aaron Rodgers situation is settled.

Do you think the B1G would take the Bears? It's in our geographical footprint....but we all know how bad they suck....in fact...minus Aaron Rodgers I'm not sure there is a team in the NFC North worth going after. lol