Conference Realignment

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Do you think the B1G would take the Bears? It's in our geographical footprint....but we all know how bad they suck....in fact...minus Aaron Rodgers I'm not sure there is a team in the NFC North worth going after. lol

The MAC might be a better fit for my Bears...

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Do you think the B1G would take the Bears? It's in our geographical footprint....but we all know how bad they suck....in fact...minus Aaron Rodgers I'm not sure there is a team in the NFC North worth going after. lol

The Lions probably couldn't even get an invite to the Motor City Bowl.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me this sounds like the death of college sports or at least the one that I loved

I know the feeling.  Along with the NIL, the fanfare around commitment announcements and the one & done rule, among other things, I've come to the conclusion that the college game I grew up with ain't coming back.  Only time will tell if I will enjoy the new product enough to keep following it.

• Like 6

Another interesting facet to the discussion is how closely affiliated will these athletic programs remain to their schools in the future?  As school gets more and more virtual and students start questioning the real value of all this online education, what purpose do most athletic teams serve?  I know there are some cash cows, but that's not most sports programs.

The way things are going, I have some real questions about what college athletics will even look like in 20 years.  I'm guessing we won't even  recognize the athletic programs of the future.

• Like 1

I think the Pac-12 is better position right now than many think.  If they were smart, they would absorb the rest of the Big 12 into their conference, which will take them to 20 with a wider scope and facelift that they are desperately in need of.  

This would give them scope from the Pacific to the Midwest (and West Virginia (not sure how that will work for them).  Otherwise, I do think we may get alliances with B1G and Pac-12 and ACC and SEC.   The unfortunate part for the B1G in competing is our footprint.  Most population growth is happening in the footprint of the SEC (Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Austin, Miami, etc).  This is why the SEC has become so dominant.  They aren't some sort of strategic genius.  They just happen to be in warm level climates with cities that are attracting people in droves to their cities.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I think the Pac-12 is better position right now than many think.  If they were smart, they would absorb the rest of the Big 12 into their conference, which will take them to 20 with a wider scope and facelift that they are desperately in need of.  

This would give them scope from the Pacific to the Midwest (and West Virginia (not sure how that will work for them).  Otherwise, I do think we may get alliances with B1G and Pac-12 and ACC and SEC.   The unfortunate part for the B1G in competing is our footprint.  Most population growth is happening in the footprint of the SEC (Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Austin, Miami, etc).  This is why the SEC has become so dominant.  They aren't some sort of strategic genius.  They just happen to be in warm level climates with cities that are attracting people in droves to their cities.  

I honestly am thinking along the same lines sans WV.  I just feel the Mountaineers are better suited for the SEC or ACC.  Heck I think they would be a good fit in the B1G.

Just now, rico said:

I honestly am thinking along the same lines sans WV.  I just feel the Mountaineers are better suited for the SEC or ACC.  Heck I think they would be a good fit in the B1G.

They would have been grabbed already had their academics been better.  They are just not good in comparison to other state schools and there is just no real major city in WV as well.  They have a history in football, but that was back in the coal mining boom of the middle of the last century and have struggled since in building consistency. 

7 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

They would have been grabbed already had their academics been better.  They are just not good in comparison to other state schools and there is just no real major city in WV as well.  They have a history in football, but that was back in the coal mining boom of the middle of the last century and have struggled since in building consistency. 

Wait.  What?  Academics?  What do they have to do with anything?  LOL

Maybe this has been said, but as far as other (non-revenue) sports, maybe those do not follow Football into a mega/super/all-universe conference. I would think it would make more sense for those to stay more region oriented. 

We are in the upside-down after all.

Heck, even Basketball could form their own thing separate from Football.  As long as Bball has March Madness they probably won't care too much about conf alignments, although the Conf Tournaments could generate some cash as well i suppose. 

This must be what Japan feels like when they hear Godilla in the distance?  lol 

ARTICLE: 

https://247sports.com/Article/Conference-realignment-Big-Ten-only-interested-in-adding-AAU-schools-Texas-Longhorns-Oklahoma-Sooners-SEC-168288689/

Per Rittenberg, the Big Ten is only interested in adding schools from the Association of American Universities (AAU). Per the AAU’s website, the only Big 12 teams included in that group of schools are Iowa State and Kansas. Rittenberg also pointed out that the Big Ten would have interest in Pac-12 schools that are AAU members, such as California, Washington and others, and that Notre Dame, while not included, would be an exception to the requirement.

AAU Members: 

Public
Georgia Institute of Technology (2010) Indiana University (1909)
Iowa State University (1958)
Michigan State University (1964)
The Ohio State University (1916)
The Pennsylvania State University (1958)
Purdue University (1958)
Rutgers University – New Brunswick (1989)
Stony Brook University – The State University of New York (2001) Texas A&M University (2001)
University at Buffalo – The State University of New York (1989) The University of Arizona (1985)
University of California, Davis (1996)
University of California, Berkeley (1900)
University of California, Irvine (1996)
University of California, Los Angeles (1974)
University of California, San Diego (1982)
University of California, Santa Barbara (1995)
University of California, Santa Cruz (2019)
University of Colorado, Boulder (1966)
University of Florida (1985)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1908)
The University of Iowa (1909)
The University of Kansas (1909)
University of Maryland at College Park (1969)
University of Michigan (1900)
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (1908)
University of Missouri, Columbia (1908)
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1922)
University of Oregon (1969)
University of Pittsburgh (1974)
The University of Texas at Austin (1929)
The University of Utah (2019)
University of Virginia (1904)
University of Washington (1950)
The University of Wisconsin – Madison (1900)
AAU Member Universities

Private
Boston University (2012)
Brandeis University (1985)
Brown University (1933)
California Institute of Technology (1934) Carnegie Mellon University (1982)
Case Western Reserve University (1969) Columbia University (1900)
Cornell University (1900)
Dartmouth College (2019)
Duke University (1938)
Emory University (1995)
Harvard University (1900)
The Johns Hopkins University (1900) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1934) New York University (1950)
Northwestern University (1917) Princeton University (1900) Rice University (1985)
Stanford University (1900) Tulane University (1958)
The University of Chicago (1900) University of Pennsylvania (1900) University of Rochester (1941) University of Southern California (1969) Vanderbilt University (1950)
Washington University in St. Louis (1923) Yale University (1900)
Canadian
McGill University (1926) University of Toronto (1926)

1 hour ago, IUALUM03 said:

So your saying we just need to speed up global warming until Indiana is a year round warm weather state??

Might be a little more complicated than that. Not to bring politics into it but certainly there are some tax and political matters that have spurred migration to the sun belt from major northern and western cities. Included other factors could be an aging population to warmer markets, and the further expansion of high speed internet and the companies adopting more friendly work from home ability it has fostered a huge exedus from major cities and metro areas to suburbs and smaller more family friendly communities. I'm sure we could list another half dozen other factors but the SEC has done a much better job marketing/aggressive towards football with it's schools. One also has to wonder how much credit should also go to Nick Sabin in lifting the SEC to such a level as well. Without his domination of the sport over the last 15 years or whatever and the efforts the other schools have had to invest in just trying to compete with him you wonder where the SEC would be now? I mean his influence is such that the SEC has fired multiple national championship coaches who just could not win at the same level. I mean how many coaches in the SEC have coached under him. Let's be real...Nick Sabin has a TON to do with why the SEC is where it is today...and why Texas and OKL would be interested in joining.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

ARTICLE: 

https://247sports.com/Article/Conference-realignment-Big-Ten-only-interested-in-adding-AAU-schools-Texas-Longhorns-Oklahoma-Sooners-SEC-168288689/

AAU Members: 

Public
Georgia Institute of Technology (2010) Indiana University (1909)
Iowa State University (1958)
Michigan State University (1964)
The Ohio State University (1916)
The Pennsylvania State University (1958)
Purdue University (1958)
Rutgers University – New Brunswick (1989)
Stony Brook University – The State University of New York (2001) Texas A&M University (2001)
University at Buffalo – The State University of New York (1989) The University of Arizona (1985)
University of California, Davis (1996)
University of California, Berkeley (1900)
University of California, Irvine (1996)
University of California, Los Angeles (1974)
University of California, San Diego (1982)
University of California, Santa Barbara (1995)
University of California, Santa Cruz (2019)
University of Colorado, Boulder (1966)
University of Florida (1985)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1908)
The University of Iowa (1909)
The University of Kansas (1909)
University of Maryland at College Park (1969)
University of Michigan (1900)
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (1908)
University of Missouri, Columbia (1908)
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1922)
University of Oregon (1969)
University of Pittsburgh (1974)
The University of Texas at Austin (1929)
The University of Utah (2019)
University of Virginia (1904)
University of Washington (1950)
The University of Wisconsin – Madison (1900)
AAU Member Universities

Private
Boston University (2012)
Brandeis University (1985)
Brown University (1933)
California Institute of Technology (1934) Carnegie Mellon University (1982)
Case Western Reserve University (1969) Columbia University (1900)
Cornell University (1900)
Dartmouth College (2019)
Duke University (1938)
Emory University (1995)
Harvard University (1900)
The Johns Hopkins University (1900) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1934) New York University (1950)
Northwestern University (1917) Princeton University (1900) Rice University (1985)
Stanford University (1900) Tulane University (1958)
The University of Chicago (1900) University of Pennsylvania (1900) University of Rochester (1941) University of Southern California (1969) Vanderbilt University (1950)
Washington University in St. Louis (1923) Yale University (1900)
Canadian
McGill University (1926) University of Toronto (1926)

I really appreciate all your effort...I don't doubt they would target AAU schools first (IF they fit the football criteria) so schools like USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Colorado etc....but they've already shown by admitting Nebraska they will happily ignore the AAU if the money is right.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I really appreciate all your effort...I don't doubt they would target AAU schools first (IF they fit the football criteria) so schools like USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Colorado etc....but they've already shown by admitting Nebraska they will happily ignore the AAU if the money is right.

Nebraska was a member of the AAU when they joined the conference.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rico said:

All I can say is if the B1G pulls some kind of weak a$$ move like only adding Iowa St and Kansas....look for the SEC to be knocking on Michigan's and Ohio St door in the future. B1G will need bold, decisive, calculated, smart leadership in the coming year. Not sure I have faith in the leadership at the top.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All I can say is if the B1G pulls some kind of weak a$$ move like only adding Iowa St and Kansas....look for the SEC to be knocking on Michigan's and Ohio St door in the future. B1G will need bold, decisive, calculated, smart leadership in the coming year. Not sure I have faith in the leadership at the top.

Did you read that article?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The biggest counter punch to a move on the scale of Texas and Oklahoma is with Notre Dame and USC. And that is far pretty fetched. Although, would ND be more likely to come on board if USC does? Hmmm, that’d bring in a lot of money.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Did you read that article?

Yes. Just because he said he doesn't see UM and OSU going anywhere doesn't mean I believe him if the B1G falls into second conference status to the SEC and sees their revenues drop in the future.....$$ talks...and if OSU and Michigan's bottom line starts to feel it due to the SEC dominating college football...you don't think they will jump ship?

• Like 1