Conference Realignment

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

The new PAC12 commish is George Kliavkoff.  He's formerly the president of entertainment and sports for MGM International.  Before that he worked for MLB Advanced Media, Hulu, and others. Check him out. 

Is that impressive? Sure...and Kevin Warren came from the NFL as CEO of the Vikings...but his failures with COVID last year in taking aggressive, proactive measures hasn't really endeared me to him much. The thing is as well...the Commissoners only have so much power...in the end it will come down to School Presidents putting pressure and taking votes...but I would hope Kevin is being aggressive and utilizing the platform the B1G has established to make a case for aggressive expanse. The last thing I want is in 10 years to be caught with our pants down and have UM and OSU join the SEC because they can't keep a competitive balance leaving IU and others to whither on the vine like we see happening to most of the BIG 12 that is left.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Is that impressive? Sure...and Kevin Warren came from the NFL as CEO of the Vikings...but his failures with COVID last year in taking aggressive, proactive measures hasn't really endeared me to him much. The thing is as well...the Commissoners only have so much power...in the end it will come down to School Presidents putting pressure and taking votes...but I would hope Kevin is being aggressive and utilizing the platform the B1G has established to make a case for aggressive expanse. The last thing I want is in 10 years to be caught with our pants down and have UM and OSU join the SEC because they can't keep a competitive balance leaving IU and others to whither on the vine like we see happening to most of the BIG 12 that is left.

Yep....I totally agree.  I had heard an online interview where those discussing this issue mentioned the new PAC12 commissioner as being a stronger tougher personality than his predecessor.  They also mentioned that OSU AD Gene Smith made some comments regarding Warren at the BIG media day that could be interpreted as a warning shot over the bow, regarding his performance.  The interview was on a OSU football fan site....Buckeye Scoop.  Sorry, don't have reporters names.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

The new PAC12 commish is George Kliavkoff.  He's formerly the president of entertainment and sports for MGM International.  Before that he worked for MLB Advanced Media, Hulu, and others. Check him out. 

I'll have to dive more into him later but the little I know of him sounds like they have a guy who is used to going against the grain a tad....and he obviously wants to change the Pac's TV deal.

I've long thought the Pac should have Friday night football presented by Apple or Amazon or Google or Nike or whatever large corporation calls the west coast home. Huge window on Friday night's for them to capture market share for their conference. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll have to dive more into him later but the little I know of him sounds like they have a guy who is used to going against the grain a tad....and he obviously wants to change the Pac's TV deal.

I've long thought the Pac should have Friday night football presented by Apple or Amazon or Google or Nike or whatever large corporation calls the west coast home. Huge window on Friday night's for them to capture market share for their conference. 

They signed a horrible tv deal if I remember correctly...and not only that it was a long term deal I think several years ago. One thing we have seen is that having several smaller bites at the tv apple has put the B1G and SEC ahead of most conferences. Locking into a long term deal as the landscape shifted dramatically didn't allow them to be flexible. Why not sign on to some 2 year deal with amazon or youtube tv (google) and do a week night league with perhaps a single saturday marquee matchup in the afternoon/evening? They needed to take chances. It doesn't help their flagship programs have wavered recently. They really need Oregon, USC, and Washington to really step up their recruiting and performance.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Have to disagree with you here. Friday nights should be held for high school football only. The big guys can figure out market share, profit margins and the like without infringing on the kids who ultimately feed their systems.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Interesting article on the conference realignment going on

It would seem to me there's an opportunity to be had with Fox Sports and the BTN to be had if they play their cards right...

I hope someone at Fox sports recognizes what is going on and puts together a deal bringing the B1G some PAC 10 teams. The potential is out there for a super conference that can rival the SEC.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Have to disagree with you here. Friday nights should be held for high school football only. The big guys can figure out market share, profit margins and the like without infringing on the kids who ultimately feed their systems.

There should be nothing else on Friday nights in the fall. Those are for HS kids. 

We compete against girlfriends, moms, basketball, baseball, video games, etc.... shouldn't have to compete against our own sport. 

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There should be nothing else on Friday nights in the fall. Those are for HS kids. 

We compete against girlfriends, moms, basketball, baseball, video games, etc.... shouldn't have to compete against our own sport. 

I remember the day when as a kid I first realized that football was like no other sport in that as you progressed up the ranks you moved one day forward and thought how cool that was. Now there are games basically everyday and it no longer exists.

HS-Fri

College-Sat

NFL-Sun/Mon

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 1

Just now, cybergates said:

I remember the day when as a kid I first realized that football was like no other sport in that as you progressed up the ranks you moved one day forward and thought how cool that was. No there are games basically everyday and it no longer exists.

HS-Fri

College-Sat

NFL-Sun/Mon

Yep. There's just nothing else like it. Colleges need to butt out of Fridays. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The old unwritten rule was college would leave Friday to the high schools and Sunday to the pros.

To me it now looks like all bets are off.

ND has a separate football contract with tv. They do not have to share that revenue with the rest of the conference that their other sports are in.

I wonder if (or how soon) Ohio state or Alabama signs their own contract and opts out of their respective conferences.

• Like 1

The more that I think about it the less I could see West Coast teams playing any other day then Saturday. The point is to bring in as many viewers as possible. If you hold a game at 8pm WCT then well no one can stay up and watch it back East. You can't start the game at noon and have no fans on a week day. So Saturday it is. As for interferring with HS football it's kind of meh to me. I played at a super small independent league high school. We had to travel all over the state and sometimes into Illinois to find other small schools to play. A majority of our games were on Saturday to accomodate travel. I don't see a problem with playing Saturday games nor another weekday like Wed or Thursday but I don't think that is going to come into play anyways. All sports are competing with outside influences. Not sure a college game would matter much. Just schedule around it I suppose if it did on occassion.

5 minutes ago, Jssanto said:

The old unwritten rule was college would leave Friday to the high schools and Sunday to the pros.

ND has a separate football contract with tv. They do not have to share that revenue with the rest of the conference that their other sports are in.

I wonder if (or how soon) Ohio state or Alabama signs their own contract and opts out of their respective conferences.

I don't even think it is unwritten. Didn't congress pass anti-trust bill to keep NFL from playing on Friday and Saturdays back in the day?

12 minutes ago, Jssanto said:

Big difference between Notre Dame and 'Bama/Brutus.  The Irish have the Catholic church on their side.  The other 2 do not.  How many Catholic FBS schools are there?  

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Trust me. Used to be the same way. But those days are long gone. There's always a way to market and help high school programs while airing a game. Could air the games and show which teams will directly benefit from it? So many inner city teams/schools would welcome that sort of help. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

The more that I think about it the less I could see West Coast teams playing any other day then Saturday. The point is to bring in as many viewers as possible. If you hold a game at 8pm WCT then well no one can stay up and watch it back East. You can't start the game at noon and have no fans on a week day. So Saturday it is. As for interferring with HS football it's kind of meh to me. I played at a super small independent league high school. We had to travel all over the state and sometimes into Illinois to find other small schools to play. A majority of our games were on Saturday to accomodate travel. I don't see a problem with playing Saturday games nor another weekday like Wed or Thursday but I don't think that is going to come into play anyways. All sports are competing with outside influences. Not sure a college game would matter much. Just schedule around it I suppose if it did on occassion.

I don't even think it is unwritten. Didn't congress pass anti-trust bill to keep NFL from playing on Friday and Saturdays back in the day?

I did not remember that. Thanks.

• Like 1