Conference Realignment

7 minutes ago, Jssanto said:

If a station/network/media chain were to start televising Hs games, I wonder how many would watch?

Play Hs games Tuesday and Friday. I have no idea if this would make money or flop.

Don't the ISHAA and schools etc do this somewhat (streaming)?  I think televising some of the largest state championships (Georgia, Florida, Texas) could get some viewers for like ESPN3 etc. Local networks probably would be limited by their syndicated tv lineups etc but I watched some AAU basketball on ESPN the other night and I could see interest in football. I think the B1G and SEC network would be wise to purchase rights to show those games....during the dry summer spells I would love to put on a game with local state teams or Ohio championships etc then rewatching games from the season.

Edited by dgambill

6 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yes and no. Los Angeles and SoCal in general is much better known as either a pro-sports town, or an apathetic town. Witness all the empty basketball seats in Pauley Pavilion the pre-covid. For sheer numbers, I agree with you, but as far as how many of those people actually would tune into a UCLA-Maryland football game, that's debatable.

Yeah you have a good point here,while a game between USC and the Buckeyes would generate some good ratings how much would most of the other matchups. Probably be pretty underwhelming, maybe that is why they PAC 12 has a pretty lackluster tv package compared to the B1G and the SEC.

22 hours ago, btownqb said:

I dont think 10-11 teams SEC will tell Oklahoma and Texas "yes" in the vote. 

Out of those SEC teams, currently, who would for sure vote yes? 

Better question is who would say no? Would Florida, S Carolina, and who else....Georgia say no because they have other power D1 schools they might get nervous would come into the SEC? I honestly think that there is sort of a bias to Texas A&M because of their Johnny come lately status to the league....like they are just a junior member and the understanding of the rest is they would never bring in Florida St/Miami/Clemson/GT to interfere with the elder schools. To me Texas A&M will stand alone as the no vote....the rest see BIG $$$.

19 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah you have a good point here,while a game between USC and the Buckeyes would generate some good ratings how much would most of the other matchups. Probably be pretty underwhelming, maybe that is why they PAC 12 has a pretty lackluster tv package compared to the B1G and the SEC.

Which is why I think that you mostly go to pods or you divide up the divisional play to keep the West coast teams playing together and East playing...only 1-2 games a year traveling outside your pods or having crossover around the conference tournament which would maybe expand to a single championship game to perhaps a final 4. In the end the Pac12 teams still raises good revenue...I think the biggest issue is that their games are harder to televise back East and they negotiated poor tv contracts. I mean Washington football is a huge revenue generating football program.....top 15 over 100 million. Basically on par with Penn St and much more than Nebraska and we brought them in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If USC does join hopefully they extend Heltons contract, that way they stay just above average and no better. 👍

• Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/options-for-big-ten-to-consider-as-texas-oklahoma-trigger-college-football-conference-realignment-talks/

"I've seen some talk about a B1G-Pac 12 merger. I don't know if that makes sense. It would be like letting your unemployed sibling sit on your couch watching tv, eating your food, and not paying rent."

Love it

30 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

This doesn't have anything to do with the B1G or IU but it is pretty funny lol.

Obviously this was a Texas fan that made this…and this right here is why they are considered the douchebags of the Big 12. Can’t wait til they become Nebraska south once they start posting losing records in the SEC.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah they were hated in the BIG 12 and i would imagine they will be hated in the SEC in no time at all.

Yeah…I changed my post and added a little to it. They definitely are…and they are going to be everyone’s favorite whipping boy in the SEC West.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Obviously this was a Texas fan that made this…and this right here is why they are considered the douchebags of the Big 12. Can’t wait til they become Nebraska south once they start posting losing records in the SEC.

Oh come on...I hope they get their @sses kicked as well, but that was still funny!!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I see that the Texas A&M regents are going to vote yes to the expansion. They must not have been to upset over this after all.

At this point they probably figure they are going to get to kick Texas a$$ for the next 10 years and make more money so why not!

• Like 2

I heard an interesting discussion about this yesterday, specifically how the conferences can combat this SEC drive to overwhelming dominance:

The SEC moves are primarily about football.  If the other conferences vote against expanding the CFB playoff, it would limit the maximum number of SEC teams in the playoff to 2.

I don't know the details of how the playoff system works or the status or procedures for expanding beyond 4 teams, but it sounds like this would really throttle the SEC (until they break away and start their own organization I suppose).