Conference Realignment

22 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I heard an interesting discussion about this yesterday, specifically how the conferences can combat this SEC drive to overwhelming dominance:

The SEC moves are primarily about football.  If the other conferences vote against expanding the CFB playoff, it would limit the maximum number of SEC teams in the playoff to 2.

I don't know the details of how the playoff system works or the status or procedures for expanding beyond 4 teams, but it sounds like this would really throttle the SEC (until they break away and start their own organization I suppose).

I have seen all kinds of suggestions concerning how to "get the SEC back" for this.  So far my favorite has been the Selection Committee being anti-SEC when it comes to at-large bids for the NCAA basketball tournament.

But yeah the CFp committee(or whatever it is called) could absolutely limit participants and have a say so in how a conference schedule is to be made to qualify for the play-offs.

41 minutes ago, rico said:

I have seen all kinds of suggestions concerning how to "get the SEC back" for this.  So far my favorite has been the Selection Committee being anti-SEC when it comes to at-large bids for the NCAA basketball tournament.

But yeah the CFp committee(or whatever it is called) could absolutely limit participants and have a say so in how a conference schedule is to be made to qualify for the play-offs.

You have to figure there will be a response of some sort by the B1G, PAC whatever,  and ACC.  I think the SEC egos are running a little wild when they think Ohio State and Michigan would bend over backwards to join them.  Hell, Texas fans think they're coming in to run things in the SEC. Texas is the super hot crazy girl.  Good luck SEC!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

You have to figure there will be a response of some sort by the B1G, PAC whatever,  and ACC.  I think the SEC egos are running a little wild when they think Ohio State and Michigan would bend over backwards to join them.  Hell, Texas fans think they're coming in to run things in the SEC. Texas is the super hot crazy girl.  Good luck SEC!

I can't help but wonder if this is all going to backfire myself.  I mean c'mon, Texas football makes lots of money but they haven't been in the NC picture for awhile.  The 'Horns might struggle win many games in the SEC.  I also seems like OU is jumping out of a pond that they were the big fish in and jumping into a bigger pond with more big fish.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rico said:

I can't help but wonder if this is all going to backfire myself.  I mean c'mon, Texas football makes lots of money but they haven't been in the NC picture for awhile.  The 'Horns might struggle win many games in the SEC.  I also seems like OU is jumping out of a pond that they were the big fish in and jumping into a bigger pond with more big fish.  

1000%

• Like 1

There's a part of me that doesn't care about the conference aspect of all this.  If Gonzaga can put together consistently good teams (Butler did in the past also), just put together a great program and win against whoever the competition is.  There can be more joy in being a Boise State than a Vanderbilt in football, and beyond the shared revenue most of the SEC teams are just "also rans".

13 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

There's a part of me that doesn't care about the conference aspect of all this.  If Gonzaga can put together consistently good teams (Butler did in the past also), just put together a great program and win against whoever the competition is.  There can be more joy in being a Boise State than a Vanderbilt in football, and beyond the shared revenue most of the SEC teams are just "also rans".

What does Gonzaga and Butler have to do with anything?  This is purely a football thing.  

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

As good as Oklahoma will already man the absolute gauntlet of the SEC in football... 

The SEC will be even better at baseball and softball now. Shew 

Of the 8 national seeds in softball and baseball (16 total)- 11 of them will now be in the SEC. 

So you're saying the SEC will be after IU next for our baseball team? :coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

SEC football is reputation. It's Alabama. Alabama is what the rest of the league latches onto. It's a common joke down here.

Unless a team catches lightning in a bottle with a qb ala LSU or Auburn, they aren't any better than the better teams in the other leagues.

And they have their dogs too. Vandy, Ark, Miss St, Mizzou, Tenn, Kentucky, South Carolina, etc.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It's been a couple of years, but Minnesota has a long and storied history of being in the NCAA tournament as well as winning conference championships.

10 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

SEC football is reputation. It's Alabama. Alabama is what the rest of the league latches onto. It's a common joke down here.

Unless a team catches lightning in a bottle with a qb ala LSU or Auburn, they aren't any better than the better teams in the other leagues.

And they have their dogs too. Vandy, Ark, Miss St, Mizzou, Tenn, Kentucky, South Carolina, etc.

Florida? Georgia? 

They've had 5 different schools play for a title since 2008- Bama, Auburn, UGA, Florida, LSU.. 

Since 2006 they've won 11 of the 15 titles... with 4 different schools winning them. There is literally no other conference that's comparable. 

Those 5 schools vs. OSU, UM, PSU, UW, and Iowa year in and year out.... SEC takes the vast majority of them. 

LSU has won 3 titles since 2003 and one was by Matty Mauck cmon now... good QB play and winning wasn't invented by the SEC. These schools are loaded. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It's been a couple of years, but Minnesota has a long and storied history of being in the NCAA tournament as well as winning conference championships.

Didn't mean to quote you in the other comment... 

But check out what Indiana did to Minny in baseball this year. They're atrocious right now. 

Edited by btownqb